D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Setareh Pishdad
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:02 pm
Nice work. And glad to hear that someone else makes multiple attempts to get a "keeper". I sometimes make a dozen or more attempts before getting a decent recording.
Hi Tom, yes and after recording I see a whole different perspective of my hands which I hadn't seen before and I notice the many things I need to correct! :roll:

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:28 pm
Setareh - really liked your Malaguena. I like how you keep your right fingers moving, with little or no hesitation, as you go from measure to measure. Something I need to work on.

Ed
Thank you Ed. I noticed while you were playing your pieces you kept your left hand fingers close to the fret board, I really need to work on that so it becomes ingrained.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm
Tom - I liked it - I will give it a try.

I also took an attempt, lost it in the middle a little bit, at the SOR LECON IV opus 60. I used it more as a counting exercise.

Youtube
Ed, your Sor sounds very good. I really like that you are counting it all the way through. It's a rhythmically challenging piece for me. I will have to count it very slowly and work in segments.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Lucian, thank you!

Your exercises sound good. With Malagueña I did the same thing the others suggested which was to break it into pieces and work on it in segments and then put it together. It helped although there were several measures that threw me off every time :)

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm

redo of Malaguena - still choppy and a few stumbles

Youtube

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Just for curious, why do you have look at your right hand? Most right hand guitar players dont have to look at it.
Do you have right hand and left hand synchronize problem ?(pick wrong string for right hand or fret wrong string for left hand)
If you do have this problem , I recommend you practice chromatic scale. So your right hand can pluck
automatically without thinking about it. Thats your main goal now.
If you constantly have to watch both hand, it will slow you down and also bad for your neck. Seriously!
I'm glad that you're improving. Keep it up Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm
redo of Malaguena - still choppy and a few stumbles

Youtube
Ed, you're doing much better. Seriously. I can see your effort paying off.

I agree with Binh, and think he's made a great suggestion on what to do about it. I always thought taking your eyes off the score while playing was a bad idea but wasn't sure what to suggest you do to correct it.

Don't give up too quickly on Bihn's scale practice suggestion. I've heard that practice involves a lot of problem solving, and I agree (I'm still trying to play Malaguena without screwing it up by the way :oops: ). Find a way to use the chromatic scale practice or something similar and wean yourself off of having to look where you place your fingers. Maybe try a look once then repeat/play 5 times without errors approach, working a few measures at a time or something like that.

Have fun! :bravo:
1989 Takamine C132S

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 pm

And now I'll show you what happens when I try to play Malaguena too quickly..... Also, note the squeaking sounds that began to occur when the tension I felt while playing began to make my left hand sweat.

Youtube
1989 Takamine C132S

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm

BInh, Tom - thanks for the advice - it is now more a bad habit and a crutch, that I need to break. I like your suggestions,

Ed

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Nice work Tom! This is a hard song and you play it with fire and really enjoy it. :bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Tom - that was excellent. I really enjoyed listening and watching you play.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:12 pm

:merci: Thanks Ed and Binh.
1989 Takamine C132S

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Ed's left hand is perfect. All fingers are naturally curled and relaxed. I can't see Ed's right hand tho, because of the camera angle. If I can see your right hand pose, maybe we can find the root of the problem. Please change the camera angle Ed.

Tom's left hand is messed up. I often think fingers are like soldiers. Veteran soldiers are disciplined, they only move when the general told them to. They keep cool and won't be affected by their ally's movement. While untrained, rookie soldiers move by themselves. They are stiff, confused and follow other soldiers without permission. Please practice scale without your right hand (no pluck) and left thumb (no hold), use only 4 left hand fingers, move slowly, touch the guitar board gently, fret by fret, string by string. That's what I often did when I my hands are stiff.
Hope that helps. :D
Last edited by Binh NguyenKhac on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Binh - on my next recording I will change my camera angle. I know one problem I have is with the "a" finger of the right hand - I just don't trust it. I have added scales using variations of "i-m-a" to my daily practice.

Ed

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”