D05 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today we're going to look at 5 pieces.

- page 6 Luys de Narvàez (ca. 1500-1555) Diferencias sobre guardame las vacas
These "diferencias" (variations) are based on the sequence of four chords (C major, G major, A minor and E major) laid out in the first four bars of the work, and are among the oldest variations ever found in print.
Each "diferencia" consists of eight bars. The harmonies of the first four bars are repeated in the next four bars, with the last two chords (A minor and E major) both incorporated into bar 7. This makes it possible to conclude with a perfect cadence in A minor, while still fitting the phrase into an 8 bar structure.
The remaining "diferencias" elaborate on the initial harmonic sequence. Hemiolas abound, the rhythmic freeness giving the piece a jubilant lightness.
I indicate the hemiolas with broken lines above the staff. See this video extract, where I demonstrate the hemiolas in bars 9 to 12.

Youtube

These "Diferencias sobre guardame las vacas" conclude in a coda of 4 bars where the 4 initial chords (C major, G major, A minor and E major), which were until now dotted whole notes (dotted semibreves), are contracted at the end into 3 quarter notes and 1 half note (3 crotchets and 1 minim).

Youtube

Don't hesitate to improvise on this sequence of 4 chords, keeping strictly to 6/4 time.

Youtube

- page 14 John Dowland (1563-1626) Lady Laiton's almain
The allemande (almain or alman), a dance from the 15th and 16th centuries, is accompanied by music in a binary rhythm. According to Thoinot Arbeau, it is of a medium solemnity, which gives it the pace of a rather heavy pavane. The allemande is a very sober dance, in which the dancers promenade in pairs in open position (side by side). With its origins in very ancient popular tradition, it symbolizes not only seduction but also ravishment. It disappeared at the beginning of the 17th century and the only memory it leaves behind is in the instrumental suite.
http://youtu.be/2rXXHgCkcxg

Youtube

- page 40 François Campion (1680-1748) Prélude à 4 têms
François Campion is the next most significant French guitarist of the baroque period after Robert de Visée. He was Master of guitar and theorbo at the Royal Academy of Music in Paris.

Youtube

- page 56 Fernando Sor (1778-1839) Leçon XVIII opus 60
This is to be practised first with chords, and then with different patterns of arpeggio. As far as the right hand is concerned, the ring finger plays the first string, the middle finger plays the second, and the index finger plays the first, while the thumb plays the 3 bass strings.

Youtube

In bars 24 and 25 the third finger serves as a pivot, so leave it resting in position on the third string.

Youtube

Youtube

- page 90 Francisco Tàrrega (1852-1909) Estudio en forma de minuetto
This minuet in A major, in the A B A' form, starts with a 3 bar phrase which ends in an open manner (like a question) on the dominant E followed by a 3 bar response which concludes the first phrase with a perfect cadence in A major. The second section (bars 11 to 18) is in the key of the dominant (E). Finally, the third section repeats the first section with a small variation in bar 25.
In bars 3, 6, 10, 21, 24 and 28 damp the preceding bass note.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 6 Luys de Narvàez (ca. 1500-1555) Diferencias sobre guardame las vacas
- page 56 Fernando Sor (1778-1839) Leçon XVIII opus 60

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Thank you for starting a clean new topic without last years posts!

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Yes, after some feedback from many of the forums including french, spanish, etc, the Maestro has decided to use the previous method of posting a fresh lesson posting.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Here is Guardame Las Vacas.

I found that I did not have to tune the 3rd string to F#. I tried it both ways and found that it was perfectly ok in standard tuning.

Youtube
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Jeffrey you played the piece very nicely. I also like your idea to make four recordings instead of one.
Some observations:
In bar 7 you play it like it is 8/4ths and not 6/4ths. You last 3 notes should last 3/4.
In bar 26 the 1st note re should last 3/4.
If I see correctly you do not make any dumpings? In 1st and 2nd part there are many dumping signs you should do and in 3d part there are many pauses in the bassline, so dumpings are needed there too.

:bravo:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”