D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Grayson Bray Morris
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for the observation, Angela — I think it must be the camera angle, as I was very definitely striking downward (I can't even imagine what it would take for me to be able to do it upward! :) ) That said, I found the rest stroke for the thumb to be very difficult on this piece, so I defaulted to the free stroke a lot, I think.

In other news, I understand that Dutch Santa is en route with my new Cordoba Cadete... I can't wait for December 5 to arrive! From now on my lesson videos will feature a proper classical guitar (if not quite yet a proper classical guitarist ;) ).
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

andrethompson

Post by andrethompson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks!

andrethompson

Post by andrethompson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am

Grayson Bray Morris wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 pm
Hi, all! Some good work already posted here.

After some weep-inducing mishaps over several days in which my iPad failed to record when I thought it was, I finally have all four of my videos in the ether.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Lovely Work Grayson!
Love the steel strings.

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Hello Classmates. Here are the recordings for Lesson 03.
I, admittedly, have some form of 'stage fright'...because every time I hit the record button, I start making all kids of mistakes that were not there during the practice runs. So after MANY outtakes, I chose the following:

Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE

Youtube

Anonyme : Good-morning to all

Youtube

Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a

Youtube

Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Youtube

:merci:

I really appreciate your comments, the ones I have received to this point have gotten me thinking a lot about my playing.
Warm Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Angela Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 am
Hi Yucel,
You may be hearing the other strings pick up the vibrations of the guitar. That's pretty typical. There's a name for it but I can't remember what it is. It happens especially when you play bass notes.
Hi Angela and Yucel, I believe the term is 'string resonance'. I started getting the same vibrations during the 'Chemim' piece. I am glad to hear that it is a normal thing, because I was thinking of the worse case scenario: That I may have a faulty guitar, and that somehow in an untrained fashion, I would have to take it apart and reassemble it. :shock:

Maybe I am just being dramatic.

Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Grayson Bray Morris wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 pm
Hi, all! Some good work already posted here.

After some weep-inducing mishaps over several days in which my iPad failed to record when I thought it was, I finally have all four of my videos in the ether.
Grayson,
Very nice work with your videos. I do (and always have) enjoy the sound of the steel strings. It appears to me that you stay on track timing very well. In listening to your recordings, I realize I have to pay more attention to the timing as it is written.

Warm Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Angela Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am
I’ve only practiced these a couple of days because somehow I didn’t notice this lesson was posted. My own fault to be sure. So they’re a bit choppy.

I definitely have a hard time muting with my thumb and my pinkies are definitely not relaxed. I’m going to slow down when I practice to try and get the pinkies to give up their fight to be curled up. I think going slow will help with the thumb muting too.

My rhythm is a bit messed up in places where I made a mistake.

Also, why do I look ticked off when I play....LOL I was even making the duck face in the last one. Geez

I do feel like some of it is coming back. I was able to pull out my old music and sort of play it. That made me happy. Anyhow, here are the videos.

Thank you for your videos Angela. I really enjoyed listening to the pieces. Your posture is good, and the timing is good. I also share the hard time with the muting at the annotated places.
I think we are ok with pieces with some minor 'choppiness'. I believe the intent is to post right away and then have the remainder of the month to keep practicing with the received peer comments.
'Duck Face'... :lol: you had me smiling with that comment. A friend of mine once said to me "How come classical guitarists are so empty of emotion while playing?" hahaha, I replied "We are totally emotional, we are just concentrating!"
Anyways. Great job!
Warm Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Yucel Kamcez wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 pm
Hi, everyone,

Have a nice day! I hadn't enough time to make practise but i tried to do my best. I hope you gonna enjoy

Sincerely,
Yucel
WOW! :shock:
For someone who didn't have enough time to practice, you got homeruns on these pieces!
Thank you for posting all of the exercises, there is a nice consistency on your work. 'Leccion 5a' was a beautiful execution.
I do have an observation, and it is not related to the quality of tone I perceived.
For the 'Chemim' piece, I noticed that you opted to not go with the thumb (P) on the base strings. Any particular reason for opting to go i,m on those?
In my case, I ended up using i,m on the 7th bar when going from that G to the F and E. Making that transition from i,m to P was a train wreck for me every time. I'll continue practicing that transition.
I have been tinkering around with the 'Sagreras First Lessons', and in those first lessons the upper strings are also played with i,m. The P is introduced later in the book. So, the i,m fingering is comfortable for me too.
Great work!!

Warm Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Angela Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am
I’m confused. As I understand it P means thumb but in Mr Delcamps video he is using his index and middle fingers for the notes on Lo, Nous Marchons Sur Un Etroit Chemin??? Am I missing something?

I used my thumb in the recording.
You are correct. The P as indicated is for the thumb. Not quite sure if there has been some form of a statement on Maestro Delcamp using i,m in the video.
I also played it with the thumb in most places indicated.
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

andrethompson

Post by andrethompson » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 pm

I follow the sheet music.

andrethompson

Post by andrethompson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:36 am

Juan M Silva wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:12 pm
Hello Classmates. Here are the recordings for Lesson 03.
I, admittedly, have some form of 'stage fright'...because every time I hit the record button, I start making all kids of mistakes that were not there during the practice runs. So after MANY outtakes, I chose the following:

Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE

Youtube

Anonyme : Good-morning to all

Youtube

Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a

Youtube

Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Youtube

:merci:

I really appreciate your comments, the ones I have received to this point have gotten me thinking a lot about my playing.
Warm Regards,
Juan
Hi Juan

Nice playing. I can see you put a lot of time behind the practice.
Keep it up!

andrethompson

Post by andrethompson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 am

Angela Carter wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am
I’ve only practiced these a couple of days because somehow I didn’t notice this lesson was posted. My own fault to be sure. So they’re a bit choppy.

I definitely have a hard time muting with my thumb and my pinkies are definitely not relaxed. I’m going to slow down when I practice to try and get the pinkies to give up their fight to be curled up. I think going slow will help with the thumb muting too.

My rhythm is a bit messed up in places where I made a mistake.

Also, why do I look ticked off when I play....LOL I was even making the duck face in the last one. Geez

I do feel like some of it is coming back. I was able to pull out my old music and sort of play it. That made me happy. Anyhow, here are the videos.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Hi Angela

Nice playing. Bright notes.
I think you have strong fingers which is excellent for guitar playing.
Good job!

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 am

Thank you Juan and Andre for the comments.

Juan, the only things I would have pointed out on your videos was the use of your thumb rather than I and the timing. It’s great that you are seeing your timing already and now I understand that using the thumb was. Deliberate choice. Great work!

The only thing I would add is that on the Lecion song you repeated your indes when the two notes were in adjacent strings. You want to try to alternate even when the notes are on separate strings because it affects your timing. At least that is my understanding.

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am

andrethompson wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am
Lovely Work Grayson!
Love the steel strings.
Juan M Silva wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 pm
Grayson,
Very nice work with your videos. I do (and always have) enjoy the sound of the steel strings. It appears to me that you stay on track timing very well. In listening to your recordings, I realize I have to pay more attention to the timing as it is written.
Thank you, Andre and Juan!
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am

Yucel, well done! Your playing feels skillful and controlled, and I love how expressive your left-hand fingers are. They seem to dance in glee across the frets. I suspect that economy of motion is the 'holy grail', but as long as what you're doing works for you, well, it's a pleasure to watch.

Angela, you did a great job, especially for only a couple days' practice! Hats off.

Andre, lovely work! Your posture is excellent, you seem relaxed throughout, and oh, do I envy your ability to play at tempo. You make it look easy!

Juan, I hear you on the 'stage fright' thing — we could call it The Murphy-Schroedinger Performance Phenomenon: whereby a song one can play perfectly when unobserved is unfailingly riddled with mistakes when observed. (I demonstrated a corollary this week: if one plays perfectly while recording, said recording will inevitably be lost before anyone else can see it ;) .) That said, I thought your playing was quite good in the videos — especially on Lo, nous marchons. The fingers of both hands seemed to move with incredible ease, and you looked and sounded to me like someone who's been playing guitar for quite some time. Well done!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”