D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we'll revise some techanical exercises from volume D02.
- page 73, numbers 6 and 7.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers seem too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by playing these exercises in 3rd or 5th position. Then your fingers won't need to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 2 pieces, pages 10, 16 and 17.
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
A Toye consists of three sections of four bars each, the third section being identical to the first. So this piece has an a-b-a structure, also sometimes called a Lied form (or ternary form).

The first section is in the key of A major, and you can see in it the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The second section is in the key of D major. A major and D major are closely related keys, which means that they have 6 notes in common and just one different note between them. The G is sharp in A major but natural in D major.

Youtube
The Lied (ternary) form is often used by composers, and you will find five other examples in the same volume:
Juan Bobrowitz : Danse polonaise
Joseph Meissonnier : Andante affettuoso
Mauro Giuliani : Écossaise n°10 opus 33
Fernando Sor : Allegretto n°2 opus 44
Felix Horetzky : Amusement opus 18 no.10

- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES
This piece comes from flamenco music, but the rhythm doesn't follow the traditional pattern of accented beats over a 12 beat phrase (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12). The mode used is the Andalusian mode: E F G# A B C D E. The repeats are necessary, in order to preserve the structure based on groups of four bars.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

A TOYE
SOLEARES

Ed Butler
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Tom Wimsatt
SOLEARES

Lucian Bistreanu
A TOYE
:( + ♫ = :)

Colin Bullock

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:23 am

Just to let you all know I will be updating the index of completed assignments this weekend, but will only do further updates once each week until nearer the exam.

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm

My first recording attempts. My focus was to not let my eyes drift to the right hand. On the SOLARES I missed a couple of repeats. On the Atoye, I missed the damping.

Youtube

Youtube

Ed

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Good Job! Ed :bravo: you don't look at your right hand anymore.

One thing I found in your videos is that: your guitar tone is sharp. Because of the camera angle, I can't see your right hand, but I guess: it's the angle of your fingers to the strings. If it's close to 90 degrees, then the tone is sharp. Acute angle attack produces softer sound.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/paY0m0
Last edited by Binh NguyenKhac on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Binh - thank you. You are right, it would be the angle of my fingers. I thought they were supposed to be close to 90 degrees. I will work on angling the fingers and re-record the pieces in a couple of weeks.

Ed

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:33 am

Dear Ed, Nice work. Try breaking the piece to sections and playing the piece by keeping your eyes on one item.... I believe the most important thing is listening to your music and you can not do this if you are constantly rotating your view from LH, RH, and the music. Hope this helps. Nelson.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Nelson, thanks I will use your advice during my practice.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:06 am

This was a nasty one to learn. Here's my first try. I found the low E string muting in Falseta 3 totally frustrating.

Youtube
Soleares Take 1
1989 Takamine C132S

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Here is my attempt of A Toye

Youtube

By the way, well done Tom and Ed, :bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Lucian, Tom, - very good, enjoyed listening to each piece.

ED

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Lucian and Ed. Here's my first attempt at A Toye, played a bit too slow but I'm working on it.

Youtube

A Toye, 1st Try
1989 Takamine C132S

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Tom - well done. I am using the Toye piece to keep me i-m finger alternating with the right hand. If I don't pay attention, I get lazy and stop alternating.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm
Tom - well done. I am using the Toye piece to keep me i-m finger alternating with the right hand. If I don't pay attention, I get lazy and stop alternating.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I've noticed a similar problem with RH technique where I sometimes lapse into a "random fingering" mode, randomly applying i - a or m-a fingering instead of what is required, and (in my case) never the same pattern twice during a piece. Like you, this happens when I'm in too big a hurry or am not concentrating. I normally just stop and start over.
1989 Takamine C132S

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm
My first recording attempts. My focus was to not let my eyes drift to the right hand.
You did well keeping focus. Just watch the timing eg Toye starts off ok 1st bar but then loses timing and the lilt that the piece has.
Keep up the good work

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Colin - thank you and I agree. Hopefully my next effort will keep the timing for the duration of the piece.

Ed

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”