D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 am

Hi Tom - that is exactly what I did after transposing your notes.

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Excellent advice from everyone, good progress beign made all round

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 am
thumbnail.jpgEd, you are improving, not looking at your left hand is helping you I think. I hear less hesitation between notes. All good.

Once you get comfortable with the notes you should start working on tempo. I penciled in the count as shown in the attached photo. Be sure and count out loud, and try to maintain a steady beat/count. Otherwise counting isn't doing much good. :D
This is very helpful, I've written out the counts and kept counting out load initially before I used the metronome, it really helped me!

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 am

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 am
Not sure that 'better than nothing' works in my case. Anyway, I got this one 'better late than never' right :)
Soleares

Youtube
Lucian, your Soleares sounds good. You are so good at keeping your left hand fingers close to the fret board. Maybe you can practice each small section trying not to look at your hands, I think it may be causing you to slow down.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:18 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 pm
Another attempt at Soleares. Still stumble now and then.

Youtube
Soleares Try #2
Tom, this Soleares sounds really good. You are playing it at such fast tempo, it wasn't easy but you seem to be playing it with ease :)

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm
my next attempt at ATOYE - stumbled a bit - tried to keep the lilt - missed the damping (I have to work on making my thumb automatically hit the damp after striking the note).

Youtube
Ed, your Atoye sounds good, it's great you are counting. I noticed your right hand fingers were pointing downward, maybe it's the camera angle but that seems like it could prevent easy access for m and a. Again, it could be from the angle but it's just a thought.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 am

Here are my recordings of Atoye and Soleares, looking forward to hearing your feedback.

https://youtu.be/qekidxh4ehk
https://youtu.be/WPR5oI6Zt1U

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Setareh - well done. I really liked your SOLARES - very little hesitation as your moved to each now movement. Bin also noticed my fingers more at 90 degrees instead of an angle - I need to work on correcting that.

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Setareh Pishdad wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 am
Here are my recordings of Atoye and Soleares, looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Setareh, once again very well done. Thank you for the feedback, too.
Lucian

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Setareh Pishdad wrote:

Setareh, Nice job with AToye! I could see you counting as you played and I think you played it very well. Soleares sounded good also, I found that piece hard to play without messing up. I'd work on the triplets until I could play them smoothly, only to mess them up when playing from the beginning (indicating I was probably rushing things).

When trying to build playing skill with Soleares, one thing I tried to do also was to play it slower. MUCH SLOWER than I am otherwise inclined. A metronome is very useful when doing this (I progressed with settings of 50, 55, 60 etc.,). I know some feel a Metronome is a crutch, but I use it occasionally for just this sort of thing, and to help me learn to play at more than one speed.

At first it was actually more difficult to play certain parts, especially when I played at the 50 setting. I found this very frustrating at first. If you notice this happens, keep at it and you'll be surprised. Believe it or not, it can help. I noticed you got off tempo a couple of times while playing (Soleares). When this happened to me, I knew I was getting "mentally overloaded" so to speak and I need to slow it down and work on things a bit more.

Hope this helps. :okok:
1989 Takamine C132S

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 pm
Setareh - well done. I really liked your SOLARES - very little hesitation as your moved to each now movement. Bin also noticed my fingers more at 90 degrees instead of an angle - I need to work on correcting that.

Ed
Thanks so much for taking the time to listen. I have to work on Soleares for so long to become semi- fluent. I kept urging myself for two weeks now to post videos but a different section seemed to fall apart at each practice session. I guess it is a work in progress.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm
Setareh Pishdad wrote:

Setareh, Nice job with AToye! I could see you counting as you played and I think you played it very well. Soleares sounded good also, I found that piece hard to play without messing up. I'd work on the triplets until I could play them smoothly, only to mess them up when playing from the beginning (indicating I was probably rushing things).

When trying to build playing skill with Soleares, one thing I tried to do also was to play it slower. MUCH SLOWER than I am otherwise inclined. A metronome is very useful when doing this (I progressed with settings of 50, 55, 60 etc.,). I know some feel a Metronome is a crutch, but I use it occasionally for just this sort of thing, and to help me learn to play at more than one speed.

At first it was actually more difficult to play certain parts, especially when I played at the 50 setting. I found this very frustrating at first. If you notice this happens, keep at it and you'll be surprised. Believe it or not, it can help. I noticed you got off tempo a couple of times while playing (Soleares). When this happened to me, I knew I was getting "mentally overloaded" so to speak and I need to slow it down and work on things a bit more.

Hi Tom, thanks for the suggestions, they are very helpful. You are so right, I lost staying with the beat a few times in Soleares. I will slow it down to get the challenging parts more solid (mentally overloaded is a very good way of describing it), I'm still learning to embrace the metronome. I'm also still finding it hard playing Atoye faster, I will keep at it to see if I can do better with the tempo.thanks again!

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 am

Setareh Pishdad wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm
Setareh Pishdad wrote:

Hi Tom, thanks for the suggestions, they are very helpful. You are so right, I lost staying with the beat a few times in Soleares. I will slow it down to get the challenging parts more solid (mentally overloaded is a very good way of describing it), I'm still learning to embrace the metronome. I'm also still finding it hard playing Atoye faster, I will keep at it to see if I can do better with the tempo.thanks again!
Setareh. Glad this helps. All of us have similar challenges learning these pieces. I think it's the intent.

As for speed, let that develop on its own. I believe pieces played at an even tempo always sound right, regardless of speed (though some speeds are "better" I suppose). Just google "Malaguena" and you'll see what I mean. You'll see all manner of speed when it's played.

Oh.. And don't forget to tap your feet, or whatever you do while playing, when using the metronome.

Back to work.. :chitarrista:
1989 Takamine C132S

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”