D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am

Andrei,

The renditions sound flawless to me. Your hands were very stable and the movements were dead on. Excellent job.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am
Andrei,

The renditions sound flawless to me. Your hands were very stable and the movements were dead on. Excellent job.
Thank you, Chu, I appreciate your feedback!
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am

Nice left hand movement Andrei: the transition is quick and accurate :bravo: . I enjoy your videos :casque:
Can I ask you a question though, what is the line that connect note (A) from meassure 16 to note B, the second note of meassure 17?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am
what is the line that connect note (A) from meassure 16 to note B, the second note of meassure 17?
It is just to show that the 2nd finger moves position along the string to play the B
Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm
Here are my submission for two of the pieces.
Very confidently played.
I like the emphasis/stress you put into the Petite Etude, makes it very musical. Sounds a little staccato on some notes which should go with a little practice. Excellent
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm
Here is my 2/3 of the assignment:
Always amazed at your speed and confidence. The Etude is very smooth and flowing, beautifully played.

I’m somewhat behind as I needed to get an instrument body assembled, but hope to post rest of lesson2 soon and then move on to 3.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am
Nice left hand movement Andrei: the transition is quick and accurate :bravo: . I enjoy your videos :casque:
Thank you, Binh! Carulli's piece was not that easy for the left hand actually, especially the measure next to the measure in a rectangle: for this I have success rate like 50%. So, you can imagine that I did a lot of takes :)
Harmonics in Petite Etude were not good: the second one was pretty much the sound of an open string. It is too difficult to get fret 4 harmonics right two times in a row :) 12, 7, 5 fret harmonics are way much easier...
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Here is my 2/3 of the assignment:
Always amazed at your speed and confidence. The Etude is very smooth and flowing, beautifully played.

I’m somewhat behind as I needed to get an instrument body assembled, but hope to post rest of lesson2 soon and then move on to 3.
Thank you, Colin!
I like that attitude: need to finish building my guitar before starting to practice :lol:
Cordoba C9

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Andrei,
Excellent work! I'll just echo what our classmates have mentioned already:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
- page 49 Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7
You've managed a very lively tempo. The LH chord changes are very smooth, and the RH arpeggio is impressive.
Andrei Puhach wrote:

- page 103 Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude
A very sensitive interpretation, despite the fact that 4th string harmonics are notoriously difficult on the guitar. I don't think I get mine to sound even half the time.
John
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm
hope to post rest of lesson2 soon and then move on to 3.
Great to hear, Colin! I'm looking forward to your postings.
John

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm

JohnEllis wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:27 pm
4th string harmonics are notoriously difficult on the guitar. I don't think I get mine to sound even half the time.
John
I have better luck when plucking near the bridge. I'll say around 60% of the time, but even when I can hit the notes, they don't sound good at all.

For the Paganini's piece, I don't really understand or like the speed up in tempo on measure 7th, 15th, etc. I constantly mess up not only on but around these measures. And do you think there is some bending at measure 22 and 23?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm
JohnEllis wrote:
4th string harmonics are notoriously difficult on the guitar. I don't think I get mine to sound even half the time.
John
I have better luck when plucking near the bridge. I'll say around 60% of the time, but even when I can hit the notes, they don't sound good at all.

For the Paganini's piece, I don't really understand or like the speed up in tempo on measure 7th, 15th, etc. I constantly mess up not only on but around these measures. And do you think there is some bending at measure 22 and 23?
Yeah, these speed ups are way too dramatic but kind of work well in the first major part :)
I think prof. Delcamp uses normal tension strings and is pressing too hard (with a bit bending too) at measure 22.
Measure 23 is very difficult to do right using the 4-0-2-1-2-4 fingering.
I'm trying to simulate a similar tempo/tone change at these measures (part 1), but it is indeed not easy.
What I don't like is speeding up at the last measure (the minor part), it sounds out of place.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 am

JohnEllis wrote:
Hi Andrei,
Excellent work! I'll just echo what our classmates have mentioned already:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
- page 49 Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7
You've managed a very lively tempo. The LH chord changes are very smooth, and the RH arpeggio is impressive.
Thank you, John! I actually find Variation C more useful for RH development as it involves a-m-a-m-a alterations which are more difficult to do than regular p-i-m-a arpeggios. Probably I'll post a video in a couple days.
JohnEllis wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:

- page 103 Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude
A very sensitive interpretation, despite the fact that 4th string harmonics are notoriously difficult on the guitar. I don't think I get mine to sound even half the time.
John
As Chu mentioned (and as I read in archived lessons from the previous year) it helps to pluck closer to the bridge. But the pinky placement is also very important of course. And synchronization too.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 am

Finally, the Paganini piece is ready. My problem is that damps produce too much buzzing/clicking sound.

- pages 74, 75 Paganini, Niccolò - Ghiribizzo n°17 Le Streghe

Youtube
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am

Your cat photobombed at the last moment :lol: . Well done Andrei, your technique and your beard is gorgeous :bravo:

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am
Your cat photobombed at the last moment :lol: . Well done Andrei, your technique and your beard is gorgeous :bravo:
Haha, thank you Binh! That's the lights and shades which made the beard look bigger :)) The cat almost always hides when I'm recording but ok when I'm just playing, not sure why...
Cordoba C9

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 am
As Chu mentioned (and as I read in archived lessons from the previous year) it helps to pluck closer to the bridge. But the pinky placement is also very important of course. And synchronization too.
Thanks Chu and Andrei for the tips. The notes are accessible through artificial harmonics too, but I'm trying to resist playing them that way due to the notation in the piece.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 am
Thank you, John! I actually find Variation C more useful for RH development as it involves a-m-a-m-a alterations which are more difficult to do than regular p-i-m-a arpeggios. Probably I'll post a video in a couple days.
Agreed. I've been warming up for the arpeggio assignment with variations B and C, but regardless, some of the chord changes are still tough.
Chu Bun wrote:
For the Paganini's piece, I don't really understand or like the speed up in tempo on measure 7th, 15th, etc. I constantly mess up not only on but around these measures.
I'm on the fence on those measures too, Chu. I don't like it in the Minor section, for sure. It's okay in the Major one, though I play them a bit more subdued (maybe from lack of the appropriate technique).
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 am
Finally, the Paganini piece is ready. My problem is that damps produce too much buzzing/clicking sound.

Good work again, Andrei. It's nice to see that you can get through the whole piece without a problem.
Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am
Your cat photobombed at the last moment :lol:
It seems like the cat was just waiting to dash out of there at the last second.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”