D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm

My first submission :D

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:14 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Youtube
Hey Binh, it is mistake-free, clean. The rhythm is stable, difficult measures are performed perfectly. The thumb attack is quite strong, but I'm a bit concerned that moving the hand might hamper simultaneous p-i, p-m or p-a strokes. Is it comfortable for you to play variation C? Is your thumb attack as strong as in variation A?
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 am

I dont quite understand your question, Andrei. What are variation A and C?
I'm thinking because I rotate my wrist to play louder thumb. It makes my right hand unstable and increases the change of making mistake.
Do you have a exercise for my bad technique, how to solve it? I feel like, if I dont rotate my wrist, my right thumb attack is weak and quiet.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 am
I dont quite understand your question, Andrei. What are variation A and C?
Checkout the bottom of the page after the last measure, it shows B and C sections. Try C :)
Cordoba C9

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:16 am
A very rough Ghiribizzo with irregular tempo, many missing notes and damping. Please advise.
Very good work, Chu! You played it well and complete without long hesitations between the different sections. You are also able to get a strong sound from your i m alternations in the triad arpeggios. I think that if you continue to memorize it (if that's a goal) and play it once in a while, it should get smoother.
John
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Hi Binh, I like the sound of your playing this piece. I agree with Andrei's observations that you have a steady rhythm and clean notes. I also think that your LH is good at sequential planting for the chords, which in this piece works well because the RH is playing arpeggios.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:14 am
The thumb attack is quite strong, but I'm a bit concerned that moving the hand might hamper simultaneous p-i, p-m or p-a strokes.
Having watched your video several times, I think the hand movement comes from playing the thumb stroke by using a wrist movement (as in strumming), instead of by using the respective hand muscles. I'm including a video that I found very informative. From around 5:30 to 6:45, Gohar talks about that specifically, but it is worth watching the whole presentation.

Youtube
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Can't add much to other comments, very well played.
Ony thing I noticed was a few buzzes.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 am

Thank you all for the comments. I have problems alternating between free and rest strokes due to big changes in the position of the right hand. It's probably time to review basic right hand techniques.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 am

Binh,

I don't remember the exact terminology, but there are three main points in a right hand stroke something like
-recovery point (where you take your finger back in preparation for a stroke)
-neutral point (where your finger is naturally)
-follow through point (where your finger ends up after a stroke)
Apparently your contact happens near the follow through point, beyond the optimum striking zone which is somewhere just before the neutral point.
There are reasons that most (if not all) good players hold the guitar at or near 45 degree, so they don't have to bend their wrist to place the strings in the fingers' optimum striking zone.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you everyone for your comments.
Everything is connected now. I rotate my thumb, making my whole right hand unstable. Why I have to rotate? Because with my sitting posture, my right thumb doesn't have a good "striking zone" as Chu wrote. I tried classical posture today and found out that my right thumb attack was louder and even effortless. But there is a problem, my left shoulder is tired and the muscle in the picture hurts. I only can practice 10 minutes before it becomes unbearable.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/pgfyVN

Have you guys ever had this problem before?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am
Thank you everyone for your comments.
Everything is connected now. I rotate my thumb, making my whole right hand unstable. Why I have to rotate? Because with my sitting posture, my right thumb doesn't have a good "striking zone" as Chu wrote. I tried classical posture today and found out that my right thumb attack was louder and even effortless. But there is a problem, my left shoulder is tired and the muscle in the picture hurts. I only can practice 10 minutes before it becomes unbearable.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/pgfyVN

Have you guys ever had this problem before?
Interesting, is this muscle involved much? It supposed to move the shoulder upwards/backwards, right? Not sure, but is the the combination of guitar angle and how low/high it is against your body correct (for your anatomy)? For example, Xavier Jara (GFA 2016 winner) holds the guitar body pretty low, but the angle is extremely high so that it is almost vertical. Pepe Romero holds the guitar high, so that he can rest his chin on it.
I don't remember this muscle ever got sore during practice, but some other big muscles become numb (like the ones which rest in a chair :lol: )
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am
But there is a problem, my left shoulder is tired and the muscle in the picture hurts. I only can practice 10 minutes before it becomes unbearable.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm
Interesting, is this muscle involved much? It supposed to move the shoulder upwards/backwards, right?
Binh
If you hold guitar in clasical position and drop shoulders - relaxed - then drop arm straight down, palm forward. Then bend arm at elbow so palm comes to guitar fingerboard. In this position hand will be around 6-7 fret. To reach 1st position you need to move hand towards guitar head and this uses muscles in the area you mention. Also, if you push your elbow forward, again muscles in same area. Check you are not holding tension when you move hand to head of guitar. Also if you need to push elbow forward try to do it by rotating from shoulder rather than pushing shoulder forward.
I had discomfort here when I changed sitting position, I found that moving the guitar head closer to my shoulder - guitar more of an angle across body - worked to relieve arm/shoulder stress.
Try experimenting and see if you can find where you are holding tension.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:53 am

WOW, I found my holy grail- how to sit properly- after reading your helpful tips and watching dozen of videos on youtube. Yay, I feel like a pro already. :merci:

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:53 am
WOW, I found my holy grail- how to sit properly- after reading your helpful tips and watching dozen of videos on youtube. Yay, I feel like a pro already. :merci:
Hey, post some videos now!
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:35 am

Here is one video sir!

Youtube

One more to go!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”