D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:35 am
Here is one video sir!

Youtube

One more to go!
That's awesome! All notes are clear, difficult passages sound good.
I did not notice any dramatic posture change, but the right hand seems to be in a more advantageous position now :)
A couple observations:
- measure 39: played 2 times faster. Other measures did not have that change speed (like in the orig. video from Delcamp), only this one stands out
- most challenging damps are missing
- musicality: part 1 sounds a bit somber. I'd recommend to follow prof. Delcamp's recommendation: " To give the ends of the phrases more character, I speed up the tempo a little and avoid letting the arpeggios ring on in bars 7, 15, 23, 31 and 47."
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 am

Ohhh You're right. I use my index to barr so the arpeggios ring. Avoid them is more difficult but the music is clearer and crisp. Hmmm, nice observation Andrei.

Measure 39: you mean I should play faster?

And damn those damps. :D I should focus to this area more.
Thank you for taking time to comment my video. I appreciate it.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 am

Measure 39: you mean I should play faster?
No, 2 times slower to be consistent (you did not speed up other 'fast' measures), check out the sheet music :)
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 am

Binh,

Nice playing. You skipped some of the nuances, but all the notes were loud and clear. I could be wrong but it sounded like the "speed up" bar (measure 7, 15, ...) in the prof's clip were played using rest stroke. Alternating between free and rest strokes is something you may want to practice on.

Regarding your new position, I don't think you changed the angle of the guitar that much. In stead you adjusted the position of your hand by lifting your right shoulder and arm. Maybe that what caused the pain? (but why the left shoulder not the right shoulder?).

By the way, your position is common among pick or finger-style guitar players. Below is a clip of someone plays finger-style with a thumb pick (btw, she plays equally well without the pick). It's interesting that they show all the "wrong techniques" and still make very interesting music. Maybe it's easier to play an amplified steel string guitar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnP396-1U0s

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Good job, Binh. I second the observations made by Andrei and Chu. I would repeat that your RH playing seems much better and more natural. It might be good to try and play with the guitar neck at a higher angle also to see if you notice more ease at playing. If not, you can always lower it again.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:33 am

First 2 submissions. First take (after 2 false starts) so contain some (er many) glitches, no repeats. Not had as much practice time as I had hoped for, but desperate to get posted before the new set arrive.

Prelude - couldn't get the harmonic to sound on recording although 2nd try did sound for me

Youtube

Petite Etude

Youtube

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 am

Colin,

Good job. Your right hand was very stable. Most of the problems were from the left hand when shifting position. If you have not done so, try to use the base finger (the one that stays on the same string from one position to the next) to find the next chord. For example, in the Prelude place measure 16 - 18, finger #2 is the base. It glides up and down the 3rd string , but should never lift off from it. During practice, I landed finger #2 first, closed my eyes and tried to visualize the position of the other fingers relative to #2, then tried to grab the chord. Unless my 2 is off, I should get the chord correctly.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 am
in the Prelude place measure 16 - 18, finger #2 is the base.
Thanks for comments Chu.
Yes, I am using the 2nd as guide finger, but occasionally it seems to “lift itself”! I’m trying to isolate where that happens and keep it sliding. The other place that gives me problems is around 2 chords based on C, when moving to Dm the 3rd finger is reluctant to move causing me to hesitate.
I suppose problem is I haven’t committed this to memory, and probably won’t. Unlike the Petite Etude which I rather like and will give more time to.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Here is Le Streghe
This is after 4hr practice, so it's very hesitant and some fluffs (lots) but I've just kept the recorder running on the restarts.
Not easy to sight read the position shifts withut glancing at fingerboard, so either need to work on position shifts or memorise!
Didn't like the piece at first but will probably memorise it - still need to practice the shifts though.

Youtube

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm
Here is Le Streghe
This is after 4hr practice, so it's very hesitant and some fluffs (lots) but I've just kept the recorder running on the restarts.
Not easy to sight read the position shifts withut glancing at fingerboard, so either need to work on position shifts or memorise!
Didn't like the piece at first but will probably memorise it - still need to practice the shifts though.
Sounds pretty good to me after just 4 hours practice. - just the odd mistake and of course the hesitations when you go from looking at the music to looking at the fret board.

I think to site read properly on the guitar, you probably need to be able to find all the positions on the fret board without looking at it. The alternative is to do what I do and cheat by simply memorizing the piece.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Here is my version of the Carulli prelude - still a little slow as I find some of the position changes awkward when I try to speed up.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Here is my first attempt at the etude.

Seems that I missed the change from a C sharp to a C natural in the bass in bar 16 so really need to record it again.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm
Beautiful
You manage the D# A F# A at the beginning very smoothly, mine sounds somewhat dead and foreshortened with the stretch.

Carulli doesnt sound slow to me.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm
Here is Le Streghe

Youtube
Hey Colin, that's not bad for 4hrs of practice. Did you do this in one or many sittings? As of memorizing, I think it is good enough to know how to play fragments (including shifts) from memory, and only use the sheet music to find out how to stitch up the fragments.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Seems that I missed the change from a C sharp to a C natural in the bass in bar 16 so really need to record it again.

Youtube
Wow, that's really beautiful. I like how one note flows into another. Also, there is a lot of attention to detail.

And welcome back to the class, you were missed, Dave!
Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”