D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 am

Ha, caught up, sort of. I just noticed my thumb again. Oops, sloppy me. Oh well, new years day today so maybe I will repost later.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 am

Hello all,
Sorry for my absence. I was sick for a while and then had a hard time getting motivated to get back into it so I’m quite a bit behind. I will be working on it though. It’s great to hear everyone’s progress!

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Happy New Year Angela.

My NY resolution was to get caught up and I think this is the 1st time I will actually achieve one of those futile declarations. But I'm still working on it.

Looking forward to hearing your submissions.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Welcome back Angela. I joined sometime after your last submission and am glad to hear that you are back at it, and glad to hear you are feeling better. You joined October 1 and presumably had been playing prior to finding this great site, so this advice may or may not apply:
1) Practicing for even 10 to 15 minutes per day, every day, is better than practicing sporadically for long periods of time. I have a bit of difficulty with this observation because it takes me at least 20 minutes just to do warm up exercises, but in fact if that is all you do then you will be steadily improving, especially if you remain focused.
2) It takes at least 2 or 3 months for a habit to become ingrained. In other words, it can take a concerted effort and discipline to sit down and do the 15 minutes on the guitar...but only for the first few months. After that it simply becomes what you do...a normal part of your daily routine.
3) If you only get 10 to 15 minutes of practice you might become discouraged because the warm up exercises are too easy and/or because you are not initially warmed up you don't play the pieces as well as you know you are able. It can even feel like you are getting worse. In this case don't be hard on yourself. Do the pieces slowly and concentrate on one or two elements, such as placing your fingers immediately behind the frets or alternating the tempo to make the music more, well, musical rather than just playing notes. End the session with something you know well and enjoy playing, but try to play it better than you have ever played it before. This is your reward for doing the work. Know that you will progress rapidly and will soon be playing better than you thought possible.
I look forward to hearing your next submissions. :D

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 am

Jules,
A simple question: How did you not know about this wonderful website? Or a corollary; How have you progressed so without it?

I've only just imagined myself as a classical guitar player since early on last year. You not only play well and learn fast but you have an inherent philosophy for it and explain it with a teachers voice. And you think musically. I suspect you have other more extensive musical training in your past and are a perfect addition to this group. Unfortunately we have lost quite a few students since the start in September. I suspect it is because this kind of study is hard and can be wrought with frustration as you've described.

Regardless of how, when or why you've managed to join us I think we are all gaining from your participation. I am certainly implementing many of your suggestions into my practice. I can report that I've iterated through a range postures and have come to terms with where I play. It still ain't pretty but seems more "resonant" for me. Now if I could just get to where I play at least 1-hour per day instead of the default 15-minutes.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 am

Hello James:
Essentially I am self-taught, but in addition to having taken no lessons at least three other things held me back. 1) I never practiced much mostly because my wife hated it when I practiced as there was always something else that I was apparently supposed to do that involved her. 2) Most of my playing was on a cheap plywood guitar with high action and buzzing strings which was not only difficult to play but I often injured my fingers and had to stop for long periods of time, and 3) I eventually just stopped trying. However, some years ago while vacationing in Mexico I took a side trip to Paracho where I purchased the best guitar I could find. Unfortunately it mostly just collected dust because soon after I was divorcing my wife and a few years later I remarried and during those years I never picked up my guitar. We recently had our home ransacked and one of the items taken was my good guitar, so as part of the insurance settlement I am having a replacement made. This was the impetus I needed (along with my current wife who has no issues with me practicing), for I figured if I am going to get a new instrument I should at least know how to play it. So I bought an inexpensive guitar that at least has a solid wood top and very little buzzing and started to teach myself once again. But this was not going well, and I was frustrated at the fact that there is not a single guitar piece that I can sit down and play well enough to appease even the most forgiving of audiences as I am determined to do eventually. This is because I have managed to teach myself countless bad habits, which in turn explains both why I am taking these lessons starting at level 1 and why every single lesson has frankly challenged (and humbled) me. But I also have a huge advantage in that I essentially have a giant head start over anyone who is brand new to the instrument which explains why I am able to learn relatively quickly (and why I am now tackling level 2 at the same time...much harder by the way).
I offer advice for three reasons. Firstly it is expected and I certainly appreciate it when someone offers me advice. Secondly the best way to learn something is to teach it, and thirdly if I offer advice to anyone I had better make sure to take my own advice.
I am still working on my posture and have diagnosed that my scoliosis renders it impossibly for me to adopt a standard position. I am now contemplating trading my foot stool for a guitar support.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Jules,
That's quite a tale. In it I read threads of my own life experience.

I have been looking at your guitar in the videos and there appears to be something about the head that I don't recognize. Do you have an external device like a capo attached or is there something unique about its shape? The angle of your play doesn't give a good view of it. I collect guitars and really study all of the guitars I see here and try to figure out what kind they are. Of course I don't know the names of them but my eye is keen on the quality that is in the instrument.

I agree with you wholeheartedly- The best way to learn something is to teach others.
That's a great philosophy for life as well.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am

Hello James
That is my Snark which I leave clamped onto my guitar head. It is a tuning device that senses the guitar's vibrations.
I broke down and purchased the Sagework Atlas Magnetic Guitar Support today along with an extra set of magnets. I am cautiously optimistic that this will eliminate my back pain and enable me to find a posture and guitar position that will enable both hands to be correctly positioned. Here's hoping...

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 am

Jules,
I am looking forward to seeing you use the guitar support. Alas, you will assume the posture of teacher and I will learn from your efforts.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”