D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 89, numbers 13, 14, 15 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 13, 14, 15 on page 89. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

- Page 94, numbers 29, 30, 31. Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
We have already worked on the rest stroke (apoyando) with the fingers of the right hand. Now we are going to work on doing a rest stroke with the fingers of the left hand. That is the best way to learn how to execute descending slurs. In number 30, bar 2, the fingers of the left hand execute the slurs with the help of the rest stroke. The fingers 4, 3, 2 and then 1 pluck the second string then finish their move by coming up against the first string. Place the left hand fingers vertically in relation to the fingerboard, that's the right position to play slurs.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 3 pieces, pages 14, 30, 46 et 47.
- page 14 Francis CUTTING (ca. 1600) PACKINGTON'S POUND
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

Youtube

- page 30 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) SALTAREN
This dance will serve as a basis for improvisation work proposed in lesson N. 7. The sequence of the three following chords: D Major, G Major, A Major requires imagination to avoid monotony. In order to avoid monotony use dynamic changes (fortissimo, forte, piano, pianissimo), different sound colors (sound hole, fingerboard, bridge, with nail, no nail) and different strumming styles: rasgueados, plucked chords, arpegiated to the bass or treble, etc … .

Youtube

- page 46-47 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTE
This piece consists of three sections, the third section being identical to the first, so it has an A-B-B-A structure, also called ternary form.
Vary the tone colour to avoid monotony.

Youtube

I advise you to work on all the exercises and the four pieces for a week. Then please record and upload your recordings of the following:
- page 14 Francis CUTTING (ca. 1600) PACKINGTON'S POUND
- page 30 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) SALTAREN

Good luck!

I thank Eric (wchymeUS) and Geoff (GeoffB) who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN

David Florea
PACKINGTON'S POUND
SALTAREN
:( + ♫ = :)

David Florea
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04