D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 113, numbers 14, 15, 16 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 14, 15, 16 on page 113. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 26, 62, 63, 76, 77 et 98.

- page 26 Anonyme Scarborough Fair
The phrase structure is of 4 bars. (Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.) Here we have an English tune dating from the end of the Middle Ages. The accompaniment in eighth notes (quavers) gives a fluidity to the whole. It's enough to accentuate the notes of the melody slightly for "Scarborough Fair" to evoke a feeling of space and peace. I think this piece has strong therapeutic powers both for us playing it and for those listening.

Youtube

- page 62, 63 Giuliani, Mauro Etude opus 51 n°12
In this arpeggio study, the melody is in the bass. The index and middle finger play the accompaniment on strings 1 and 2, while the thumb plays the melody on strings 3, 4, 5 and 6.
The point of this study is to seek to keep the index and middle finger strokes of equal strength throughout, whether the distance between them and the thumb is small (when the thumb is playing string 3) or large (when the thumb is playing string 6).
From bar 20 onwards, the instruction sf (sforzando, sforzato, sf, sfz ) means that you should give a sudden, strong emphasis to the note immediately above the instruction.
In bar 22, I use a hinged barré (indicated by a dotted line instead of a solid line) to play the D and A on the open strings, and I don't apply the full barré until the third beat of the bar, to play the bass Bb.
Mauro Giuliani is the first teacher to have published a systematic study of arpeggios ( http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... liani.html : Opus. 1 - Studio per la chitarra, Prima parte : 120 arpeggi). I recommend that you practise a few arpeggios each day and change them regularly with the aim of studying all of them in two years. You can listen to the mp3s of the 120 arpeggios recorded by Marco Cairone here: http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/ ... 32&t=25253 .

Youtube

- page 76, 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°24
Ghiribizzo n°24 is in two sections, each of 20 bars. It has a phrase structure of 4 bars. In the second section, Paganini repeats the melody of the first section an octave higher. The piece is in the key of A, and this key allows the optimal use of the 3 bass strings of the guitar: E (dominant), A (tonic), D (subdominant). Observe the exact duration of the bass notes, and damp them by placing your thumb on the string as and where indicated by the damping symbols and finger indications on the first line.

Youtube

- page 98 Delcamp, Jean-François Novelette n°3, à Alexandra
This piece is divided into two sections, like Paganini's Ghiribizzo n°24. In the first section, the melody in the bass is played by the thumb. In bars 10 and 12, to conclude the first section, I use the whole tone scale (F G A B C# D# F). In bar 16, the melody passes to the treble notes, while the thumb repeats the tonic (E) until the end. The harmonics in bar 23 are played by very lightly touching strings 1 and 3 exactly over fret XII.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 113 number 14, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS
Scarborough Fair
Ghiribizzo n°24
Novelette n°3, à Alexandra
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi,Classmates,
This month exam qualifying exercises music sheets breakdown.

- page 113 number 14, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS

a.page 113 number 14, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS
LA mineur

1.Time Signature:2/4
2.Tempo:Not defined
3.Strokes:Not defined
4.Measures:13
5.Phrases:Not defined
6.Damping:Yes,4
7.Repeats:No
8.Special effects:No
9.# symbol:Yes,m 2,4,6
11.Rest:No
12. Articulation:No
13.Improvisation:No
14.Slur:No
15.Ornament:No
16.Tie:No
17.sharp/flat/natural:Yes,sharps
18.Barre:No

b.page 26 Anonyme Scarborough Fair
Place a capo at fret V of your guitar.

1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:104,(Andantino. Andantino may refer to: Andantino (music), an Italian tempo marking meaning a tempo that is slightly slower than Andante (although in some cases it can be taken to mean slightly faster than Andante) (78–83 BPM)wiki.
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:25
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping: Yes,1
7.Repeats: Yes,m 1 to 20
9.Sharp Symbol:Yes,m 1,2,3,6,11,12,21,22,23
10.Lyrics: No
11.Rest:Yes,1/8th note
12. Articulation.Yes,Fermata symbol at m 25
Definition: "Fermata (Pause)
A note, chord, or rest sustained longer than its customary value. Usually appears over all parts at the same metrical location in a piece, to show a halt in tempo. It can be placed above or below the note. The fermata is held for as long as the performer or conductor desires."wiki
14.Slur:Yes,m 16
15.Ornament:No
16.Tie:Yes, m 4,16,24
Definition: "Tie
Indicates that the two (or more) notes joined together are to be played as one note with the time values added together. To be a tie, the notes must be identical – that is, they must be on the same line or the same space. Otherwise, it is a slur"wiki
17.sharp/flat:Yes,Sharps
Definition: "Arpeggiated chord m 25
A chord with notes played in rapid succession, usually ascending, each note being sustained as the others are played. It is also called a "broken chord"."wiki

Definition:The Italian musical term rallentando,rall (lit. “slowing down”) is a gradual decrease in speed similar to a that of a ritardando, but with more of a rolling stop effect; a lazy deceleration of the tempo that seems to have less certainty and drama than the ritardando.

Definition:"A tempo - Resume normal speed.
This marking is used after a change of tempo, often a rallentando or a ritenuto, to indicate that a performer should return to the main tempo.
For example, if a piece begins allegro, but then there is a passage instructing the performers to rallentando, the marking a tempo tells the players that they should return to playing allegro."wiki

c.page 76, 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°24
Key of "A"

1.Time Signature: 6/8
2.Tempo:Andante,at a walking pace (76–108 bpm)
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:40
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping: Yes,7,next "simile" similarly damp the remaining where required.
7.Repeats: No
9.Sharp Symbol:Yes,C#,F#,G#
10.Lyrics: No
11.Rest:Yes,quarter note, m 20,40
12. Articulation.No
14.Slur:Yes,Slurs and ties are similar in appearance. A tie is distinguishable because it always joins two immediately adjacent notes of the same pitch, whereas a slur may join any number of notes of varying pitches. In vocal music a slur normally indicates that notes grouped together by the slur should be sung to a single syllable.wiki
15.Ornament:Yes,m 2,5,8,13,
16.Tie:No
17.sharp/flat/natural:Yes,sharp at m 10,11,30
19.Octave:No
Definition:"Simile - (abbreviated to sim.) "In a similar way." A direction to play something in a similar manner to that previously marked. Often applies to pedalling or articulation. For example, a passage of staccato notes will often have the first few notes marked staccato, followed by 'sim.', meaning that all subsequent notes are also staccato."wiki

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Zafar,

Thank you for the info. All three pieces have very irregular fingering and rhythm. It's gonna be tough weeks ahead.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi,Chu,
ha ha,not tough for you and Andrei.
I hope you are well.
This month exercise pieces,I did some search for more info on Scarborough Fair playing.I came to know the following.
There are few chords e.g "A minor","G maj","C maj","D maj" etc.
The right hand finger usage is as follows.
For all chords,p,i,m,r,m,i.There are "hammer on pull off"exists e.g "m 16,24".
I'll post more info as I continue to do practice.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm
There are few chords e.g "A minor","G maj","C maj","D maj" etc.
You may have noticed that it is written in Am (melodic) but the capo takes it to Dm.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:48 am

Hi all,

Please accept my apologies for not participating in this forum for a couple of months.
Well, I've had a few problems lately as well as a crisis of confidence when I thought I was not good enough to post my recordings on this forum.

Seems I've missed some interesting conversations lately - and the standard of playing is improving. Well done everyone.

I'm currently practicing pieces from lessons 2, 3 and 4 simulatiously and at the same time as well in order to play catchup. I certainly have my work cut out to keep up with you guys though.

I look forward to participating in D04 once again, and thank you for baring with me.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:02 pm

A nice scale with a few position shifts should be easy right?
-
So why am I struggling so much with this A minor scale ..... anyone else having problems?

After nearly 2 days practice, this is my best effort so far - I think my movements are not quite smooth enough and I'm probably lifting my fingers too far from the fret board.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Is anyone else having problems with Scarborough Fair - been practicing this one all weekend, but seem unable to get a totally clean error free version.

This is my best effort so far....

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm
Is anyone else having problems with Scarborough Fair - been practicing this one all weekend, but seem unable to get a totally clean error free version.

Youtube
Sounds pretty good to me. Practicing for only one weekend is impressive. Congrats!!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Sounds pretty good to me. Practicing for only one weekend is impressive. Congrats!!
Thanks Andrei,

I think this is one of those pieces where the dynamics are very important, so you have to know the peice well enough that you don't have to think about what your fingers are doing and concentrate purely on how the piece should sound.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”