FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: FAQs for lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Thank you Geoff, I hope a solution will be found soon for these problems.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi moderators,
I wonder in which level we start playing pieces in lower frets. I look forward to learn to play in lower frets. Up until the middle of level 3 I've hardly seen any piece where we need any other fret than 1 to 5. Is it because only intermediate, advanced students play on all frets? Thanks a lot,

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:01 am

Bea, at D03 there are some pieces that go to lower frets (except the scales that already go to fret 17). For example at page 56 and 57 the 2 pieces of Paganini.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:44 am

The frets located near the body of the guitar (away from the headstock) are generally referred as the higher frets, because their number is higher, and they make the string to produce a higher pitch when fretted.

In D03 there are few occasions when frets higher than 5 are used on the 1st string. In D04 these become more common and also 2nd and 3rd string are played in higher registers. As you progress through the levels, the more the higher frets are used, and more difficult it becomes simply to read the music because of that reason.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks, Haris and Marko!

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:42 am

If you have a quarter note preceded with a number such as 104, is that saying 104 beats a minute? And is it considered Andante which can be either 80 up to 104 bpm.

Regarding the pinwheel, if you have a whole note with it over it with out a line dose that mean there is no duration or just the 4 beats then mute?
If the pinwheel has a line going to the next note with the pinwheel you would dampen it just as you play the next note?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Kirkland Gavin wrote:If you have a quarter note preceded with a number such as 104, is that saying 104 beats a minute? And is it considered Andante which can be either 80 up to 104 bpm.
Yes, that would be 104 beats per minute, and generally would be considered Andante, if it's 4/4 or 2/4 time signature.
Kirkland Gavin wrote:Regarding the pinwheel, if you have a whole note with it over it with out a line dose that mean there is no duration or just the 4 beats then mute?
If the pinwheel has a line going to the next note with the pinwheel you would dampen it just as you play the next note?
The pinwheel always indicates that you need to damp the previous note of the same voice line, which was played on an open string, and would otherwise keep on ringing. Sometimes the line is used to clarify which note has to damped when you encounter the pinwheel. Otherwise you need to backtrack to see which note has to be damped. So the location of the pinwheel indicates the when, not which.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:57 pm

thank you ok I understand the time and BPM thanks, also now the pinwheel makes sense good stuff.

Oh also when a group of note or when 3 or bars has the curved line over th top or tie, running from 1 note to the next. I know that sometimes it mean to let the note ring to the end of the curved line. however in the case of 3 or 4 bars is it saying that the note rings until its damped through the bars in certain spots. haha sorry for asking o many questions. thanks.

Kirk

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:02 am

I started late for 01 through 03 I really don't feel like I ill be able to finish the lessons on time but will give it my best. By May is it, I believe they will be open until august.
Anyway so I can still keep working on them corrct until the new classes start correct then will I have to re- register again for the lessons and start all over. I don't mind I will just be a better guitar player Classical.
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make a video of myself playing and posting it. I'm thinking of useing the logitech cam to do this with not sure what is the best way. Again many thanks to classical guitar Mr. Delcamp and the moderators that have put this together just aweome wish i had found this 5 years ago.

Kirkland

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:32 am

Kirkland Gavin wrote:thank you ok I understand the time and BPM thanks, also now the pinwheel makes sense good stuff.

Oh also when a group of note or when 3 or bars has the curved line over th top or tie, running from 1 note to the next. I know that sometimes it mean to let the note ring to the end of the curved line. however in the case of 3 or 4 bars is it saying that the note rings until its damped through the bars in certain spots. haha sorry for asking o many questions. thanks.

Kirk
I think you're referring to this? Question about phrase marks
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Steven Galvin

Post by Steven Galvin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi Marko,

I'm halfway through lessons in D01 and am not ready for the exam - struggling along but enjoying it!!

Can I repeat in September and hopefully complete D01.

Thanks for all your help on this wonderful site.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi Steven,

You can repeat the levels as many times as you like, and the exam is always optional. Just remember to register again as a student the next September. The student roster is cleared each year before the new session begins.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Steven Galvin

Post by Steven Galvin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for your response. That's good to know. Cheers.

Peera Tienthong

Post by Peera Tienthong » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:38 am

Hello
I have a bit of confusion.If one of the lessons in each level is updated,I will be allowed to do the homeworks,won't I? And the homeworks of the preceding year are regardless,right?

Much appreciated
P

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Peera.

Last year's lessons are now archived, and the whole course will be posted again, one lesson at a time. So you only need to follow the new lessons as they appear, and do the homework requested in those lessons.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”