Lesson : Sor, Fernando - Allegretto n°2 opus 44 - D02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Lesson : Sor, Fernando - Allegretto n°2 opus 44 - D02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:51 am

Hello everyone,
Let's study the Allegretto n°2 opus 44 of Fernando Sor together.

Often a piece of music is a virtual journey. The composer shows us a landscape starting "somewhere", then takes us "elsewhere", wherever he wants. If the author is attentive, he brings us back to the starting point before the end.

Analysis: This is known as a "Lied" or "A B A" form, the principal key is C Major. In measure 23, you will notice an F# which indicates a temporary "trip" to the key of G major.

Harmonically speaking "somewhere" starts in phrase A. Here we are in the very well known territory of C major. Sor then takes us "elsewhere " to G major (a close neighbour of C major). This is phrase B. Sor is very traditional, so shortly afterwards he brings us back to phrase A - the well known old C major - to conclude.

The piece is short because C major is rather old and cannot stay awake for a long time. The poor thing gets tired..... :wink:

Phrase A begins in measure 1 and ends in measure 16 with a perfect cadenza in C major. This phrase is divided into 2 equal parts of 8 measures each. The first half ends in a semi-cadenza in measure 8.

Phrase B starts in measure 17 and finishes at measure 24 with a perfect cadenza in G major (dominant of C major). Measure 24 contains a small succession of 3 notes on the 6th string G, A, B which brings us back to phrase A.

Repeat of the A phrase: measures 25 to 40

In order for my playing to be in phase with the plan of work I will use different sound colorations for the phrases A and B.
phrase A - closer to the rosette or the bridge
phrase B - on the fingerboard
phrase A - closer to the rosette or the bridge

Phrase A in detail :
- Phrase A consists of repeated motifs, like the arpeggio in C major in measures 1 and 2. This repetition lends itself admirably to the use of an echo effect (forte (loudly) the first time, piano (softly) the second time).
1a4.mp3

- In measures 5 and 6, you see an inverted dominant 7th chord followed by a tonic chord. By amplifying the volume of the dominant 7th, tension is created, and by playing the tonic softly just afterwards, there is a feeling of relaxation.
5a6.mp3

- In measures 7 and 8 we have a half cadenza, i.e. a rest on the dominant. It is often said that a full cadenza corresponds to a full-stop and a half cadenza to the comma. To imitate a comma, take a musical breath: either stop or slow down.
7a8.mp3

- Measures 9 to 14 are a repetition of measures 1 to 6

- Measures 15 and 16 are a perfect cadenza: V - I. That's the end of phrase A.
15a16.mp3

Phrase B in detail :
- Measures 17-18 are repeated in 19-20. I will reuse the echo effect, but inverted: from piano to forte this time.
17a20.mp3

- The measures 21-24 are a perfect cadenza in G major V - I
21a24.mp3

Listen to the mp3,of complete work Sor's Allegretto
sor_2_opus44.mp3
Load the sheet music as PDF-file.
245_sor_____________lecon2_op44.pdf
I hope to have given you the desire to play this work by Fernando Sor.

Jean-François
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Linda

Re: Lesson : Sor, Fernando - Allegretto n°2 opus 44 - D02

Post by Linda » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Thank you very much.

linda
linea

Paulb7664

Post by Paulb7664 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for all you work on this tune, it's made it very easy for me to learn.

Paul

johninmass

Post by johninmass » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Thank you, this makes learning easier to understand.

John

ceddia

Post by ceddia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Thank you for the music and explanations. The remarks makes it very helpful to interpret and understand the music as well as the recording.

Thank you for this good site.

Margot

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”