Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
User avatar
Marko Räsänen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Finland

Students' Corner

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Here is the Students' Corner for session 2014-2015. The previous one is now locked and can be found in the archives. This is the direct link to it.
GeoffB wrote:This topic was created in response to a suggestion from Goran Penic (thank you, Goran), and following similar examples on the French and Italian forums.

It is a meeting place for students of the online courses at all levels to discuss things more widely which may not be specific to a particular lesson or level. For instance, information could be shared here on topics such as music theory and recording methods.

Students could also present recordings of pieces they are working on, but which are not among the "required" pieces for their lesson, in order to get feedback and advice from other students. Of course we have the "Our recordings" forums for finished pieces, but this topic could be an alternative for those students who may not feel ready to post there yet.

Over to you!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

User avatar
Linda Shepherd
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 am
Location: France

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Linda Shepherd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 am

Hi,
I am hving difficulty in up-dating my avatar. I have resized a photo to 80 x80 pixels, it is in jpeg format. I then hit upload from computer button, but nothing happens. Can you help please?
Thanks,
Linda

User avatar
Stefan Srećković
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:10 pm

There's also a limitation in terms of file size, that is - avatars must not exceed the 5 kilobyte size. If you happen to have Photoshop installed, or any other image editor, you could try exporting your 80 by 80 px image as GIF, and then choosing 64 colors instead of the usual 256. This creates a much smaller file that you can upload here on JFD.

If you're having issues figuring this out on your own, toss me a private message I'll try to help you out.
An adventurer!

User avatar
Linda Shepherd
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 am
Location: France

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Linda Shepherd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks Stefan, I'll try again!

User avatar
Goran Penic
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 am

Linda Shepherd wrote:Thanks Stefan, I'll try again!
Nice picture :)
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Is this year's D01 PDF unchanged from last year? Or have there been any revisions? I printed out the one in the pink link area about a week ago.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Practice log?

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi all,
I've realized I'll need an effective means to log my daily practice of my lessons. What do students use to track progress, e.g., online site, software, a Word document? Any ideas would be appreciated! If you have a written log, perhaps you could upload a template as an attachment. Thank you, M

User avatar
Jacek A. Rochacki
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland, Europe.

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Why not following timetables by prof. Delcamp:
for beginners:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89501
and there are schedules at the beginning of each course (DO2, DO3, DO4, etc)
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

User avatar
Marko Räsänen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Is this year's D01 PDF unchanged from last year? Or have there been any revisions? I printed out the one in the pink link area about a week ago.
The name of the pdf contains the date it was last updated, in this case the 1st of June this year, so just compare the file name to what you've already got. Professor Delcamp sometimes updates the pdf's during the course to introduce a new piece, but that mainly happens when the course of a particular level is being held for the first time. There can be an occasional correction of an error. For D01 there probably won't be any significant changes that would affect the pieces that are part of the lessons, unless the lessons themselves are changed compared to previous years, which I find doubtful as the professor is struggling with time to get D07 lessons done.

If you've printed out the revision from June 2014, I'm fairly confident that you won't need an updated version, even though it says in the beginning of each lesson to download the latest version. That notification is being put there just in case, and it doesn't mean that there has been update between the previous lesson and the new one.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Jay Gutknecht
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Indiana USA but almost never there

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 pm

In the lessons he gives amounts of times to practice. I do my daily practice at about that schedule but often times when I have time I just feel like picking up the guitar and playing is that good or bad?
Jay Gutknecht

Yamaha CG112MS

User avatar
Stefan Srećković
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm

It's anything but bad. Play as much as you want, though once your fingers start hurting it's probably a good idea to take a break. Pain is bad, especially when it comes to playing CG.
An adventurer!

Jay Gutknecht
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Indiana USA but almost never there

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks for reply. So far fingers don't hurt tips are built up played steel string for awhile before deciding it wasn't the way I wanted to go.
Jay Gutknecht

Yamaha CG112MS

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:26 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Is this year's D01 PDF unchanged from last year? Or have there been any revisions? I printed out the one in the pink link area about a week ago.
The name of the pdf contains the date it was last updated, in this case the 1st of June this year, so just compare the file name to what you've already got. Professor Delcamp sometimes updates the pdf's during the course to introduce a new piece, but that mainly happens when the course of a particular level is being held for the first time. There can be an occasional correction of an error. For D01 there probably won't be any significant changes that would affect the pieces that are part of the lessons, unless the lessons themselves are changed compared to previous years, which I find doubtful as the professor is struggling with time to get D07 lessons done.

If you've printed out the revision from June 2014, I'm fairly confident that you won't need an updated version, even though it says in the beginning of each lesson to download the latest version. That notification is being put there just in case, and it doesn't mean that there has been update between the previous lesson and the new one.
Thanks Marko!

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 am

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:Why not following timetables by prof. Delcamp:
for beginners:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89501
and there are schedules at the beginning of each course (DO2, DO3, DO4, etc)
I think perhaps there was a misunderstanding regarding my request. I am clear about the practice schedule but simply was looking for a means to keep a log of that practice and wondered what worked for others. In the past, I kept a basic Word doc with date/time/exercises and pieces practiced but it got too cumbersome. Thanks, M

Catherine Livingston

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Catherine Livingston » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:06 am

Madeline,
Welcome!
Wow, it sounds like you take a disciplined and organized approach to things. My style is to just practice/play every morning for an hour after
breakfast. First I do finger strengthening exercises/scales and then work on all of the current pieces and exercises as "rough drafts" and improve them over time. They are usually not perfected by the end of the lesson time-frame, so I keep working on the ones I enjoy beyond that. My classical guitar teacher in college used to have me just work on a small part of a piece each day until I perfected it before moving on. This approach still works well when a piece is particularly challenging. Each of us are different in our approach. You will find what works best for you through trial and error.
:) Cat
P.S.- I live in California too :)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest