Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: Students' Corner

Postby Colin Bullock » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Colin, my lesson 1 submissions were all recorded with Q4N with less than one meter away.

I've just had a look, quite an interesting option. Distortion isn't noticeable in centre frame and gives a useful view of hand positions. Nice sound you're producing.

Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Downloading lesson Materials

Postby Nelson Lee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm

hello. I am trying to download lesson materials for the guitar lessons. I have tried clicking on the download link for materials at D01, but I am being sent to an area of the students' lesson videos. Can anyone help me with this? I have read the FAQs to see if I could get help. Regards, Nelson

John Montes

Re: Downloading lesson Materials

Postby John Montes » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:27 am

Nelson Lee wrote:hello. I am trying to download lesson materials for the guitar lessons. I have tried clicking on the download link for materials at D01, but I am being sent to an area of the students' lesson videos. Can anyone help me with this? I have read the FAQs to see if I could get help. Regards, Nelson

Hi Nelson,
Check this post where I replied to a similar question, let me know if you are able to download now.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Roger Dorfield

Postby Roger Dorfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Catherine Livingston wrote:Madeline,
Welcome!
Wow, it sounds like you take a disciplined and organized approach to things. My style is to just practice/play every morning for an hour after
breakfast. First I do finger strengthening exercises/scales and then work on all of the current pieces and exercises as "rough drafts" and improve them over time. They are usually not perfected by the end of the lesson time-frame, so I keep working on the ones I enjoy beyond that. My classical guitar teacher in college used to have me just work on a small part of a piece each day until I perfected it before moving on. This approach still works well when a piece is particularly challenging. Each of us are different in our approach. You will find what works best for you through trial and error.
:) Cat
P.S.- I live in California too :)

Hi Catherine,
What type of finger strengthening exercises and scales to you do ? Do you have a book or some sort of description available ?
thanks
Roger :merci:
2015 Cordoba C10 Parlor
2014 Cordoba C5 CE
2015 Washburn Parlor
Savarez strings: 500cj and 500aj
D'Addario strings: Silk & Steel EJ40 and Extra Light EXP15

Jonathan Lamb

Learning the D0x series pieces

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi classmates!

I am a student on level D02, and I am noticing that our pieces are slowly increasing in length this year!
My reason for posting my question here, is to find out what other students think about the following aspect, of the developing student's musical technique...

In essence, as I work on the pieces and exercises I am trying to achieve a state of dynamic relaxation as a matter of utmost importance. :) (Please note that I am a returner to music). I believe there are many elements to achieving poise whilst playing, and it is the student's responsibility to discover these things.
:discussion:
One such aspect, that I have identified and which I wish to discuss, concerns the general angle-of-elevation (i.e. how high the elbow is, in crude terms) of the arm supporting the hand that stops the frets, i.e. the left arm, typically.

Depending upon the chord formation, or the relative positions on the fretboard of the fingers 1,2,3 and 4, I notice that the hand turns, and, in a way, the elbow can ride up or down, to support the forearm in different positions of rotation. (Roughly speaking) This is especially pronounced when you play with the neck of your instrument 'more vertical than horizontal'.

The question I would like to put into the forum regards this phenomenon, is: "What markings may we pencil into our scores, in order to show at-a-glance, when the following measure may require some kind of macro-movement of the arm in order to adjust the position of the hand rotationally?"
I note the use of special 'snowflakes' for damping, and a myriad of other significant symbols. So please, if you have the same experience with this, please do share your ideas for notation!

Thank you very much.
Greetings! :bye:

twocents

Postby twocents » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:13 pm

I have not played guitar for at least 5 years. Today I picked up one. I am intending to follow the classes here. Do you think it will be OK if I began these online classes at a level which I find challenging? In principle, I know that I have to have a solid foundation to be able to reach a level where I can play challenging pieces but I am not planning to become a virtuoso; I just want to enjoy what I am doing.

For the record, I am 45 years old; please scold accordingly. :)

Georgi Chernishov

Postby Georgi Chernishov » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 am

Hello! My question might have already been answered. If so, could you please send me the link?
The videos that we record and submit are called "Exam qualifying submissions". Does it mean that they will be taken into consideration when we do the final exam? In case they will, is it possible to record badly performed videos again?

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 am

twocents wrote:I have not played guitar for at least 5 years. Today I picked up one. I am intending to follow the classes here. Do you think it will be OK if I began these online classes at a level which I find challenging? In principle, I know that I have to have a solid foundation to be able to reach a level where I can play challenging pieces but I am not planning to become a virtuoso; I just want to enjoy what I am doing.

For the record, I am 45 years old; please scold accordingly. :)

Absolutely. Start from any level you wish. I myself had some past experience with classical guitar, and started from level D03.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 am

Georgi Chernishov wrote:Hello! My question might have already been answered. If so, could you please send me the link?
The videos that we record and submit are called "Exam qualifying submissions". Does it mean that they will be taken into consideration when we do the final exam? In case they will, is it possible to record badly performed videos again?

Exam qualifying submissions for at least 7 lessons at any specific level are a requirement for you to take the exam. The exam grade is determined by your exam submission alone. Qualifying submissions are not considered.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Georgi Chernishov

Postby Georgi Chernishov » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:Exam qualifying submissions for at least 7 lessons at any specific level are a requirement for you to take the exam. The exam grade is determined by your exam submission alone. Qualifying submissions are not considered.

Thank you for the clarification!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”