Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Georgi Chernishov
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am

Hello everyone! Having completed D01 I would like to play some tunes (that are within the abilities I have acquired during the course) in the summer. What would you recommend?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am

Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am
Hello everyone! Having completed D01 I would like to play some tunes (that are within the abilities I have acquired during the course) in the summer. What would you recommend?
Hi Georgi
I would start by looking at the pieces that are in D01 but were not part of the lessons, they will give you good sight reading practice. Also, did you work on all the pieces from each lesson or just those that needed submitting? Well worth revisiting any that you didn't work up to a good flowing performance.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi All,

As I wrote in the "Introductions" section a few weeks ago, I am looking to get back into playing the guitar and I have started looking at the lessons section.

I used to play the guitar before taking a 10 year break, but my technique has never been particularly good and I mostly used the pick rather than fingernails. As a result of that, my left hand technique is very poor and I am looking to re-learn.
What would be your recommendations in regard to the lessons? Start from scratch? I find it a bit hard to motivate myself to play old macdonald on one string, even though I understand that I am working on the left hand technique and what tune I am playing doesn't really matter.

Also, I note that the first lessons teach apoyando - what is the benefit of it compared to tirando and when would I want to use apoyando instead?

Thank you,

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 am

mChavez wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm
What would be your recommendations in regard to the lessons? Start from scratch?
I would recommend starting at D01.
Old Mc Donald is boring, but short and you soon move on. The benefit is developing the coordination between R & L hands, sight reading, and damping techniques - which is not usually taught in other courses.
Apoyando gives you a wider range of tone and dynamics, and can be used to damp adjacent strings. Learning to switch between this and tirando is an important technique.

By the way, I found Old McD surprisingly hard at the time.

Look forward to seeing you next term.

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am
Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am
Hi Georgi
I would start by looking at the pieces that are in D01 but were not part of the lessons, they will give you good sight reading practice. Also, did you work on all the pieces from each lesson or just those that needed submitting? Well worth revisiting any that you didn't work up to a good flowing performance.
Colin, thank you for your good advice. You are right - I have not worked on all the pieces :) I will work on them.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 am
I would recommend starting at D01.
Old Mc Donald is boring, but short and you soon move on. The benefit is developing the coordination between R & L hands, sight reading, and damping techniques - which is not usually taught in other courses.
Apoyando gives you a wider range of tone and dynamics, and can be used to damp adjacent strings. Learning to switch between this and tirando is an important technique.

By the way, I found Old McD surprisingly hard at the time.

Look forward to seeing you next term.
Thank you very much.
Do the lessons get re-posted at the start of each year? i.e. Would I still be able to see all lessons that are currently on the forum or will they be wiped out in September and slowly populated back during the year?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 am

mChavez wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:11 pm
Do the lessons get re-posted at the start of each year? i.e. Would I still be able to see all lessons that are currently on the forum or will they be wiped out in September and slowly populated back during the year?
The current lessons are moved to the archive area in September and will still be available to view, but not to post in.
A new set of lessons will be posted each month in the current lesson area.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you very much.

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Dear Colin
You kindly offered to listen to 20 secs of my experiments with recording silent guitar with an audio mike. Here is what I've achieved.
20sec.mp3
It the verdict is "No", that's OK, and I'll just continue my studies as an observer.
And thank you anyway for the trouble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamaha SLG N100

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Matilda wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm
Dear Colin
You kindly offered to listen to 20 secs of my experiments with recording silent guitar with an audio mike. Here is what I've achieved.
20sec.mp3

It the verdict is "No", that's OK, and I'll just continue my studies as an observer.
And thank you anyway for the trouble.
Not the worst I've heard even from a standard guitar. Some noise, again not bad. Notes are easily heard and quite clearly defined.
I'll ask for second opinion because it's for level 5.

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Dear Colin, will you please inform me of the "final verdict" when you are ready. I am eagerly waiting for your decision. You can send me a PM if you prefer. Thank you.
Yamaha SLG N100

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

Matilda wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm
Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Dear Colin, will you please inform me of the "final verdict" when you are ready. I am eagerly waiting for your decision. You can send me a PM if you prefer. Thank you.
As you are recording without using the internal pickups and amplifier you are fulfilling the requirement for using an acoustic instrument. Our main concern is that it won't give you enough dynamic or tonal range to do justice to your playing and won't allow the examiners to make a proper assessment of your playing in the exam, so we don't recommend the silent guitar for the exam.
If you don't have the option of using a standard classical I suggest that you post for the first few lessons and get feedback on your technique and sound to see how it goes. You could then review with John, who moderates D05, whether you want to look at borrowing or hiring an instrument that will give you a better sound and finding a location where you can record.
Also, video is better if you can because it allows feedback on hand position etc, but I suspect your microphone would be too far away so again a standard classical would be much better.

Nelson Lee

Finishing D01 Lesson Series =>Lesson 8 Closure<=

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone. I am finishing up the lesson series (lessons 8,9,10) in D01. I am using Student's Corner for this since these lessons in the forum have been locked and GeoffB suggested this.

The following videos are my D01-08 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Increase tempo only if rhythm and the beat are together.
3. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. I also counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

Arpeggios Page 57-12

Youtube

Minuet Page 39

Youtube

Fails Dodo, Colas Mon P'tit Frere Page 42

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have included two pieces from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these pieces.

A La Claire Fontaine Page 8

Youtube

Old Mac Donald Page 9

Youtube
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nelson Lee

Finishing D01 Lesson Series => Lesson 9 Closure <=

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi Everyone. I am finishing up the lesson series (lessons 8,9,10) in D01. I am using Student's Corner for this since these lessons in the forum have been locked and GeoffB suggested this.

The following videos are my D01-09 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles parallel and close to fingerboard, and fingers curved.
3. Right hand fingers puck at an angle to guitar strings.
4. Experiment with guitar posture. Left leg positioned closer to center. Guitar at 45 degree. Headset at eye level.
5. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Volt Page 45

Youtube

Valse en sol majeur Page 48

Youtube

Scales Page 55

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have included two pieces from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.

Une Souris Verte Page 12

Youtube

Jai Du Bon Tabac Page 13

Youtube

Nelson Lee

Finishing D01 Lesson Series =>Lesson 10 Closure<=

Post by Nelson Lee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 am

Hi Everyone. I am finishing up the lesson series (lessons 8,9,10) in D01. I am using Student's Corner for this since these lessons in the forum have been locked and GeoffB suggested this. This is the last lesson for D01, so I will be moving forward to D02!! :D

The following videos are my D01-10 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles parallel and close to fingerboard, and fingers curved.
3. Right hand fingers puck at an angle to guitar strings.
4. Experiment with guitar posture. Left leg positioned closer to center. Guitar at 45 degree. Headset at eye level.
5. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Second Barnsle Poitou Page 52

Youtube

Gespar Sanz Villano Page 52

Youtube

Chords. Delcamp Page 56

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have included a piece from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.

Good Morning to All Page 19

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”