D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 100, numbers 46 and 47 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ – CEJILLA

Youtube

You have to be careful and listen to what your body is telling you when you begin to practise the barré. Be sure to keep in mind that if you overdo your practising of the barré, you risk developing tendonitis which often takes a long time to heal and will cause you a good deal of stress if, like me, you love the guitar with a passion. Pain is a warning sign that should be respected. As soon as you feel pain, you should have the wisdom to stop practising immediately until the next day. In the 80's, I wasn't prepared to listen to the pain caused by practising the barré, and only a total break from the guitar lasting a whole year enabled me to start playing again. Now I stop immediately at the first warning sign of pain. Since I started being careful, I've had no more problems.

To acquire the technique for the barré, it is essential above all not to force it. The ideal is to practise a little, but every day.

- For greater effectiveness, the thumb is placed opposite the middle finger, rather than behind the index finger making the barré.
- Place the index finger very close to the fret, almost on top of it.
- Make sure that your shoulder, forearm, wrist and hand are really relaxed. Only the fingers should be exerting a light pressure, otherwise you'll be heading for disaster and at risk of jeopardizing your future progress by giving yourself tendonitis. Relaxing the arm and forearm allows you to take advantage of the weight of the arm and forearm to help the index finger to press more easily against the strings.
- Avoid bending the left wrist, as that will hurt and will impede the action of the fingers. Find the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to make the barré without bending your wrist.

- The creases of the finger joints cause some slight problems. In particular the crease of the joint between the last two bones of the index finger (the middle and distal phalanges).

To illustrate this, here are 2 photos of my right hand index finger ready to make a barré (I am left handed). I am not pressing on the strings, so that the crease of the joint is more visible.
1. In this photograph, the joint crease of the index finger is situated exactly over the third string, so the third string will not be pressed fully against the fingerboard, and the sound will be muffled or non-existent.
joint crease of the index finger on the 3rd string
2. A solution is to position this crease where it will not cause a problem (between the strings)
joint crease of the index finger between the 3rd and 4th strings

Practising the barré demands patience. The first results of this practice (improvement in strength) only become noticeable after several weeks or months of daily practice.

The tension of the strings (normal, hard, or extra hard) also plays a role in barrés. A set of "extra hard" tension strings requires more strength than a "normal" tension set. A "normal" tension set of strings and a low action* will help you.
* The action of a guitar is the distance between the stationary string and the frets, usually measured at the 12th fret. You can have the action adjusted by a luthier.

Next, we will be working on 4 pieces.
- page 20 Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN (1554-1604) BRANLE ANGLAIS

Youtube

- page 21 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) JACARAS

Youtube

This dance will serve as a basis for improvisation work proposed in lesson N. 7. The sequence of the chords requires imagination to avoid monotony. In order to avoid monotony use dynamic changes (fortissimo, forte, piano, pianissimo), different sound colors (sound hole, fingerboard, bridge, with nail, no nail) and different strumming styles: rasgueados, plucked chords, arpegiated to the bass or treble, etc … .

- page 80 ANONYME (ca. 1850) NESTA RUA
The piece is in 2/2 time. Maintain some flexibility in your rhythm (rubato), while balancing the parts where you speed up against those where you slow down, so that you don't alter the overall duration of the phrases.

Youtube

- page 81 ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE

Youtube

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.
- page 20 Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN (1554-1604) BRANLE ANGLAIS
- page 21 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) JACARAS
- page 81 ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

BRANLE ANGLAIS
JACARAS
SAMBA LELE

Rick Beauregard
BRANLE ANGLAIS
JACARAS
SAMBA LELE

Duang Turongratanachai
BRANLE ANGLAIS
SAMBA LELE
:( + ♫ = :)

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a couple additional suggestions for the Barre exercises. These are hard for everyone. People tend to clamp down too hard, harder than they need to. Try starting the exercise by just placing your finger across the strings with almost no pressure at all. Of course the strings will buzz. But then do it with a little more pressure, then a little more, and continue increasing pressure just until you can get rid of the buzzing. That's all the pressure you need. Remember that, and be aware when you are clamping down too hard.

Another thing I learned from Scott Tennant's technique is to be aware of tension followed by release of tension. So for this exercise, you are in tension when you play. When you move to the next higher fret release that tension before you grab the next fret with tension again. And repeat up the fretboard, tension-release-tension-release. Don't hold in all that tension up and down the entire fretboard or you will get hurt. Tension-Release is like pumping iron (nylon). Eventually your muscles will strengthen. You may need to do it slower than Prof Delcamp's demonstration at first to get full release of tension.

Hope this helps! This exercise is making it into my every other day warmups!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat May 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you vor advice Rick!

Nesta Rua is very nice and I intend to record it. But I think I will not learn and record all others.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat May 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Branle Anglais is growing on me, Haris. And I have an interest in learning some samba and bossa nova some day, so Samba Lee is a good exercise to begin to get a feel for these rhythms. Its a challenge. I'm also still working on Prof. Delcamp's Novelette No 1 from lesson 7, which I haven't heard any one else from our group record yet. So in deference to our mentor, I'll give that a go maybe for the D03 team. I think its good for us to force ourselves to learn some more contemporary music. I really like his pieces. This one is not too difficult, except for getting my ear used to the unusual harmonies.

Looking forward to hearing you play Nesta Rua! Good luck on the test.
:guitare:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Rick I think you persuaded me. I started learning Samba Lele and Branle Anglais. As you say, the rhythms are very interesting and a challenge to learn. Also, these pieces are technically different from what we have learned till now.
Good luck for you too!
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Sun May 03, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun May 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:I think you persuaded me. I started to learn Samba Lele and Branle Anglais. As you say, the rhythms are very interesting and a challenge to learn. Also, these pieces are technically different from what we have learned till now.
:daccord:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun May 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a couple additional suggestions for the Barre exercises. These are hard for everyone. People tend to clamp down too hard, harder than they need to. Try starting the exercise by just placing your finger across the strings with almost no pressure at all. Of course the strings will buzz. But then do it with a little more pressure, then a little more, and continue increasing pressure just until you can get rid of the buzzing. That's all the pressure you need. Remember that, and be aware when you are clamping down too hard.

Another thing I learned from Scott Tennant's technique is to be aware of tension followed by release of tension. So for this exercise, you are in tension when you play. When you move to the next higher fret release that tension before you grab the next fret with tension again. And repeat up the fretboard, tension-release-tension-release. Don't hold in all that tension up and down the entire fretboard or you will get hurt. Tension-Release is like pumping iron (nylon). Eventually your muscles will strengthen. You may need to do it slower than Prof Delcamp's demonstration at first to get full release of tension.

Hope this helps! This exercise is making it into my every other day warmups!
Thank you very much Rick for advice.
I like Nesta Rua but I started with Branle Anglais and quite like it. I have no idea on how to play Jacaras. Any hint? :?:
Duang

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon May 04, 2015 12:41 am

No I have the same problem. Not sure about the rhythm.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Nesta Rua has many position changes which makes reading the notes while playing almost impossible. I guess we have to learn to play it by memory without notes..

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Nesta Rua has many position changes which makes reading the notes while playing almost impossible. I guess we have to learn to play it by memory without notes..
I worked on this one again tonight. Yes, lots of position changes. I have two guitars. My Ramirez has fret marks on the side of the finger board and my Dauphin does not. I have to play this one on the Ramirez or I tend to get lost. But its getting better.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 am

My guitar had no fret marks, so I put these and everything is fine now.
https://www.stringsbymail.com/rosette-p ... q8r010vaa6

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello Colleagues:

I have to confess to getting a head start on lesson 9 before it was published by looking at the archived lesson from last year. So here are my first works in progress, including Nesta Rua, but without Samba Lele, which needs more work, much more work... :reflechir: But for now, I need to work some more on Paganinni. :chaud:

Youtube

I made some fingering changes (improvements?) on Branle Anglais. Mainly, I thought these suggestions were a little easier to execute while preserving the slur feel throughout. Here are my explanations:
In the first full measure I changed the slur from 1-2 to 1-3. This is repeated throughout where this motif occurs: measures 3, 5, & 7. also in the 1st measure, and elsewhere, I changed the slur on the first string from 0-2 to 0-1 and changed the G to the 2nd finger.
In measure 2 ( as well as 6, 11 and 15) I don't use the partial barre. It is not necessary IMO.
In measure 3 (as well as 5 & 7) I play the first slur 1-3 as before, and the second part on the second string and adding a 4-2 slur, and play the C on the 3rd string 4th finger.
In the 4th measure I then slide the 4th finger down a fret and play another slur on the 3rd string
Similarly in measure 11 (again, no half barre) I play the second slur on the 2nd string and the C on the 3rd string. In bar 12 the slur is played on the 3rd string. This repeats in measure 15.
Finally, I add a little flourish with a grace note open B before hammering on the C#

Let me know what you think!

Youtube

I like Nesta Rua. It still needs some work to be completely fluent. I added that little arpeggio at the end. I've seen many interpretations of this online, so I used the artistic license. Plus it is an anonymous folk tune, so the composer won't likely call me out.

Youtube
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Sun May 17, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 pm

It's been kind of quiet here lately. I guess everyone is cramming for their test. Anyway, here's my first (and last) cut of Samba Lele. Glad to finally put this one to bed. At least I nailed the harmonic! :D

Youtube
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Sun May 17, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri May 15, 2015 5:16 am

Rick, congratulations for Samba Lele! This is rhythmically a very interesting piece and you play it very nicely!
It seems I missed your previous post. I will come back after I listen to your uploads.

:bravo:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 15, 2015 6:04 am

Hi Rick,

Your recordings have audio only in the left channel, which makes listening with headphones a bit awkward. Could you investigate if there's an easy fix for that in your recording process for the future uploads? I think you need to specify iTrack Solo as a mono input in your recording software at iPad.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”