D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- pages 119 Delcamp, Jean-François Gammes n°29 et 30

Youtube

Youtube

- pages 122 Delcamp, Jean-François Mordants et Trilles, numéros 36 et 37
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=30257

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at three pieces.

- page 27 Gaspar Sanz: Zarabanda
In this Zarabanda by Gaspar Sanz, the time signature changes constantly, as in the Canario and Guajira rhythms.
In the original tablature (reproduced at the top of page 27) changes in time signature are not indicated.
This Zarabanda in D ends with a half-cadence on the dominant (A).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_%2 ... lf_cadence

Youtube

- page 34 Robert de Visée: Minuet in A major, R. 4.09
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiola
In this Minuet by Robert de Visée, the length of the measure doubles at the end (bars 14 and 15). So we go from a 3/4 rhythm to a 3/2 rhythm. I've added dotted lines above the bars to indicate this change.
In my video I chose to play the end of this minuet with a rhythm of notes inégales (unequal notes). The use of notes inégales in playing is typical of the Baroque period. http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory20.htm#egal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_in%C3%A9gales

Youtube

- pages 58, 59, 60, 61 Anton Diabelli Prélude No.6 Opus 103
This prelude is a great exercise for practising repeated notes and an effective preparation for playing the tremolo. I recommend that you practise the six different fingering patterns that are suggested above the first bar. Be ambitious and persevere on the patterns which you find the most difficult, so that eventually you master them all equally well.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 27 Gaspar Sanz: Zarabanda

Good luck!

I thank Tuk and Geoff (GeoffB), who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Gaspar Sanz: Zarabanda

John Montes

Marko Räsänen
:( + ♫ = :)

Marko Räsänen

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm sorry to see that Diabelli's prelude isn't the mandatory recording for this year :twisted:

I'll probably spend most of the lesson with it anyway, although I intend to post Zarabanda as well.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm

I wonder why it was changed? The Zarabanda has quite a few trills so this will be a good exercise for me. It looks like I will focus on the Mordants and Trills exercises this month.
:) Cat Livingston

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue May 12, 2015 3:37 am

Here's an early cut of the Zarabanda.

There one too many fret buzzes in there while sight-reading the piece for the first time today, it will get better :desole:

Youtube
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue May 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Nice one, John!

I find this Zarabanda very difficult to make sound nice and interesting, and you succeeded in it well.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue May 12, 2015 1:59 pm

John,

I enjoyed your rendition of Zarabanda. :casque:
The buzzes didn't bother me. The trills are lovely and you
played it in an appropriate cadence for the time period in which it was written. I have been practicing the trill exercises and also this piece
but have a ways to go before I will feel ready to post a video. Thanks for posting. It looks like you will catch up before the final.
:bye: Cat Livingston

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu May 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Here's my Zarabanda recording. I'm looking forward for your feedback!

I've got to admit that I've spent most of my practice time with general p-mi pattern practice and Diabelli's prelude, hoping that I'll be able to record and post it at the indicated tempo some time.

Youtube
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri May 15, 2015 2:48 am

Marko-
I find this Zarabanda very difficult to make sound nice and interesting
:bravo: You succeeded in playing The Zarabanda with musicality. It was enjoyable to listen to.Your trills sound crisp, you are much further

ahead in this skill!

Did you add a little reverb to the recording? It sounds nice.

I have been working on this piece a little but my life has become incredibly busy this month so I will post it in early June after the final.

I am looking forward to hearing the Diabelli Prelude.

:bye: Cat Livingston

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 15, 2015 4:29 am

:merci: Cat!

I didn't add any reverb, but there's a new thicker rug on the floor. It's also wider, and as a consequence I had to move the sofa further back by 20-30cm, and I think the microphones were also now further away from the guitar, which explains why there is now more 'room' in the recording. I think I accidentally found the sweet spot, but the question is whether I can find it again, because I didn't mark the spot where I place my chair on the rug :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Fernando Javier Cáceres Bofill

Post by Fernando Javier Cáceres Bofill » Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi. My name is Fernando. Im from chile. This link is of my version of zarabanda. i uploaded it in the spanish forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cCcAmjJ_4
Marko, your record is very good. What is the method you use to have these results? I'm looking for a way to do these kind of videos.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed May 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Fernando,

You play Zarabanda very well! Especially the section with strummed chords was technically well executed :bravo: You are clearly one of the most advanced students in D04!

Here's a brief description of my recording setup:

The room is approx. 25m^2 and I have done some acoustic treatment to it. There are 2-dimensional quadratic diffuser panels in the ceiling right above the recording area, some absorber panels in the walls, and a bass trap at one corner of the room.

I use a matched pair of Rode NT5 microphones attached to a Rode stereo bar in ORTF configuration, and they're placed 80cm above the floor and approx. the same distance away from the guitar. The microphones are connected to Mackie 402vlz4 mixer, and the mixer's line-out is connected to Zoom Q3HD video recorder's line-in. That way the audio is recorded directly into Quicktime MOV video, which means that I don't have to synchronize audio track with video.

After warmup I usually record several takes, typically for 20 minutes, sometimes under 10 minutes, and never over 30 minutes, and stop when I feel I have recorded an adequate take. If I can't have a reasonably representative recording done during that time, I stop recording for that day, and practice more before trying again. Just trying to record will reveal any weak spots I make mistakes at, so I then know that I should concentrate on those when I practice.

I then use a free software called MPEG_Streamclip to cut from the recording just the part that I want (typically the last take). After that I use WaveLab LE 7 to process the audio. Usually I just do normalization to bring the volume up, but sometimes I experiment adding some reverb. Often I also silence the beginning of the audio track to kill any extra noise before the actual playing starts. When finished with the audio, I use another free software called Avidemux 2.6 (64-bit version) to replace the original audio tracks with the processed one, and encode the audio as AAC at 224kBit/s, and export the video as mp4, then upload to Youtube.

Hopefully this will help you, and don't hesitate to ask more or comment otherwise!

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Fernando,

Because you are a registered student at the Spanish forum, I took the liberty of adding you to the Students' group here at English forum as well. That way you are allowed to post videos here in the lesson threads as well. Hopefully that's ok with you.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Very nice Marko, very well played and executed. I like the nice clear bell like tones your getting out your guitar it blends very well in the piece.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”