Compendium of Forum Knowledge

Hans W

Compendium of Forum Knowledge

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 pm

NOTE: There have recently been major changes in the forum software (October 2014) which means that much of the Compendium will need to be updated when time permits.

New entry:
Where to find some of the links under the new layout (New posts, etc., Member list, and User Control Panel)

**************************************************************************************************************************

INDEX:

Tips on How to Search the Forum for What you're looking for

Navigating the forum (what the Symbols on the Message Board Mean)

How to subscribe to the user groups to access the free music

How to find a score or recording of what you're looking for.

Posting a message.
How To Create A New Topic
How to use the Quote button
Providing a link to somewhere else on the site or on the Net:
Adding a picture or attachment to your post
Options available when viewing posts
Drafting and saving posts
Other posting options: Code,List, List= , [*], buttons and examples:[/url]

Private Messages

Avatar (The picture you see in posts). How to upload yours

Embedding a YouTube link with image

Language
Changing the language you view the forum's board
Using other language forums. Why and How

How to change your email address

Subscribing & Bookmarking topics (ie receiving email notification of new posts to topics you're interested in.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The aim is to end up with a compendium of acquired forum knowledge,tricks, tidbits, shortcuts, and the like. Something a new member could be directed to to answer a lot of questions right off the bat or maybe give the "seasoned" crowd something they (impossible of course) didn't know.
Examples would be, what's the quote button and how do you use it properly, why do some icons scroll red on the threads list, some black, why is my PM still showing in the outbox, etc, etc.

So throw in your advise on what things mean, how tos, etc There is probably nothing that some wont find useful even if you think its obvious.

Also, throw in your questions you were afraid to ask before, things you've been wondering about. No matter how trivial the question may seem to, you can be assured there are more members out there that were wondering the same thing.

I'd do a couple posts to get things started.

Hans
PS Maybe make the subject matter of your post bold to make reading the thread easier.
Last edited by Hans W on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Classical Guitar rules!

Hans W

Re: Help Please creating a compendium of forum knowledge

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 pm

How to Quote from someone else's message

There are three ways to use Quote:

The best way

1. Click the Postreply button
2. Scroll down to the person's entry you want to quote. (Note that only the last 15 posts are shown, so if you want to quote an earlier post, you'll need to use a different method). Highlight just the part of the quote that you want, and then hit the "quote" button that appears at the upper right of their post. ie
quoting-instructions.jpg
And you end up with this in your post.
GeoffB wrote:Then, while writing your message in the edit window, you can scroll down to the "Topic review" panel below your draft text and then scroll down within that using the slider bar on the right to see previous posts in the topic. When you find the second one you want to quote, just click on the quote button against it, and it too will be inserted into your draft message.
Another way is to not click the reply button but rather click the top right Quote icon of their message.
This takes you directly into PostReply mode with everything from that post copied as a quote.
Delete anything you don't want included in the quote, making sure you don't delete the quote tags.

NB Its a good idea to click the "Preview" button before you click submit to see what your post will look like.

Finally, you can also go to any post , highlight and copy the text you want to quote and then come back to where you're writing your post, click "Quote" on the options list at the top and then paste in the copied text between the
that appears in your message.

Next Tip or RETURN to INDEX PAGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar rules!

Paul Saywood

Post by Paul Saywood » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

Great idea Hans! :bravo:

Providing a link to somewhere else on the site:

1. Go to the page you want to link to.
2. Right-click on the thread title
3. Select copy link location
4. Paste the link in your message.

Simple, Kampret showed a few of us this one! :)

RETURN to INDEX PAGE

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Questions:

-What do the various scrolling text circle icons stand for. Some scroll, some don't, some are red, some are black. What does the star or arrow in the cricle mean? What does the orange box mean.
Most of these I can answer but a couple I can't so maybe if someone can make one comprehensive post that would be great.

- when you're replying to post, what are these options Code, List, List= ,[*], img, URL and how are they used?

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

zeroeffect

Post by zeroeffect » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:02 pm

Hans W wrote:Questions:

-What do the various scrolling text circle icons stand for. Some scroll, some don't, some are red, some are black. What does the star or arrow in the cricle mean? What does the orange box mean.
Most of these I can answer but a couple I can't so maybe if someone can make one comprehensive post that would be great.

- when you're replying to post, what are these options Code, List, List= ,[*], img, URL and how are they used?

Hans

The Red means there are new posts on that thread
The Black means there are no new posts on that thread
The Scrolling appears to mean that it is a popular Thread
The star, I think, means that you have posted in that Thread
The orange box takes you to the first unread post of the thread

RETURN to INDEX PAGE

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:38 pm

The orange box takes you to the first unread post of the thread????
You're right zeroeffect, clicking the orange box ( just to the right of the circle) takes you to the first post on that thread you haven't read.. And by extension, the fact there is an orange box means there are new posts since your last visit to the thread.

The white numbered boxes, if there are any, indicates the number of pages of post. Click on the highest numbered page to go
directly to the last (ie most current) posts.
Hans
Last edited by Hans W on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Classical Guitar rules!

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Question

At the very bottom of the thread page, below POSTREPLY, what do the Subscribe and Bookmark options mean and do?
Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Hans W

PRIVATE MESSAGES

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Sending PM's

PM stands for private or personal message. To send a private message to a member, you can click on his username to bring up his profile, then click on "Send private message".

Or if it's relating to a particular post, click on the Contact icon below the avatar/username to the right of the post:
Contact button.JPG
Then click on the similar but filled shape which pops up.
Contact button PM.JPG
Or if two icons pop up here, click on the first (the second is a link to the member's website if he has one in his profile):
Contact button Site.JPG
The post is automatically quoted in your PM, unless you delete it from your edit window before sending.

Why is my message still showing in the Outbox?
Your PM message stays in the Outbox until the recipient looks at it. Then it goes to the Sent folder.

Receiving PM's

How do know when I've received a PM?
The top right hand side of the screen normally looks like this ...
notification and message counters.JPG
If the number following "Private messages" is greater than zero, it means you have that many unread messages waiting.
Click on the words "Private messages" to go to the PM folders where you can open them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar rules!

zeroeffect

Post by zeroeffect » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Hans W wrote:
The orange box takes you to the first unread post of the thread????
The orange box ( just to the right of the circle) means there's a post on that thread you haven't read.
The white numbered boxes, if there are any, indicates the number of pages of post. Click on the highest numbered page to go
directly to the last (ie most current) posts.
Hans
Something doesn't make sense to me...if the circle is red, than there are new posts...so, you will never see an orange box by a black circle, right? and the orange square would be redundant to the red circle

If you hover your pointer over the orange square, it says "View first unread post." So it is a link to the oldest post that you have not read...right?
Last edited by zeroeffect on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Saywood

Post by Paul Saywood » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Hans W wrote:Question

At the very bottom of the thread page, below POSTREPLY, what do the Subscribe and Bookmark options mean and do?
Hans
Hello Hans, I know that if you press Subscribe you get an email notification when there has been a new post in the topic, I've not used Bookmark myself though.

Paul

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:31 pm

SEARCHING the forum for information.

There are two ways to search the Delcamp forum.

1. Go into Google and in the search line enter your key words followed by the tag site:classicalguitardelcamp.com
ie " tuning string E to D site:classicalguitardelcamp.com"

OR

2. In the top right hand corner of every forum page is a Search line.
Search tool.JPG
Typing directly into that line typically yields too many results so I suggest using the "Advanced search" option accessed by clicking on the cogwheel icon to the right of the search line. This allows you to restrict your search to a particular forum or words that are in the topic line, etc. (Selecting "Search within topic titles only" and "Display results as topics" will give a handy and succinct listing of threads relevant to a particular subject.) Once you have the results from that search, you can then search just those found posts by using the search in the upper left hand corner.
Search these results.JPG
If you click on a thread, you can then search further within that thread using the next search option that appears:
Search this topic.JPG

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:24 pm

My guess is that the scrolling icon means there are 25 or more replies. Also, the arrow seems to mean that the post has been moved to another forum or subforum from the one you are looking at. If you click on the post, it opens in the new location.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm

I've just been experimenting with the Bookmark option, and it puts a bookmark in your User Control Panel under the "Manage Bookmarks" section. Clicking on that will take you straight to the thread. I don't know if there's a more direct route to it.

I agree with zeroeffect's interpretation of the orange box, by the way.

I think this thread is a great idea, Hans. Thanks for starting it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm

GeoffB wrote: I agree with zeroeffect's interpretation of the orange box, by the way.
Thanks zeroeffect and GeoffB. I didn't know that and what a great and convenient tip! I'll edit my post.
Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Hello sleuths,

When I look at my Inbox, the messages are usually marked with:
PM 1.jpg
blue for a message I have read and red for a new one. The blue symbol also marks messages in my Sent messages.

Today I noticed that some of my messages (in both areas) are marked:
PM 2.jpg
with an additional "radioactive sign" superimposed on the basic symbol.

Does anyone have any idea what this means, please?

Best wishes, V :?:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Return to “Forum Help Guides”