Compendium of Forum Knowledge

eales

Re: compendium of forum knowledge

Post by eales » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:50 pm

That's wonderful Geoff and I'm sure lots of people will find that indispensible.

Are you a teacher by any chance? You put all that so clearly. :merci:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 pm

eales wrote:That's wonderful Geoff and I'm sure lots of people will find that indispensible.

Are you a teacher by any chance? You put all that so clearly. :merci:
Thanks, Eales. I've seen a need for something like that for some time now, with everything spelled out in a single place. I hope people do find it helpful. And no, I'm not a teacher, though I have needed to provide on-the-job training to staff and colleagues in my time, and have produced various training aids as necessary. I think I have a natural urge to help other people to understand tricky things, and do it by putting myself in their position.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

eales

Post by eales » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:34 pm

You are a teacher then, believe me! and a very good one. :D

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:54 pm

eales wrote:You are a teacher then, believe me! and a very good one. :D
:oops: Thanks, Eales, I take that as a great compliment! :D

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:08 am

Classical Guitar rules!

gemisto

Post by gemisto » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

A simple observation. What a splendid post this is! :applauso:

zeroeffect

Post by zeroeffect » Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Hans,

How do you embed a video from another site (you know the one) in a post?

Thanks

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Embedding a YouTube link with image showing rather than just the link.

1. Find the video on Youtube and copy just that part of the address which follows the equals sign, and which precedes the & sign if there is one:
YouTube1.jpg
2. Create a post on the forum and click on the YouTube button (towards the right of the buttons along the top of the edit window), which will put a pair of YouTube tags into your draft post with the cursor between them. Then, without moving the cursor, paste in the string of characters you copied earlier, which should appear between the tags like this:
YouTube2.jpg
You can also just paste in the selected string, then highlight it and click the YouTube button, to get the same effect.

Add any other text you need before or after the video, preview the post to make you it looks right, and then click on Submit.

Next Tip or RETURN to INDEX PAGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar rules!

Stefan Uriadka

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:22 pm

GeoffB wrote:I have noticed that there continues to be some confusion about using the other language forums and miniforums, and that some people may be reluctant to try forums whose languages they do not know. ... I welcome any suggestions for improvement if any points are not sufficiently clear.
However, the mp3 files corresponding to those scores are divided among the different language forums, ...
GeoffB, wonderful summary! My only suggestion for improvement to the actual process, not your guide, would be to allow some sort of automatic sharing of MP3s between the various language forums without having to register and post messages in each one. I'm sure that everyone from every language forum would find this very useful and promote sharing between cultures. Having the pdf's available to all is great and a great improvement would be to add the MP3s in some way. As the saying goes, 'we have the technology' :)

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:47 pm

I can't disagree with you Stefan, however although the foreign forums are all under the Delcamp umbrella, they are in every other way autonomous. Consequently, privileges are not transferable. There are some tech and admin reasons for the setup as it stands and I'm sure if the solution were that simple, it would have happened already.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Stefan Uriadka

Re: MP3 consolidation

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Hans W wrote: There are some tech and admin reasons for the setup as it stands and I'm sure if the solution were that simple, it would have happened already.
Yes, I expected I'm not the first one to try to get this done. I'm thinking one way would be to consolidate the MP3s into a format similar to the PDF's for the scores. That way they could just be re-posted in every forum for all to see. This would take some manual effort obviously. The best played piece for each score could also be selected at the same time. Dare I say we start a CG Idol with our own judging panel? :shock: Winners get a free download of the completed compilation :) (and so does everyone else) :roll:

We could even release a compilation CD. (for real) I'd be willing to contribute some studio time for mastering and the like.

tschuk

Post by tschuk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Printing a forum page

If you want to format a page for printing, click the printer icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
Format for Printing.jpg
You might also find the thread easier to read in this format, but you will lose any embedded images and special formatting.

Charles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stefan Uriadka

Re: Single page view

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:03 pm

It would be nice to be able to see an entire thread on one page, but from what I can tell, it's not possible in this forum. Did I miss it?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:06 pm

As far as I know it is not possible.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 pm

The easiest way I know of is to take images, import them into Word or any simpler program and print the page.

Gadwin Screenprint is the best thing I found for doing this and I've been using it for years. Its freeware and you can download it here.
http://www.download.com/Gadwin-PrintScr ... 23018.html

The great thing about this program is that you only capture that part of the screen you want so you can eliminate all the blank space between posts, signatures, repetition of the title, etc.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Return to “Forum Help Guides”