Compendium of Forum Knowledge

Hans W

Re: compendium of forum knowledge

Post by Hans W » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:41 am

ALERT symbol

At the top of each post, to the left of the Quote button, is a button with an explanation mark.

This is the alert button which you use to alert the moderators that the subject post, in your opinion, contains information or content not in keeping with the rules of the forum. The moderators can then take action if required.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Editing or deleting your posts

You can edit your own posts after submission by clicking on the "Edit" button. If someone else has posted after you in the thread, a message is added to your post to say that it was edited, otherwise the edit is transparent.

You can only delete your posts (by clicking on the "X" next to the "Edit" button) if nobody has posted after you. Otherwise you cannot delete but only edit out anything you wish you had not said! :oops:

(This latter point still confuses people from time to time!)

Update: It is no longer possible to delete your own posts, but if you need a post to be removed you can ask a moderator to do it for you.

Geoff
RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I originally posted this in another thread, but it might be worth repeating here.

Previewing your posts

When you've composed a post, you can hit the "preview" button instead of submitting it right away. You'll get a preview above your editing window where you'll be able to see whether quotes, smilies, etc, will come out correctly, then you can change the text if necessary in your editing window and preview again till it looks right before clicking on submit. When editing a quote, for instance, it is easy to accidentally delete part of the surrounding codes, causing it to display wrongly, so it is useful to preview first.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm

GeoffB wrote:When you've composed a post, you can hit the "preview" button instead of submitting it right away.
Along the same lines, you can "save" before submitting. I started doing this because twice, after writing long posts, my submissions went missing and I never found them again! I don't have to worry about that if I save them, first...

Evelyn

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:57 am

Code,List, List= , [*], buttons in examples:[/b][/size]

Code: Select all

[list]
    [*]Red
    [*]Blue
    [*]Yellow
    [/list]
Generates:
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Yellow

[list=1]
    [*]Go to the shops
    [*]Buy a new computer
    [*]Swear at computer when it crashes
    [/list]
Generates:
  1. Go to the shops
  2. Buy a new computer
  3. Swear at computer when it crashes

[list=a]
    [*]The first possible answer
    [*]The second possible answer
    [*]The third possible answer
    [/list]
Generates:
  1. The first possible answer
  2. The second possible answer
  3. The third possible answer

If you want to output  anything that requires a fixed width, e.g. Courier type font you should enclose the text in [code]
tags. All formatting used within tags is retained when you later view it.
[/code]

Next Tip or RETURN to INDEX PAGE

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks for the great post Natan.
If I could gently squeeze those brain cells a little more, do you happened to know how to insert an image in the post verses the attachment option which just puts it at the end of the post.
Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:29 am

How to insert an attachment inside your message? :reflechir:

(This procedure can be used for inserting jpg, audio, video and pdf files - see here for which file types are permissible).

Go to the bottom of the post screen and click on the Attachments tab:
attachments.JPG
You will then see an "Add files" button:
attachments2.JPG
Click on that button and then find and open the file on your computer.

The name of the added file will appear in the list below the edit window. If you wish, type a short description in the "File comment" box.

If you want to type more text after the attachment, rather than have it appear right at the end, then place the cursor where you want the attachment to appear in your post and click "Place inline" against the relevant filename in the list.
attachments3.JPG
Attachment tags will be generated inside the editor window, looking like this:
attachmenttags.JPG
Feel free to type any text above or below, or to move these tags to any place you like.

If you want to add more attachments, click on "Add files" again and repeat the process.

To delete an attachment, click on "Delete file" against the relevant filename in the list.

TIP on Viewing images:
If you are viewing an image in another member's posts and you see a scroll bar at the right hand edge of the image, just click on the image and the whole image will appear without a scroll bar.

Next Tip or RETURN to INDEX PAGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Missing images replaced. Images and text updated for new software.

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:12 am

Hans

Thanks for starting this thread, it's brilliant.

Kampret
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Further to natan's excellent post, and at the risk of stating the obvious, when attaching an image to a post you can position the cursor first anywhere in the editing window (by clicking) before finally clicking on "place inline", and the image will be inserted at that cursor position.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:27 am

QUESTION
I know I've found it difficult finding scores in that vast resource the forum provides. Some are in 1-4 level, some in the next level, etc. and some, like Tarrega's pieces are all in one PDF .

Has anyone figured out a good method of searching for a particular piece or knows something the rest of us don't?

If you can help, please remember to Highlight the subject of your response to make it easier for anyone going through this thread..

Thanks
Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 am

Hans W wrote:QUESTION
I know I've found it difficult finding scores in that vast resource the forum provides. Some are in 1-4 level, some in the next level, etc. and some, like Tarrega's pieces are all in one PDF .
Has anyone figured out a good method of searching for a particular piece or knows something the rest of us don't?
If you can help, please remember to Highlight the subject of your response to make it easier for anyone going through this thread..
Thanks
Hans
All the score levels have a catalogue, and all the catalogues are also shown on ;
http://www.delcamp.net/infos/catalogue/ ... _pdf2.html or thereabouts.
Perhaps, I think.

Russ :)

Natan

Post by Natan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:01 pm

Google search using site:www.delcamp.net was mentioned before.
Here is a link, which is taken from the site's main page, and could be really helpful for lazy people. It brings the same results.
Bookmark it.
Google Search on www.classicalguitardelcamp.com

owl

Post by owl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 am

Natan wrote: Bookmark it.
Google Search on decamp.us
Now that's great... the whole thread is great really! :okok:

Thanks

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

mordent

Post by mordent » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:41 am

Great thread! Now how do I attach an Avatar ?
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Rick714

Post by Rick714 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 am

This is a great thread, but I just read it from start to finish and I'm beginning to hyperventilate and I fear that my head might explode. I'm gonna go play my guitar.

Return to “Forum Help Guides”