Shirt buttons and belt buckles...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.

Shirt buttons and belt buckles...

Postby Den » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Whenever I practice at home or play in front of an audience, I wear a polo shirt, a tee-shirt or a sweater, as long as it's buttonless. But I've realized a lot of guitarist don't seem to bother with that. What about you? Are you concerned about shirt buttons or a belt buckle scratching the back of the guitar?
:guitare:
Den

Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Re: Shirt buttons and belt buckles...

Postby George Crocket » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Yep.

My wardrobe now consists of rugby shirts and sweatshirts because they have no buttons (or only at the neck) and hang over my belt. I never play in a button fronted shirt - because of the buttons and the belt. I keep my watch on, but always have sleeves, so it is covered for the most part.

I have been looking around for a fly-front shirt that I might wear if performing for an audience. I don't want a white dress shirt because that's too formal. So far I've had no luck.

I did wonder about a clerical shirt - but we're not allowed to discuss that here. :wink:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby Den » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

George Crocket wrote:(...)I have been looking around for a fly-front shirt that I might wear if performing for an audience. I don't want a white dress shirt because that's too formal. So far I've had no luck.(...)

Sometimes I would like to wear something more formal than a polo shirt (albeit comfortable), what about something like this?

I'm not sure what to call this type of shirt when I go shopping though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Den

Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Postby George Crocket » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 pm

That's what I would call a fly-fronted shirt. It looks like the type of thing I'm after. How easy are they to come by?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby robin loops » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 am

i wear a long sleeve polo type or shirt or a short sleeve t-shirt and wear a leg I cut off of a pair of long johns on my right arm (to keep sweat off the guitar and for better mobility)... A lot cheaper than the $20 sleeve things you can get at guitar shops.

I think those shirts are pretty available at formal mens clothing stores. There are tux shirts that are really similar to them too (definitely available at stores with men's dress clothes/formal wear)

I don't care much for them because although they protect the guitar, the back of the guitar mashes the buttons into my chest and hurts after a while
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-
robin loops

Postby Guitar-ded » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Den wrote:

Isn't this known as a placket-front shirt?
Maybe someone here can confirm.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.
Guitar-ded

Postby Gil_Wade » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Most people have some sort of cloth/chamois cloth/etc. they use on their left leg...I use a second one between my shirt buttons (when the shirt I wear has them) or belt buckle. An old sock is usually used on the right arm but I like the black sleeves sold by SBM.
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon
Gil_Wade

Postby lagartija » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Den wrote:

Placket is where the buttons are located. In the US, you want to search for a "hidden placket shirt" or "hidden button placket shirt". It is also sometimes known as a fly-front shirt, but that isn't as common in the US.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!
lagartija

Postby Den » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 pm

lagartija wrote:
Guitar-ded wrote:
Den wrote:

Placket is where the buttons are located. In the US, you want to search for a "hidden placket shirt" or "hidden button placket shirt". It is also sometimes known as a fly-front shirt, but that isn't as common in the US.

Thank you lagartija and Guitar-ded. Now I know what to ask for in the stores.
Den

Postby Den » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Gil_Wade wrote:Most people have some sort of cloth/chamois cloth/etc. they use on their left leg...I use a second one between my shirt buttons (when the shirt I wear has them) or belt buckle. An old sock is usually used on the right arm but I like the black sleeves sold by SBM.

"Between" the shirt buttons... Don't you mean on top of the buttons?
Den

Postby Giovanni Il Rosso » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes, I too take steps to keep from scratching my guitar with buttons and buckles. In hot weather, I wear a log sleeve tee shirt or cotton turtle neck. In cooler weather, I don't worry about what kind of shirt I have on. I simply put a pullover sweater over it. However, I'm not so concerned about the belt buckle. I just position the guitar so it isn't near the buckle. It's much easier to do if you don't wear large belt buckles. :D
Giovanni Il Rosso

Postby HNLim » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 am

Next time try wearing a huge tie.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - Spruce/Jacaranda
2012 Esteve Adalid - Spruce/BRW
2012 Hippner Custom -Spruce/BRW
2013 Yamaha SLG-110N
2014 Sen Goh Custom - Spruce/BRW (work-in-progress)
HNLim

Postby montana » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:02 am

i never worried about buttons, until i noticed the back of my guitar was getting scratched.
montana

Postby OldC1guy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 pm

I never really thought about this much, but my Florida uniform of the day is usually a tee shirt and cargo shorts ( and flip flops). My only concern is my bare right arm, so I drape a folded small towel under it to protect the front and side of the guitar. I can't blame the scratches on either buttons or buckles.
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...
OldC1guy

Postby Kent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:52 pm

These guys got it figured out. No buttons.. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Kent

Next

Return to The Café