Pirazzi (Studio Classics) Nycor trebles review

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
es335

Pirazzi (Studio Classics) Nycor trebles review

Post by es335 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Pirastro is an important manufacturer of bowed instrument strings. It's a German familiy-run business with Italian roots looking back on more than 200 years. Though one of the best references in violin strings, their CG portfolio is quite limited, Pirazzi Modern Classics, Studio Classics and Sarabande. The later being a gut & silk set well above 100€.

Studio Classics are available with silver and bronce wound, polished basses and Nycor e1, b2 and a Nycor/Special g3 trebles with always identical gauges for g3 and b2. They are available in three tensions with diameters of 0.68/0.80/0.80 mm (NT) - 0.71/0.83/0.83 mm (HT) - 0.74/0.86/0.86 mm (EHT). Tension data are not available.

Though Carbon g3 proved to be the best compromise in my case for tone & tuning stability, their lowest standard gauge of 0.84 mm always sounded a tad too tight and 0.78 mm Seaguar unfortunatelly didn't work at all. So it was actually the 0.80 mm Nycor/Special g3 which attracted my attention and made me hope to find Carbon advantages with less tight resp. more open sound.

Expecting a monofiliament g3 like Carbon or Nylgut I was surprised to receive a perfect round multifiliament string with a hard, natural and smooth coating, which reminded a bit of the coffee colored d'Addarion Zylex string. Stiffer than usual it exhibted less stretching in the tuning up phase and stabilzed almost completely after two days. The tension was as expected like NT/MT Nylon but with a more focused tone, one dicipline where the 0.78 mm Seaguar failed explicitely.

The tone is round and warm with harmonic contet similar to a good Nylon e1, e.g. DM 100p. Warmer than Knobloch's Carbon g3 and less dominant than usual. Flawless intonation, fast response with inaudible transient oscillation and impressive dynamics after my right got used to its possibilities. Last but not least the match with a well matured Pyramid Sterling Silver d4 is beautiful!

IMHO a candidate for a top raking of the best g3 alternative with only one downside, the price. AFAIK it's the only g3 in the world, which is the most expensive string of the set. 7.50 € equals almost 1.5 Augustin sets or 1 EJ45 set which makes a general recommendation difficult provided a much cheaper Nylon or Carbon g3 does the job well already!?! :?

Later I retrofitted the Nycor e1 and b2, which turned out to be rectified/ground strings but with less texture than usual, perfectly round/gauged and melting behaviour similar to Nylon, though the strings appear stiffer in general. Intonation stabilized slower than the Nycor/Special g3 but comparatively fast compared to regular Nylon. Irrespective of the vagueness of tension rating they are by no means normal tension! They are definitely low tension and feel like Savarez 520 B or EJ29. So it actually took some days to adjust my right hand's technique but now after we got used to each other they appear very balanced, full bodied, with a similar good response as the Nycor/Special g3, impressive dynamics and a pitch stability which is superior to "normal" Nylon strings. They are exceptionally easy to play and it's unbelievable how responsive my guitar reacts under these strings.

Based on this experience I may try their HT trebles perhaps someday which I would expect more like average NT. But for the time being Pirazzi Nycor NT trebles with Pyramid Sterling Silver NT basses are a dream combination on my Kohno guitar! :D

Kintla

Re: Pirazzi (Studio Classics) Nycor trebles review

Post by Kintla » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Since you alluded to the Mari trebles, why switch to a pricier string, you must like them better. I've yet to try the Pyrimid sterling silver basses, but the Mari trebles are very nice just with D'Addario Pro Arte basses imo. Thanks.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 am

Kintla wrote:Since you alluded to the Mari trebles, why switch to a pricier string...
Well noted but my guitar is special in the sense that a wolf around g makes her very sensitive to intonation shifts of b and particularly g. I learned to minmize unpleasant interferences by repeated retuning the d note on the fretted b and g string to the open d string but this can get a bit annoying over the time!

Tone and tension wise the DM trebles are excellent but they exhibit intonation shifts during warm-up and playing which are very distracting on THIS SPECIAL guitar! So I experimented with Carbon g and occasional b strings which do have better intonation stability but always tend to be a tad too high in tension. Top e string remained DM throughout all experiments, the best Nylon e I know! :D

The Prirazzi g matched the DM e quite well but not the Hannabach carbon b, which made me try the top two Pirazzi strings just out of curiosity. The trebles blend very well and are a surprising good match with the Pyramid basses. Their low tension seems to enables even more depth of the basses. Though quite similar in sound quality they are even more responsive and dynamic as DM trebles, though their really low tension might not be everybody's cup of tea.

The most important difference for me is their intonation stability which is amazing for what I suspect is actually a ground Nylon strings. It is close to carbon and will make me to stay with them ... at least until something better shows up. :lol:

Without the specific issues of this guitar, I would be very happy with the DM100p trebles but as already said MY CASE is special and IMO worth the triple price of the the Pirazzi trebles! Just posted this as others might face similar problems. :wink:
Last edited by es335 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

Oh no. Here I go again. Is there no rest for petermc61???

Sigh...

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:35 am

petermc61 wrote:Oh no. Here I go again. Is there no rest for petermc61???

Sigh...
Not yet ... but be reassured that the selection is not infinite! :lol:

Sorry to put you in such trouble but you will have to test at least the Pirazzi g! I'm excited to hear your comment! :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:50 am

es335 wrote:

Sigh...
Not yet ... but be reassured that the selection is not infinite! :lol:

Sorry to put you in such trouble but you will have to test at least the Pirazzi g! I'm excited to hear your comment! :wink:
I searched the net and could not seem to see a site selling in English. Maybe I will have to get you to buy and mail me a treble set of two and I will reimburse you... Possible?

Peter

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am

petermc61 wrote:...I searched the net and could not seem to see a site selling in English. Maybe I will have to get you to buy and mail me a treble set of two and I will reimburse you... Possible?

Peter
Schneidermusik offers them as individual strings in English language but I would of course be pleased to assist as requested, in particular as I keep tempting you! :D

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 am

es335 wrote:
petermc61 wrote:...I searched the net and could not seem to see a site selling in English. Maybe I will have to get you to buy and mail me a treble set of two and I will reimburse you... Possible?

Peter
Schneidermusik offers them as individual strings in English language but I would of course be pleased to assist as requested, in particular as I keep tempting you! :D
Thanks. Time to sleep! I will email you at home tomorrow....

Peter

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Sigh...
Cantgetout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:57 am

I finally figured out how to order and so have a couple of sets coming. It will be interesting to see how they go, particularly the trebles.

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:50 am

petermc61 wrote:I finally figured out how to order and so have a couple of sets coming. It will be interesting to see how they go, particularly the trebles.
Nice to hear. I'm excited to read your comment on both, trebles and basses, as I never tried the basses which are polished for reduced finger noise.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Push up after a long interruption with Pirazzi HT Studio Classics.

The only drawback of the NT trebles was their really low tension why I reordered them in HT!
Took me quite long to test them (not only me! :wink: ) but now they are installed and definitely worth to share.

The HT trebles comprise of: Nycor e1 - 0.71 mm / Nycor b2 - 0.83 mm / Nycor Special G3 - 0.83 mm

Nycor is actually rectified nylon but their appearance and 1.2 m of string length makes me believe these could be rebranded LaBella or Pyramid rectified Nylons for Lute. So nothing special about them except that the texture is comparatively mild and their tension is more like normal with a sound, nice and warm as expected.

Based on this, I suspected the most expensive Nycor Special G3 string (7.50 €) might just turn out as another Carbon third but the flame test showed it is not. As can be seen from the picture, there is a stiff core inside which hardly burns surrounded by a material which burns quite similar to Nylon. So finally it is proven that the special price buys at least a special material string which I never experienced before.

P1040060.JPG
Sound and tension of this G3 string is IMHO the best substitution for the tubby Nylon G strings. This string feels like normal (Nylon) tension, is very flexible but has the clarity of Carbon without its rigidity. The attack is very much like Nylon and this G string really sings! Needless to say that the intonation is flawless and the feel is smooth like clear Nylon.

Even though the match with the rectified top strings is quite good, I'm sure there will be better matches. Imperials or DM for instance! We'll see! :D

The other big surprise were the MT Knobloch basses as I adopted Peter's approach to exchange the trebles first. They opened up significantly with even more bottom end compared to the original Carbon trebles. They are loud, pronounced and maintain their tonal qualities for quite long now already.

Conclusion:
Full recommendation for the Pirazzi Nycor Special G string which is available in NT (0.80 mm), HT (0.83 mm) and EHT (0.86 mm) as substitution for the problematic Nylon G. I haven't heard and felt anything better up to now.

For the Pirazzi Nycor b and e I don't care. Good rectified Nylons which is not everybody's cup of tea anyway!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”