Pyramid sterling silver

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Christopher Freitag

Re: Pyramid sterling silver

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed May 11, 2016 2:07 pm

I just ordered the Pyramid Sterling Silver and Double Silver bass sets; I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue May 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Peter: Based on your suggestions for trebles to go with the pyramid sterling silver basses, I have tried the Mari p100, Augustine Imperials, Dogal diamante and Knobloch carbons on my Alhambra line professional (about 5 hours of playing with each set...). The Knoblochs are outstanding, by far the best combination to my taste so far. My search for trebles is over for now! I might try the Knobloch basses. Is it worth the money to try the expensive ones (sterling silver)?

Regards,

Per

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:16 pm

vigmostad wrote:Peter: Based on your suggestions for trebles to go with the pyramid sterling silver basses, I have tried the Mari p100, Augustine Imperials, Dogal diamante and Knobloch carbons on my Alhambra line professional (about 5 hours of playing with each set...). The Knoblochs are outstanding, by far the best combination to my taste so far. My search for trebles is over for now! I might try the Knobloch basses. Is it worth the money to try the expensive ones (sterling silver)?

Regards,

Per
Per

I think Pyramid makes better basses than Knobloch, and Knobloch better trebles than Pyramid, so I am not surprised at the combination you have ended up with.

I have not tried the Knobloch Sterling Silver so if you wish to try them you will have to take the chance yourself. They are just too expensive for my tastes and the Pyramid just so good I am sticking with the latter. The Pyramid are better than the very expensive Sterling Silver La Bella strings so don't assume a lot more expensive will necessarily mean better.

Regards
Peter

P.S. Now I know that the carbons work best on your guitar and for your taste than the best nylons and hybrids, the last alternative you might try in the future is the Aquila Alabastro trebles (normal tension).

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue May 24, 2016 10:21 pm

vigmostad wrote:Peter: Based on your suggestions for trebles to go with the pyramid sterling silver basses, I have tried the Mari p100, Augustine Imperials, Dogal diamante and Knobloch carbons on my Alhambra line professional (about 5 hours of playing with each set...)
What's tricky here is that strings can change quite a bit if you leave them on longer. Though I'd imagine the carbons will sound a bit more powerful right off the bat since they are carbon. I haven't tried a full knobloch set of carbons, but hated the high E string. In fact, I have yet to find a carbon E string that actually sounds good. I always combine Carbon G and B strings with a nylon E string if ever.
---
On a separate note, I have had a chance myself to try the Pyramid sterling silvers and have had them on for almost 2 weeks or so. My personal observation is that they seriously remind me of savarez corum bass strings - dark/deep sounding, soft under the finger tips, good power. Perhaps the only thing that might set it apart is if they last longer, which I'll report on when they die out. If they can last A LOT longer then the corums, then they'll be worth the price, but if not, then I personally don't think they have a huge tonal advantage, if any. I will also note that they sound better from day 1 and settle in pretty quickly, whereas Corums I think sound terrible in the first 1-2 days.

I also have paired them with Augustine Imperials. The imperials have a pleasant bright sparkle, while being full and have good power and sustain almost comparable to carbon strings. BUT I am having serious intonation issues even in the first position on the G string which I've never experienced before with other strings. If the next set of imperials I try has the same issue, then the imperials are being scratched off the list. In fact, I'm afraid to even try them again.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Souldier

It might be more an outcome of how they work on your particular guitar for I would liken the sound of the Pyramid Sterlings to 'Cantiga with more weight and power' than to Corum (they have more brilliance and are a little tighter in the bottom E than Corum to my ear, when heard across a range of guitars).

I would expect that you'll get about three times the life of a Savarez set.

Regards
Peter

P.S. Sorry I can't offer a suggestion re the Imperial G. Odd indeed!

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 am

I have thought about trying these strings for a long time, but the high price put me off and I mostly I have concentrated on treble strings and just used the basses that come with a set. I would say my favorite basses came in a EJ46 set because they were bright and zingy, but that didn't last very long. There also are not that many reviews on the Pyramid sterling silver basses besides a few people here who rave about them and some say they are just meh. Lately my bass strings were sounding rather dull so I went ahead with the order for Pyramid sterling silver bass set from SBM. I am using them on a flamenco blanca guitar. Taking them out of the package they felt nice and slinky, not as coarse as most bass strings. I started with the low E string and was expecting some magical tone to ring out. Well it didn't really, just a nice solid sounding respectable note. I played it for a while and and then moved on to the A and D strings. The D string did have that bright tone I like but that seems to be the case with most any D string on my guitar. As I continued to play some things became apparent, The bass notes were clearer and more well defined. Everything was easier to play and get a good sound including hammer ons, pull offs, picado, barre chords. After only an hour I can say I really like these strings and if they last as long as some are saying that will really be a plus and will buying again when they do wear out.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:01 am

From my experience they seem to last about three times as long as most conventional sets of bass strings.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:56 am

bacsidoan wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 9:30 pm
Do not touch the Knobloch Active Sterling Silver basses because your fingers will burn. The trebles are the same for both kinds.
What do you Mean? Kidding right?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:56 am
bacsidoan wrote:
Do not touch the Knobloch Active Sterling Silver basses because your fingers will burn. The trebles are the same for both kinds.
No I was not :)
Knoblock.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:29 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:56 am
bacsidoan wrote:
No I was not :)

Knoblock.png
What is it about these strings that causes the Problem? Is it a chemical reaction between the skin and the Metal? I am particularly interested as I tend to pit my eye flashes when the frames are made of metal. I haven't tried my luck with pure silver strings yet.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 pm

I think it was the price that bacsidoan was referring to. Better to stick to the Pyramid Sterling Silver or the Knobloch Double Silver that are far more reasonably priced.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 pm

I might try a set of pyramid. I played an aquantence's Hauser I that had pure silver basses. They had a very distinct sound, but not as deep as I would have liked. I don't know what brand they were. They may have been new as I noticed no wear on the windings.

Are the Pyramid sterling silver or Knobloch double silver merely plated, or are the windings actually silver?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 pm
I might try a set of pyramid. I played an aquantence's Hauser I that had pure silver basses. They had a very distinct sound, but not as deep as I would have liked. I don't know what brand they were. They may have been new as I noticed no wear on the windings.

Are the Pyramid sterling silver or Knobloch double silver merely plated, or are the windings actually silver?
From my experience the Sterling silver strings don't show a great deal of fret wear or corrosion and seem to last a lot longer than other strings.

The strings you mention hearing could have been La Bella Argento. They are very pure and refined but lack power and weight in my view. Of course, you can't ascribe the sound you heard to the strings as it could very well have been the guitar instead or as well.

The Silver and Sterling Silver tags refer to the plating material not the core metal of the wire or the former material.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the info Peter. I'd like to try a set. What tension pyramid should I Use? I am currently using medium tension.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 am
Thanks for the info Peter. I'd like to try a set. What tension pyramid should I Use? I am currently using medium tension.
That's a bit of a personal thing. I use medium for both Pyramid Sterling Silver and Knobloch Double Silver. I have never been a fan of high tension strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”