Recommend strings for Kenny Hill Performance 630

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nmshu1

Recommend strings for Kenny Hill Performance 630

Post by nmshu1 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

I used Augustine Imperial red, D'Addario EJ46. But I think I have not found suitable strings. Anyone can advise?
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

petermc61

Re: Recommend strings for Kenny Hill Performance 630

Post by petermc61 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:19 pm

It would be quite helpful if you told us what you did and did not like about the Imperial Red and EJ46 and which direction you wanted to take the sound from where you are. In the absence of this I think making any recommendations would be entirely pointless.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:50 pm

I have a Performance 630 cedar and, so far, have found Savarez 540R strings to suit my taste best. To me, that is a rather dark sounding guitar with a bit of a blunted attack, and I like the brightness and clarity that the Savarez strings offer. The Oasis Carbons come close, but the Savarez do a little better, to my ears. I've tried a few true nylon sets, and they just seem to darken and blunt the guitar's sound more, which is not to my own particular liking. Right now I'm trying Aquila Alabastros, but the jury is still out as they are still settling in, but they seem promising. I absolutely love those on my Hill Master Series Rodriguez. One thing for sure, the Aquilas on the Performance 630 turn what is a very loud guitar into an absolute cannon.
-Bob

P.S. If you care to comment, I wouldn't mind knowing how your Performance 630 compares to your G.V. Rubio.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:27 pm

hesson11 wrote:I have a Performance 630 cedar and, so far, have found Savarez 540R strings to suit my taste best. To me, that is a rather dark sounding guitar with a bit of a blunted attack, and I like the brightness and clarity that the Savarez strings offer. The Oasis Carbons come close, but the Savarez do a little better, to my ears. I've tried a few true nylon sets, and they just seem to darken and blunt the guitar's sound more, which is not to my own particular liking. Right now I'm trying Aquila Alabastros, but the jury is still out as they are still settling in, but they seem promising. I absolutely love those on my Hill Master Series Rodriguez. One thing for sure, the Aquilas on the Performance 630 turn what is a very loud guitar into an absolute cannon.
-Bob

P.S. If you care to comment, I wouldn't mind knowing how your Performance 630 compares to your G.V. Rubio.
Thank you for your information. I'm very interested in your test on Aquila. It's feedback is highly expected...

My Juan Hernandez Torres 640 is very good for Savarez 540R which is recommended by Juan. Also very good for La Bella 2001 medium tension and D'Addario EXP45. It is just so so for Augustine Imperial Red and Savarez 500CJ.

I play G.V. Rubio more often by using D'Addario EJ46. Especially for exercises. It's first string is brighter than Performance 630 by using same strings D'Addario EJ46. 630 sound is more soft.

My double top 630 is totally different from my traditional 635 in sound.

By using same strings such as D'Addario EJ46, 630 is better than 635 to play "Dream in the Forest" because of shorter scale, maple back and sides, and double top.

When you compare guitars, you have to consider its strings, its bracing(fang or lattice), its top structure, its repertoire played. I feel we have to just make best use of individual guitar.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:29 pm

petermc61 wrote:It would be quite helpful if you told us what you did and did not like about the Imperial Red and EJ46 and which direction you wanted to take the sound from where you are. In the absence of this I think making any recommendations would be entirely pointless.
Bump (hint, hint)

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:27 am

The Aquila Alabastros have settled in quite nicely on my Performance 630 Cedar. They add some brightness, which the Savarez strings also did, but in a slightly different way. They have an uncanny ability to combine a rich quality with the brightness. I know that sounds contradictory, but I've experienced the same thing with the Alabastros on my Hill Master Series Rodriguez. And the projection the Alabastros bring to every guitar I've tried them on is really quite remarkable—not that the Performance needs any help in that area. So the Alabastros are certainly candidates to become my string of choice!
-Bob

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:23 am

hesson11 wrote:The Aquila Alabastros have settled in quite nicely on my Performance 630 Cedar. They add some brightness, which the Savarez strings also did, but in a slightly different way. They have an uncanny ability to combine a rich quality with the brightness. I know that sounds contradictory, but I've experienced the same thing with the Alabastros on my Hill Master Series Rodriguez. And the projection the Alabastros bring to every guitar I've tried them on is really quite remarkable—not that the Performance needs any help in that area. So the Alabastros are certainly candidates to become my string of choice!
-Bob
Thank you for sharing your experience. I found Aquila Alabastros are available at Strings by Mail. I will order. May I know which one? Light tension or ...?
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 am

Alabastro are nice strings and I think hesson11's description is very accurate - just be aware they are brighter than EJ45.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. I found Aquila Alabastros are available at Strings by Mail. I will order. May I know which one? Light tension or ...?
Normal tension are the only ones I've tried, so my comments pertain to those. Let us know how you like them.
-Bob

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:53 pm

hesson11 wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:
Normal tension are the only ones I've tried, so my comments pertain to those. Let us know how you like them.
-Bob[/
Last edited by nmshu1 on Sat May 21, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 am

nmshu1 wrote:
hesson11 wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:
-Bob
I got Aquila alabastro Light Tension. So I used it first. It sounds brighter and can play more quickly... Something like carbon strings......its total tension is at about 92, so it is almost same as Savarez 500 CJ high tension.

I noticed that Aquila Alabastro Light Tension' s three base strings with silver wire wound not plated. My understanding is that should be better than silver plated base strings of Aquila Alabstro's Normal Tension. After three days, it's sound has been greatly improved...
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Will try Savarez 540R further...
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:49 am

when the Aquila strings went old, two months later, it's color became bad...I changed back to D'Addario EJ46.
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 pm

The key is: has to always use fresh strings...
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

Carcassiest

Post by Carcassiest » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:34 pm

What are the original strings KH provided with the Performance 630? That would be my recommendation. With my Munich model the Hannabach Silver 815 HT are used and though I've tried others strings, these sound and perform the best with this guitar. They are in my opinion fantastic.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”