Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 877
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by guitarrista » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:33 am

D.Cass wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 pm
. On a side note, I generally use Saveraz Corum Alliance on that guitar. I never had any issues with them.
That's because they are not nylon - that set has Alliance trebles, which are "fluorocarbon".
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 am

I'm two hours away from putting on Savarez Cantiga creation with a (gasp!) carbon g. Never tried carbon. Way outside the box for me. I'm wild that way. I also have a set of Savarez New Cristal Cantiga with a normal G that I'll maybe try later.

Unless someone talks me into doing it the other way around. Here's your chance to pull my strings, so to speak.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 am

Jeffrey

I'd do it the other way around as the carbon G string will likely be an improvement. Try the normal combination and after 20 hours or so substitute just the G string so you can compare.

Peter

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:56 am

O.K. that's reasonable. There's a best order for experimenting. I'll do what you suggest, not because I'm a puppet but because it's scientifically appropriate. Unless someone else has a better argument. Or is really pretty.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 am
Jeffrey

I'd do it the other way around as the carbon G string will likely be an improvement. Try the normal combination and after 20 hours or so substitute just the G string so you can compare.

Peter
20 hours is way to little for "New Cristal" trebles.

I am on my second set. 510CR in spring and 510CJ now. The normal tension took 2 weeks to develop and the high tension about 3 weeks. I play about 1 to 1.5 hours per day. With both sets I was quite disappointed for the first week. Now I really love them. I will go back to red
though.

If you search in this forum there are a few confirmations that New Cristal changes tone 2-3 weeks after being put on. One fellow called it "caramel".


I had a set of 500AR beforehand and those trebles, to my ears took about 2 weeks to develop.

After having experienced this, I would not pass any judgment on a string set before having had them on the guitar for 4 weeks straight.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

If I had a set of strings on a guitar and they needed four weeks to sound like they were meant to sound, I'd throw them in the bin. Seriously, waiting a month for strings to supposedly hit their best sound??

Each to their own, but in my view strings should settle down to their best sound within a few days at most. Almost all strings I have used, and certainly those I recommend, do this.

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Different people can get remarkably different amounts of life from their strings. For me, strings are kaput after 40 hours, or earlier. I've only used a few brands, but this has been true of them all. My guitar wakes up and sounds much better when I put on fresh strings, so it's not just me being persnickety. I may well have that bad hand sweat that eats strings.

Segovia complained that his favorite strings, Augustine blacks, started to sound worse after two hours of playing.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm
Different people can get remarkably different amounts of life from their strings. For me, strings are kaput after 40 hours, or earlier. I've only used a few brands, but this has been true of them all. My guitar wakes up and sounds much better when I put on fresh strings, so it's not just me being persnickety. I may well have that bad hand sweat that eats strings.

Segovia complained that his favorite strings, Augustine blacks, started to sound worse after two hours of playing.
Which set did you put on now? 510cr or 510mr?
So test them by playing them for 40h. How many days is that in your currency? I am curious what you report.

I changed the 510cr after ca 80 hours of playing. At this point they could have taken a bit more, but I was curious on the hard tension version before the CRs were dead. I think I try another CR or MR set next to confirm I am happier with red trebles.

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:45 am

"Which set did you put on now? 510cr or 510mr?"

the Cristals without the carbon G. Red set.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 am

So I've had these on for a week. the thing is, I've been suffering from fluid build up behind my ear drums for almost two months; it's been highly frustrating. This effects how strings sound; moreover, it's constantly changing (muffled, thin, tinny, etc.) I've honestly forgotten what my guitar sounds like. When I put on these strings, I'd been almost back to normal for two days; I thought that I was through it. But it grew worse again. I've had longer good periods for the last two days, so I have some sense of the Savarez now. I like the bell like tones of the trebles, although they aren't as warm as the Augustine strings (I think). The basses are very deep and rich. I think that these strings have a lot of articulation, if I'm using that term correctly. I hated the trebles at first but I just couldn't tell if they were 'thin' or if it was my ears. They may have warmed up or my condition is just improving; who knows. This fluid build up always takes a long time to resolve. I've had it before, brought on by allergy season.

anyway I'm going to put on the carbon g tonight. I'll see. If the fluid is drying up and my hearing is back, anything will sound fantastic.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by joachim33 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 am
So I've had these on for a week. the thing is, I've been suffering from fluid build up behind my ear drums for almost two months; it's been highly frustrating. This effects how strings sound; moreover, it's constantly changing (muffled, thin, tinny, etc.) I've honestly forgotten what my guitar sounds like. When I put on these strings, I'd been almost back to normal for two days; I thought that I was through it. But it grew worse again. I've had longer good periods for the last two days, so I have some sense of the Savarez now. I like the bell like tones of the trebles, although they aren't as warm as the Augustine strings (I think). The basses are very deep and rich. I think that these strings have a lot of articulation, if I'm using that term correctly. I hated the trebles at first but I just couldn't tell if they were 'thin' or if it was my ears. They may have warmed up or my condition is just improving; who knows. This fluid build up always takes a long time to resolve. I've had it before, brought on by allergy season.

anyway I'm going to put on the carbon g tonight. I'll see. If the fluid is drying up and my hearing is back, anything will sound fantastic.
Hi Jeffrey

I am sorry to learn about your ear condition. This will clearly spoil the fun of the music. I hope matters improve soon.

I would give the current set a bit more time. Have they seen 40h of action yet? But then you are the master of your guitar(s).

As I wrote before: get well soon. The rest is not as important.

J.

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Thank you Joachim for your kind words. This condition isn't dangerous, just highly frustrating. Today has gone very well, so the trend is definitely in the right direction! Hopefully in a few days I'll have forgotten about this until next spring.

I'm following Peter's suggestion to try the carbon g string only from the set of Cantiga creation Savarez that I have, just to see how I like the carbon g, which I've never tried. The strings have about 25 hours on them. I've plugged along despite the hearing issues; what can you do? This has thrown a bit of wrench in my ability to evaluate strings though. These basses seem to have good sustain though.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Savarez trebles going sharp when played warm

Post by joachim33 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 pm

D.Cass wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 pm
Not to long ago I put some cristal strings on and noticed particularly the G string going sharp. I finally got fed up and changed the treble strings. However, my other guitar strung with D'addario strings doesn't seem to suffer.
I think I need to give an update. I tried a set of D'Addario EXP46 on my instrument (same trebles as the standard EJ46). I have them on for a week - about 7h of action. They went sharp by 15 cent today (3rd string G). So they seem not to improve the situation (very much).

So it might be the instrument that is the difference. I got a suggestion of the tuning machine being involved. Does this make sense to anyone here?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Leo and 5 guests