Labella Argento Pure Silver

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Labella Argento Pure Silver

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 am

Does anybody here (Peter, hope your out there) have experience with the LaBella Argento pure silver strings? I had to look them up after reading a thread about a string poll.

I haven't heard anybody talk about them ever. Are these silver windings? Or are they plated? They're advertised as being a "low noise string". Are these good for recording? It seems they come in medium tension only.

Also I didn't see any info on the tension of this set at SBM?

nmshu1

Re: Labella Argento Pure Silver

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am

I have used it for many years. It is the lowest tension as I know. And it is the most expensive strings in the classical guitar world. One set is $40/$50 from SBM. And it is the only available one for classical guitar. In violin, pure silver strings have been accepted for long, long time...because it is very expensive, I only use for my Vowinkel guitar up till now.

It's sound is nice, very easy to play. But the D string life is not very long as you expected. Usually one set can be used for 1-2 months. If you can afford it, I would recommend you to use it.

Because it's tension is very low , the guitar top must be extremely sensitive/responsive.

As I know, Pepe Romero family and Eliot Fisk...use it.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
650: Otto Vowinkel, Cedar/BRW; Córdoba C9 A&B, Cedar/MH;
640: Juan Hernandez Torres, Spruce/IRW; Sweet Tone, Spruce/Lam. RW;
635: German V. Rubio, Spruce/MP; German V. Rubio, Spruce/PE;
630: Kenny Hill Performance, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/MP

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

Several years ago, researching strings for a recording project, I bought four sets. I am sure it was a one-off bad batch but each of the D strings was 'wrong' - the winding was bad and the string made a strange noise. The shop took them back and I never tried again. The other strings were very nice but for £40-45 a set they'd have to be.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am
I have used it for many years. It is the lowest tension as I know. And it is the most expensive strings in the classical guitar world. One set is $40/$50 from SBM. And it is the only available one for classical guitar. In violin, pure silver strings have been accepted for long, long time...because it is very expensive, I only use for my Vowinkel guitar up till now.
Sorry to object but Dr. Junger Mysterions are app. 50€ only for the basses! :shock:

Back to the topic, I tried the Argento pure silver with better luck than Stephen. Sonorous sound, good weight, well defined and long lasting, which compensates the high costs at least partly! Provided your guitar complies with their very low tension, that's an interesting alternative and probably worth the surcharge if not Pyramit Sterling Silver basses would come really close to them with more appropriate tension and at a fraction of their price.

BTW both feature solid silver wire wrapping but have different alloys and Pyramid Sterling silver basses are not only Peter's all time favorite! :wink:

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 am

I have used LaBella Argento pure silver (basses) for a long time. For me, the E and A are excellent and last a very long time. The D is nothing special, but still better than average; I actually prefer the Pyramid Sterling Silver counterpart. When the strings are tarnished, you can remove the tarnish with boiling water, baking soda and aluminum foil, and the revived strings will sound better than new (sweeter to my ear) for a while. Another plus point is the low tension. It is true that their medium tension bass strings are equal to the low tension variety of most other brands. Finally, you can just purchase the bass set at SBM.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am

I think the Argento are very nice, but they would want to be at the price. Even though nice, I find they have less power and weight than some other strings - pure, but a little lighter in weight. I prefer the Pyramid Sterling Silver as they are quite a bit cheaper, sound just as nice, but also have more weight and power.

I can imagine if you had a guitar that was a little bass heavy then the purity plus lighter weight might be very appealing.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you everyone. I will check out the Pyramid strings as well.

Pede

Post by Pede » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm

How does the Knobloch Sterling Silver compare to Argento?
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Pede wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm
How does the Knobloch Sterling Silver compare to Argento?
Haven't done that comparison because of the cost of the Knobloch Sterling silver. I can say that I prefer the cheaper Knobloch Double Silver strings to the Argento.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”