Oasis GPX Carbon what are they?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

Oasis GPX Carbon what are they?

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 am

They are clear, the high e is tiny...and they look like ordinary old fishing line to me.

I'm starting to think going to the redneck bait and tackle shop might not be such a bad idea for all my treble needs.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Oasis GPX Carbon what are they?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 am

Yes, ladies and gentlemen...if you buy your treble strings at Cabela's, you might be a redneck.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am

Your title asks "what are they" - my answer is first class guitar strings. I've used Oasis strings on and off since they were first released and they are among the best I have tried.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Back in the day the Oasis GPX Carbons were my go to string. I found them to have the power, response and sustain of carbon while having some of the warmth and color of nylon strings. Be sure to allow them to break in for several days before assessing their sound. My only gripe with them is that after some time they start shredding like cheese string.

Speaking of fishing line, I've personally used seaguar fluoro premier line and they also make fantastic trebles! They actually sound very close to the Oasis GPX carbons, yet they are highly durable and will not shred, and they hold their tone for a very very long time. If I were to go back to carbon, Seaguar would be my top choice for the 2nd and 3rd then paired with a Augustine Regal 1st string.

What I am quite curious about is how the Oasis nylon line sounds compared to La bella 2001's, D'addario EJ45's, Augustines, etc. as I've never had the chance to try them.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 am

I think the GPX strings are excellent. I've never had any problem with shredding. I'm not sure why you're critical of them, Messy. Have you tried putting them on a guitar yet, or are you just unimpressed by their appearance?
-Bob

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 am

They have come out with a new Claro set of carbon strings, with the first string replaced with a nylon string(not so tiny). The feedback I've heard has been pretty good.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am
Your title asks "what are they" - my answer is first class guitar strings. I've used Oasis strings on and off since they were first released and they are among the best I have tried.
I agree, I too think they are great.

And yes, they basically are fishing lines. Fluorocarbon fishing lines to be more precise, like all the other "carbon" strings. And the nylon strings are fishing lines too. I am currently using Seaguar Premier leader lines as treble strings. Great strings :wink:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am
pogmoor wrote:
I agree, I too think they are great.

And yes, they basically are fishing lines. Fluorocarbon fishing lines to be more precise, like all the other "carbon" strings. And the nylon strings are fishing lines too. I am currently using Seaguar Premier leader lines as treble strings. Great strings :wink:
May I ask what gauge you used for E, B, and G? I have heard 40, 60, and 80 for medium-light tension, but I have not experienced them yet. It's a little too expensive for the experiment even with the 25 yd roll. It would be great if I can pool together some players willing to share for the cost to try them out.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

I'll have to try them...but I just put on a fresh set of strings. Most likely if I enjoy carbons like these, I'll just buy three rolls of line and never buy trebles again :)

dmozell

Post by dmozell » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm

pogmoor wrote:
I can't find an online chart of the actual tension of the strings in an oasis carbon normal tension set. Anyone know where I can find one? thanks.

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:56 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm
I'll have to try them...but I just put on a fresh set of strings. Most likely if I enjoy carbons like these, I'll just buy three rolls of line and never buy trebles again :)
Yeah, that's the plan if it works for me :D

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I tried them for about three minutes. The high E string shredded...like really...I mean, we aren't talking about a break, but a tear, it looked like string cheese on the ends. It broke at the roller not nut.

I think I'll stick to boring old Pro Arte and Aquila for now.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm
I tried them for about three minutes. The high E string shredded...like really...I mean, we aren't talking about a break, but a tear, it looked like string cheese on the ends. It broke at the roller not nut.

I think I'll stick to boring old Pro Arte and Aquila for now.
I've had this issue with oasis where it starts shredding very very thin strands, but not enough to snap the actual string. I'm surprised yours broke at the nut. Did you tune them above standard pitch by any chance?

On another note, I find that carbon strings need a week or so before they really start sounding good. I recently put on a set of Savarez Alliance NT carbon strings that I had lying around that I wanted to use up, and they just lacked character and complexity... but after they settled in I was surprised to find they sounded really great on my guitar
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Only the old version of the Oasis GPX carbon strings would shred. The newer version with the + high e string would not shred. Those have been out over a year. They did not shred and they had a bit "rounder" sound than the old high e. It is really not shreding, though, it's more like de-laminating. I give Dave Hepple a lot of credit for continuing to improve the Oasis strings.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Waddy Thomson wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 pm
Only the old version of the Oasis GPX carbon strings would shred. The newer version with the + high e string would not shred.
Yes, that's what I found too.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”