Strings recommendation

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Zabava77

Strings recommendation

Post by Zabava77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:00 pm

I suspect it is more of a personal preference question, but I would appreciate some input on strings. I currently use d'Addario EXP 46, and tried Luthier for the first time. d'Addario is still my favorite, but I would like to experience other brands. Any personal favorites/ reasons?
Thank you!
Carpe Diem

Alhambra 7c

Jack Douglas

Re: Strings recommendation

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Pyramid Solid Sterling, Knobloch Active X, and Hauser, all are excellent strings. Many guitarists use a Knobloch carbon g with whatever their string preference is. Remember with carbon an extra loop is needed to keep it from slipping.
Hauser III 2014!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I use the new Ramirez strings and love them. There are no perfect strings, but I do believe in a perfect combination of strings and your guitar. I am afraid it's a matter of trial and error... a lifelong search.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Too many choices. Here are some suggestions:

Ramirez medium tension with carbon G
Aranjuez Suave 800 or Brillante 500
Augustine Imperial Black
Savarez medium Cantiga basses with Imperial trebles or Daniel Mari 100p trebles
Dogal strong Diamanté trebles
Hauser medium tension
Pyramid Sterling Silver basses
Knobloch Double Silver basses
Knobloch medium or medium-high carbon G string

Peter

Zabava77

Post by Zabava77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Thank you all for your recommendations! Looks like a perfect start.
Carpe Diem

Alhambra 7c

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 am

Petermc61 recommended some strings awhile back, those being the Savarez Cantiga basses with Dogal Diamante trebles. Worked great on my cedar top. However, I also like the Ramirez medium tension set with carbon G, just a little better on my guitar. These can be had around the $ 20.00 mark mark, which is kind of expensive, but is way worth it compared to the D'Addario, as far as the sound goes.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm

FYI: I have had strings break on two sets of the Aranjuez Suave 800. The D strings broke, both occurring after approximately 1 month of use. I don't see anything obviously wrong with my saddle/bridge, and I have never had strings break before.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm
FYI: I have had strings break on two sets of the Aranjuez Suave 800. The D strings broke, both occurring after approximately 1 month of use. I don't see anything obviously wrong with my saddle/bridge, and I have never had strings break before.
That's something that had been observed more frequently. There is even a thread on this topic. Suave basses are made with bronze winding wires opposed to the typical copper wire winding. Happened to me on d and A strings occasionally and always when the guitar was safely stored in the case. This actually dampened my enjoyment with these strings. :?

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Same here, I was almost completely converted to using Aranjuez for both my guitars (Classic 300 for my Hill guitar, Concert 400 for my Ganz guitar) and then suddenly had 4D either unravel or break at least 3 times in the span of months. As far as I know, these sets don't have the bronze wire like the Suave and Brillante. I haven't had string breaks before either.

Maybe they've had a bad batch (or two)? It kind of soured me on them, but I still think highly of the trebles.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:29 pm

I've decided to move on and try the Augustine Imperial Black strings (mentioned in an earlier post).

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 am

I used to use Augustine, and then I kept getting sets where the D strings had like four extra inches of floppy end. And by the time you moved the string away from the floppy part for the knot at the bridge, there wasn't enough string length left to secure two windings around the roller. Never used to have that problem with their strings.

Apart from the aforementioned problem, their strings sound really good. I used some Classic Red medium tension on a Ramirez and they really did sustain for days, I've also used the black and blue. My local music store only carries the nylon variety in Augustine.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I was able to mount the Augustine Imperial Black strings on my guitar without any problems, but I have encountered various amounts of "unraveling" with some brands of strings I've tried (not with these - yet....). I wonder if this problem is more common with light or some medium tension strings versus high tension versions?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm
I was able to mount the Augustine Imperial Black strings on my guitar without any problems, but I have encountered various amounts of "unraveling" with some brands of strings I've tried (not with these - yet....). I wonder if this problem is more common with light or some medium tension strings versus high tension versions?
I've never seen any such correlation. Some
Strings are just a little more robust. Occasionally manufacturers just have batch problems which means you get a few sets with a problem. I have seen this with a few different manufacturers.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”