Beginners luck... i guess.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
wojtekowski

Beginners luck... i guess.

Post by wojtekowski » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello,

I'm completely new to the "guitar world", and have absolutely no knowledge regarding anything related to guitars - except that they make sounds hehe.

So this is my third day, i've been trying to follow a learning guide/course however one of my strings decided that it needs to change its lifestyle and snapped.

ANYWAYS, its not the reason of why it snapped that bothers me (maybe it was an old string, as the guitar is 'used' from e - b a y, or just weak material) but what really twists my brain is which strings should I buy?! (HELP!)

I feel like picking up a pair of strings at my local store and throwing my money at the cashpoint will be a waste of time as its very likely I will buy the wrong ones.

I've been reading online however many different pages say different things, the issue is that my guitar originally has these four golden-ish steel (spring?) strings and two nylon strings however I cannot find a pack of these on e - b a y

What do i do ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

George Crocket

Re: Beginners luck... i guess.

Post by George Crocket » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Oh dear, wojtekowski. Welcome to the forum. Help is coming. Meanwhile, please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Which string broke?
Can you post a picture of your guitar?
Most sets of ordinary strings for classical guitar have three strings (larger diameter, lowest pitches) that are nylon core wound with silver plated wire. Which do look like "springs" I suppose.The golden look is probably because they have oxidized slightly.
The three highest pitched strings are usually nylon monofilament, but one of them, the third string, is sometimes carbon.

The best thing would be to a buy "normal tension" set of strings and start with that set.
Strings don't have to be really expensive to to work well enough. After you have played a while, you might experiment with different sorts and brands. For now, just buy a set and try them out. They don't have to be the same as the strings that came with the guitar.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am

It's not necessary to try to find the original strings that were on your guitar, and by the sounds of it they probably weren't that great to begin with. If you want something cheap and reliable to start off with I'd probably go for D'addario EJ45 Pro Arte strings or La Bella 2001 MHT strings. Be sure to watch and follow videos carefully on how to correctly and safely restring a classical guitar.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:18 am

Welcome! While you are at the local store, be sure to buy a string winder. It will make the task easier and save you a trip back to the store after you've watched the DIY videos.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:42 pm

There are many youtube videos on how to change the strings yourself. If you've never tied strings before, and aren't comfortable doing so, a music store can help you. Most charge a nominal fee to change them. If you go that route, ask if you can watch the music store employee put them on. That is how I learned to do it. I paid the fee which was 15 dollars plus the cost of the strings, and I learned how to make the knots (2 kinds) and how to tie them at the bridge, and at the rollers at the headstock. There really isn't too much to it.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:39 pm

In case you're a e Bay shopper because you don't have a local store, go to strings by mail (google it). Great prices, the carry all kinds of strings, and quick delivery. The have the EJ45's recommended above. And winders. Good luck!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

wojtekowski

Post by wojtekowski » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 am

Wow - Seriously.. thank you.

The 1 E string decided to warp into light speed, whilst the rest seem to be intact.

I have no clue where I've read this however from the deep-hollow side of my guitar knowledge (basically what i remember), is that nylon strings cannot be used on the springy steel strings hence why I want to get strings which are the same to avoid them damaging the guitar (which they apparently do so by the unknown source).

One of my friends suggested (literally as I was writing my reply to this thread) the "Gauge: .010"-.047" Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Acoustic guitar strings" ... The strings look very similar to the ones I have/had, soooooooooooo .... strings are on their way (:D).

I've also found out from the original owner that the strings have not been changed since the guitars.. birth. The guitar was made and born in China so i believe the "original" strings must have been from the same country, maybe this explains why the string broke huh oh well :D

Watched some videos on the Youtube wonderland, the string winder seems to be quite a popular and effective tool - might aswell throw more money onto the scene hehe... AGAIN, thank you all.

Thank you for the tip, lagartija, I might just p(l)ay around with different brands maybe until I find something that please my ears.

Each comment answered the next question I was going to ask, thank you a million times!!!

You forum people are like saints.
Thanks,
Wojtekowski

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 am

wojtekowski wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 am
One of my friends suggested (literally as I was writing my reply to this thread) the "Gauge: .010"-.047" Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Acoustic guitar strings" ... The strings look very similar to the ones I have/had, soooooooooooo .... strings are on their way (:D).
It is unlikely that these strings are nylon. :?

Is it an acoustic guitar or a classical guitar? A classical guitar will have 12 frets to the body, then about 7 more on the body. An acoustic guitar is likely to have 14 frets to the body (and more on the body). Also, a pick guard would indicate an acoustic (though no pick guard does not necessarily mean a classical).
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

wojtekowski

Post by wojtekowski » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello George,

It is an acoustic guitar I believe, to be a little more exact it is an "Ibanez VC50NJP-NT Acoustic Guitar Jam Pack"

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm

The Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 10-47 will be a good choice especially if you are as new to guitar as you say you are. They are an extra light string which will make them easier to push down (or to be more technical "to fret"). Just be warned though that heavy strumming may cause the strings to break especially the 1st E string (the exact string you broke). However, the Elixir are fairly robust and they also have a coating on them that makes them last a lot longer between string changes as they are less prone to oxidising.

You sound like you may have already watched some youtube videos already. However, D'Addario have some good videos on how to change strings that are easy to follow. Search "DAddario Core: How to Restring an Acoustic Guitar" on Youtube.

Good luck - I hope the string change works out for you.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 am

If you want to go with a coated string for a steel string, why not try D'Addario EXP16 . They are phosphor bronze. They coat the winding before the strings are wound. They don't feel as slick as the Elixirs, which is something that bothered me about them. They feel kind of plastic.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:09 am

wojtekowski wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm
Hello George,

It is an acoustic guitar I believe, to be a little more exact it is an "Ibanez VC50NJP-NT Acoustic Guitar Jam Pack"
I found a pic of your guitar online. You have a steel string acoustic and this is the wrong forum for you. I don't think steel string acoustic or electric is discussed here. Now if you go buy a classical guitar, that's a different story.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”