Titanium Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jnbrown

Titanium Strings

Post by jnbrown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm

A while ago I put on some D'addario EJ46TT strings. I really noticed how soft and flexible they felt which I liked. Since then I have been rotating with Hannabach 815LT and D'addario EJ25B. Both of those strings seem louder and have more treble with the 815LT being more so. Yesterday I was practicing some tremolo with the 815LT and was really struggling and noticed how they felt really stiff and high tension. So I tried again both the EF25B and EF46TT and found again with the EF46TT the soft flexible feel which made the tremolo easier to play. The sound is still plenty loud and sustain is good. What I also notice is they really sound smooth with more midrange and less edgy than the 815LT. I am not sure i prefer one sound over the other they are just different. I am going forward with the EF46TT as they feel much better on my fingers and help my technique. I am wondering if my experience is typical of these or other titanium strings. I also wonder what makes a string titanium, I thought I read once there is no titanium it just refers to the color.

MessyTendon

Re: Titanium Strings

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 am

Titanium I think is just a marketing term to suggest more brightness. I think they are maybe a touch denser than nylon, but they don't feel stiff like you say.

If they work go for it. There is no titanium in the strings. They are only a few bucks more and I think for a few bucks less Galli makes a Titanium string. Your mileage may vary.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm

It's interesting (to me) that of all the strings I have tried I have never found a titanium string I would bother using. I've basically given up on trying them again.

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm
It's interesting (to me) that of all the strings I have tried I have never found a titanium string I would bother using. I've basically given up on trying them again.
Same for me.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Kenbobpdx wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Same for me.
That's probably why it's been more and more quite about this type of strings. IMHO a bridge technology until all Nylon strings producers catched up with Carbon strings and some succeeded to offer softer sounding Carbon alternatives to Savarez Alliance!?

BTW even though Aranjuez avoids the word Titanium, the description of their new "Marron" trebles used for the Suave set for instance is quite similar to what other manufacturers used for their Titanium trebles! :wink:

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 pm

FWIW, my experience with the D'addario Titanium strings revealed them to be:

1. delightful treble sound, somewhat like steel strings, with less midrange
2. inconsistent with tuning stability, sharpening while warming up and flattening after cooling down between sessions. This is why I stopped using them.

KP

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:10 pm

es335 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm
Kenbobpdx wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Same for me.
That's probably why it's been more and more quite about this type of strings. IMHO a bridge technology until all Nylon strings producers catched up with Carbon strings and some succeeded to offer softer sounding Carbon alternatives to Savarez Alliance!?

BTW even though Aranjuez avoids the word Titanium, the description of their new "Marron" trebles used for the Suave set for instance is quite similar to what other manufacturers used for their Titanium trebles! :wink:
Those Suave strings seem like they are worth a try since they also seem to have a softer feel from what I read.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”