Goodbye ej45, hello Mari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Goodbye ej45, hello Mari

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 pm

I've been trying different strings but this last change I put back on my usual standard D'addario ej45's just to see. They seemed fine, but I liked them less than everything else that I'd been trying. Then I was away from my guitar for a week. When I came back, I really didn't like the sound of the ej45s, so after another day, and only half way through the life span of the 45's, I put on Savarez cantiga basses and Mari trebles. Much much better! And the fact that the D'addarios still had life in them lent credence to my just preferring other strings (that is, I wasn't comparing dead strings to new lively strings.)

Now, I assume that I ordered normal tension Mari strings...but there's nothing to indicate gauge on the package! (I still have a full set of Maris). on the Ostrie site, it looks like the light gauge strings have an added stamp on the cover and slightly less red cover too, but it's hard to tell if this is just photography. The trebles that I have on are plenty light as it is, and makes me wonder if I didn't get light gauge. In any case they're out of medium gauge trebles. Can anyone advise on telling light from medium gauge?

edit: and now I have an answer, from Bill Ostrie: the light gauge has an "L" hand inked next to the 100P on the cover slip that comes with these strings. I didn't notice it with my remaining set, but there it is. So I got the light gauge after all. Sadly, the medium trebles won't be available for 4-6 weeks. Apparently, a factory closed for the summer. Bummer. My guess is the mediums will have better volume.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

petermc61

Re: Goodbye ej45, hello Mari

Post by petermc61 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 am

Jeffrey

Congratulations on finding the Cantiga/100p combination. It's a beauty!

I have used normal tension Mari 100p and light tension 100pL. Frankly I don't tell much difference between them sonically. So much so that I almost use them interchangeably. There's no need to rush into the normal tension set, just enjoy what you have now.

Regards
Peter

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”