Tuning Nylon strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Tuning Nylon strings

Post by joachim33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 am

The tutor I had when I was teenage advised me, that when tuning, the last movement should always be to sharpen the string. So if I get to sharp while tuning, I lower the pitch until the string is flat and start sharpening again.

As reported elsewhere, I have issues of me treble strings (string 1 to 3) sharpening while playing. So far I attributed this to the string becoming warm. I have started to wonder, whether this is due to the way I tune. If there is higher tension between the roller and the nut after tuning, which gets released while playing, that could explain what I am experiencing. Friction of the sting inside the nut could be an explanation for an increased tension between roller and nut.

guitarrista

Re: Tuning Nylon strings

Post by guitarrista » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am

Yes, if the friction at the nut is high enough, it might be that when you tune up to apparent pitch, the part o the string between the nut and the roller is under higher tension than the working part o the string (nut to saddle). As you move the string around while playing, that imbalance will equalize resulting in the apparent pitch going sharp. But the sharpening of pitch while warming up of nylon trebles is present regardless. Try to lubricate the nut and make sure the strings do not stick there in any way, see if the effect diminishes.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 am

guitarrista wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am
Yes, if the friction at the nut is high enough, it might be that when you tune up to apparent pitch, the part o the string between the nut and the roller is under higher tension than the working part o the string (nut to saddle). As you move the string around while playing, that imbalance will equalize resulting in the apparent pitch going sharp. But the sharpening of pitch while warming up of nylon trebles is present regardless. Try to lubricate the nut and make sure the strings do not stick there in any way, see if the effect diminishes.
Thanks for your feedback. What should I use to "lubricate"? The next string change will come at some point :wink:

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am

Look around, like in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11439
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:57 am

Your teacher was right about tuning up to pitch. This makes sure that there is no slack to be let out from the tuners. Nylon strings can get a little bit wonky as far as going out of tune because of warming up. Try carbon, maybe?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”