La Bella Professional Strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MaybeAPlayer

La Bella Professional Strings?

Postby MaybeAPlayer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:40 pm

I just ordered some La Bella 2001 medium tension strings for my Pavan TP30. In reading from the Classical Guitar Store (CGS for short) website, they say
Labella makes the worst and the finest strings available and have been in business since the 19th Century. The Professional 2001 series are among the best sounding and most dependable strings on the market for good intonation, used by such professional artists as Juan Serrano, Dennis Koster and Adam Del Monte.
I ordered the La Bella because of some of the threads I've read here referring to the 2001 as a great string (both medium and medium-hard tension). Do you think the CGS is referring to the 2001 Concert Series as bad strings, or as the Professional strings? I looked at some of the internet string sites and can't find the Professional series. I find the 413P Studio series that say Professional on the package though. Are they what CGS is referring to?

I live in a small town and my only source of strings and advice is this forum and internet string purchase sites, so just looking for some info from those wiser than me (which ain't too hard!)!

Thanks!
Jason Wolverton Spruce/Braz
Navarro Rodriguez Cedar/Camatillo
Loriente Angela Spruce/Maple

Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.
Jimi Hendrix

quin

Re: La Bella Professional Strings?

Postby quin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 pm

They are referring undoubtedly to LaBella Folk strings--black nylon, ball end...for players who have nylon strings guitars and just strum chords. Not for classical guitar players...abysmal sounding.
LaBell's professional strings were their top string prior to the development of the new propritary nylon of the 2001 strings. The Professional series were endorsed, I believe, by Julian Bream in the 60's.

I've used LaBella 2001 for 10 yrs and think they are unbeatable-- bell-like, very sensitive--very balanced. I've at times bought other strings just to see if I would change my mind---Savarez, D'addario etc but the LaBellas sound even better when I compare them to others. Of course ea. player has unique needs but I must say that the laBella 2001 seem to be the best sounding and also easiest playing strings I've ever used. Sheer perfection. The medium hard were the original "perfect" strings laBella designed..all the other tensions actually are variations from the Med. hHJard original template. They also make an argento which is essentially a 2001 set with pure silver windings in the bass. I love the 2001 medium hard too much to even care about the 45 dollar Argento, personally. :D

neoclassical

Postby neoclassical » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:32 am

I've been using the 2001's since 05 and keep coming back to them after I try others. I prefer the hard tension with black trebles (as my vision gets worse, I can see them better when I need to look).

MaybeAPlayer

Postby MaybeAPlayer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:46 am

:merci: for your comments. I received my 2001 medium tension strings in the mail yesterday and just put them my cheaper guitar. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow. Going to let them stretch out a bit tonight. I'll update this in a few days and let you know what I think. I've only played the EJ45s so this will be interesting and fun.

Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.
Jimi Hendrix

Sean

Postby Sean » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:14 am

I've got a small suitcase filled with strings - most of which are 2001s. They are a superb string.

quin

Postby quin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 pm

I have 15 sets lo LaBella 2001 medium-hard tension, but not matter how long I play the ones on my guitar, they retain their tone. I usually change them every few months whether they need it or not. Damn I love these strings!

flintsghost

Postby flintsghost » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:46 am

LaBella makes a lot of strings for classical/flamenco guitars as well as others. Their 2001 series is NOT their professional strings that you are inquiring about. The professional series consist of 4 different sets of strings which are each quite different in various ways. They are the 10PH, 413P, 500P and a special Gut set. I have never used the gut set at all. I have used the others. The others all use exactly the same treble strings for each set and only the bases vary. The 10PH has silver wound high tension bases which are so so. The 413P studio set has a bronze wound base set of medium tension which are exceptional. The 500P recording set has a bronze wound set of bases which are treated to be tarnish free and are slightly less round by design than the 413P's and they are high tension. My favorites are the 413P's and I obtain mine from http://www.stringsbymail.com which seems to have the best price on them. They also sell them in base and treble sets and individually. Their prices are considerably less than any of their competitors. I have used them with great success on my Larrivee L-35, and both my Kenny Hill's: a Hauser '37 and a Reyes 1A flamenco. So far I haven't had any desire to change, though I do check out other strings occasionally. I tried Oasis GTX's on my Larrivee without great results unlike previous tests on a Martin 00-18G, and went back to LaBella's. It's on the high quality guitars that they really shine. They are hard to beat. 2001's may be wonderful strings, although I found the flamenco strings from that series to be seriously lacking. But the professional series that you are referring to are marked as just that 'Professional."

Sean

Postby Sean » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 am

Yes, we did hijack this thread over to the 2001s now, didn't we! My apologies to the original poster.

rounie

Postby rounie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Guys,

You cant have fun alone................. :wink: :)

La Bella 2001 is an Excellent all round string-agreed,and i have also realised this after wasting big bucks on Different guitar string .. :chaud: :(

They are unbeatable for the money,and compare to Savarez Cristal Rouge series which i love a lot ,but which generally sells for double the price

at dealers,comapred to La Bella 2001[Not strings by mail]

I have just Ordered the Argento's,out of curiosity-and lets see how it goes;Will keep you all posted.

Regards/Rounie
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

MaybeAPlayer

Postby MaybeAPlayer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:22 pm

No apology needed Sean! This is great information and discussion on La Bella strings. :bravo:

I've been using the medium tension 2001 strings since they arrived and I must say I sure like them. Very nice sound and tension for me at this point. I think the next set I order will be the Professional 413P to give them a try, then the 2001 normal-hard tension. I also have the D'Addario EJ45s on another guitar and like them, but not as much as the La Bella 2001.

I just ordered a new guitar from Jason Wolverton :D that will arrive in 3-4 months :( Im STOKED!!!

Anyway, he is using Galli carbonio trebles mixed with Savarez chorum basses (both normal tension) right now on his guitars, so that will be interesting as well.

Thanks all!
Steve

Jimi Hendrix

quin

Postby quin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:36 am

Be aware that the D'addario normals EJ-45's are 83 lbs tension while the La Bella 2001 mediums are 77 lbs, the medium-hard 80lbs, and the hard 84 lbs. LaBella doesn't make a "normal-hard" tension. Also Labella Med.Hard sound as loud as the higher tension d'addario normals. :D

MaybeAPlayer

Postby MaybeAPlayer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Sorry, I meant medium-hard, not normal-hard. The medium-hard is on order!

Jimi Hendrix

hegel

Postby hegel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

So are the La Bella medium strings the same thing as the L B medium hard?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

es335

Postby es335 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 am

The trebles are identical but the basses are different which is not so unusual as it might look at the first glance! :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”