The Perennial String Question

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.

The Perennial String Question

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:42 pm

I need some advice about which strings to buy for a Ramirez 125 Anos Cedar.

There are two sets that I've tried both with pros and cons, the cons being sufficient to make me believe there is a more appropriate set out there....

Originally the guitar had been fitted with Hannabach Goldins. I stuck with these for several sets.

The Pros Of Hannabach Goldin on the Anos:

1. Incredibly warm, rounded and sweet tone on the trebles. Lots of sustain. The best treble sound I have ever heard.
2. Unbelievable depth to the bass strings.
3. They settle in almost immediately.
4. Stunning sustain.

The Cons:

1. The bass strings, having such depth, completely lack any top end attack. This is such that the definition of the bass notes is completely lost - you get these amazing low tones but without a clarity of the note. Consequently the treble parts are unbalanced with the bass parts - you get clear treble and this bass 'warmth' that doesn't 'join' the trebles. Still, it's pleasant in it's own way, just too unusual a response to one's playing.
2. I've had milk that has a longer shelf-life. As I've previously posted, the strings deteriorate seriously after about ten days of playing.
3. They're very expensive. Coupled with their shelf-life, this is problematic.

So I switched to D'Addario EJ45 Pro - Arte for the last change.

Pros of the EJ45

1. Half the price of the Goldins.
2. At least three times the longevity.
3. The bass strings have the punch/attack that is missing from the Goldin i.e enough treble on the attack to make the notes more than just bass obvertones. The bass strings blend in more with the trebles and there's less disparity when one moves from bass to trebles.
4. Slightly easier to play.

Cons of the EJ45s

1. The trebles are more 'clicky' than the Goldins and lack the sweetness. You get more of a slight thin brittleness in the attack. Less sustain. This is how I remember Classical Guitar treble strings sounding from when I played twenty years ago. To this extent, I assume that the tone on the EJ45 treble is more the norm.
2. They take a hell of a long time to settle. Even two or three days later they were still unsettled.
3. Intonation problem on the B string. No intonation difficulties with the Goldin whatsover but the EJ45 second string had persistent problems.
4. Less depth to the bass strings than the Goldin.

The Pro-Arte are now at the end of their life so I'm considering which strings to try next- obviously a set that minimises these cons and maximese the pros. There are obviously guitarists here who've put a lot of time in experimenting with sets - I've returned to classical after a twenty year hiatus, so would really appreciate any knowledge and ideas on this. At the moment I'm thinking that Hannabach Silver might be the solution (if there is such a thing). I'm simply going on a hunch they might have some of the qualities of the Goldin but not in such extremes.

Thanks for the time and effort in reading (and maybe replying).
Mark Papa Garcia

Re: The Perennial String Question

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:27 pm

OK Maybe that was a little over-detailed. I'll try a different approach....

I'm about to get a new set of strings for a Ramirez 125 Anos cedar. Any suggestion as to which brand?
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby Cary W » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Some traditional choices that may work for you: Augustine Red, or Savarez 520R.

Cheers.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
Cary W

Postby arran1810 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:15 pm

You seem to like the Goldin trebles better than the basses. You might try mixing the Goldin trebles with a different bass string. I have used Goldin trebles with Savarez Corum basses and liked the combination.
arran1810

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 am

It crossed my mind to mix and match with the Goldin trebles. Unfortunately it's difficult to get hold of Hannabach complete sets, let alone split sets, in the bricks and mortar shops in London.

The London Guitar Studio suggested I try La Bella 2001 (never heard of them myself...) so I'll give those a go first.
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby arran1810 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:14 am

Mark Papa Garcia wrote:It crossed my mind to mix and match with the Goldin trebles. Unfortunately it's difficult to get hold of Hannabach complete sets, let alone split sets, in the bricks and mortar shops in London.

The London Guitar Studio suggested I try La Bella 2001 (never heard of them myself...) so I'll give those a go first.

You might try an internet dealer for split sets. I usually get my strings from Strings by Mail. They sell lots of split sets and even single strings. I don't know about the transatlantic shipping issues, but you might want to shoot them an email.

BTW, I recently put LaBella 2001 on my Dupont and am quite happy so far.
arran1810

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Well I hope these La Bella 2001 bass strings warm up considerably when they've worn in because at the moment they are unbearably glassy and metallic.
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby DanielMcPherson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:05 pm

The Goldin trebles are carbon fiber rather than nylon. You could try some other carbon strings. Oasis has some carbon fiber strings that are very good.

If you want to use some expensive strings, you could match the Goldin trebles with LaBella Argento Pure Silver basses. I doubt "most expensive strings" is your goal, but it would probably be a good combination.
DanielMcPherson

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Several days later and the La Bella have settled in more. The basses have lost some of their clang but are still very metallic and squeaky. Serious intonation problems with the bass strings especially the D. The trebles sound dull and flat to my ears. The Augustines were better than this (although the trebles had more of a click).

Back to the drawing board (or the Goldins...)
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby rojarosguitar » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:45 pm

arran1810 wrote:You seem to like the Goldin trebles better than the basses. You might try mixing the Goldin trebles with a different bass string. I have used Goldin trebles with Savarez Corum basses and liked the combination.

I use sometimes Hannabach fluorocarbon (not goldin) which I personally like even more than goldin, combined with Augustine Red basses. Very nice combination

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby pop » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:11 pm

TRY...hannabach titanyl basses and just play prelude no.1 (villa lobos ) then sceamsssss
cheers,Pop
pop

Postby Sean » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:21 am

Mark,

You could try D'addario rectified trebles. I second Cary W's advice; those would make excellent choices.
Sean

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 am

Augustine Reds, whilst not as rich in tone as the Goldins, seem to be working out well.
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby Mark Papa Garcia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

The Reds were sounding great until I woke up this morning to discover inexplicable fret buzz on the second and third string. @&*£! It's one thing after another.
Mark Papa Garcia

Postby jim1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I have tried quite a number of combinations, but have always come back to the Goldins for trebles and I now am using D'Addario coated EXP 45 Bass. I have been satisfied with the "life" of the Goldin trebles. I have to order from internet provides as no local stores stock the split sets.
jim1 from Mich
Cervantes Crossover 1, Tacoma DR55, Takamine EG523SC12, Custom Nylon Crossover by Zimnicki Guitars
jim1

Return to Classical Guitar Strings