When changing strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:01 pm

ljerams wrote:So you gave us some links to traditional methods and some variations thereon. Nothing special there but I did note that Johnny Walker is stating that the ball on the string should be made before the string is inserted. Somewhat safer than what you recommmend. Hence, as a well respected Luthier (your words) I feel you should change your method accordingly :D

Sasquatch, I am just a 75 year old expert on everything who doesn't like your sarcastic comments. Please cut it out. And don't assume I don't know things if I don't mention them.You do tend to go off at a tangent very quickly, don't you? Are you bad tempered then? :roll: And I am well aware of the various traditional and non traditional methods of tying strings, thank you. The English Dictionary for your information gives the meaning of the word "traditional" as "following the customs or ways of behaving that have continued in a group of people or society for a long time" When I say traditional, that is a scholars definition not mine.

Everything that I say on here is a well considered opinion based on the thread title and opening thread. I shall disagree with you and anybody else if I feel the advice is not good. Likewise, I will support you and others if I feel the opinion is sound.

I rest my case :D
OK. Whatever.

The OP asked a question, I tried to help him and posted an answer. It's a hell of lot more than you did.

By the way, the word "traditonal" was never used. You used the word "accepted". Two different words, two different meanings.

Oh, and I did change that step in the procedure to mention that the string can certainly be melted before it is installed on the guitar....that was something I intended to metion before. An oversight on my part. That step is CLEARLY marked as an optional step anyway. In the English language, the word "optional" means that it is something that is not required. That is the scholars definition, not mine.

BTW, it's not the disagreeing that I take exception to. I have no problem with that whatsoever. As I have said before, I'm not always right. I do the things that work for me, they may not work for everyone. It's the dismissive attitude that I don't like. Disagree with me all you want, but don't assume that just because it's your opinion it's the only correct one and just dismiss mine out of hand. If you leave me alone, I'll be more than happy to leave you alone.

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Sasquatch,
I have never been dismissive of you, indeed I have read some of your earlier posts and never found the need to comment. However, every time I disagree with you on any point, you immediately go flying off the handle, totally misunderstand what I am saying and become very sarcastic. I find that very irritating especially to a senior person.

I have played the guitar for 60 years so I also know a little bit about the methods of stringing.

Yes, I did use the word accepted in my post but I think it was fairly obvious, if you need to split hairs, that I was referring to traditional methods compared to non traditional methods.

Yes, you put a lot of effort into your initial reply but I was unhappy with one of your options and therefore I felt it necessary to comment which is what this Forum is for. Knowing the way you tend to react, I chose to suggest D'Addario as a suitable alternative. I am pleased to hear that you have now revised your method because I was concerned.

You should remember that these posts may be read by youngsters just starting to play the guitar. Hence our advice to them as such must be very good and if I may say so, we should stick to traditional methods until they properly understand the basics. That's what good Teachers do. :wink:

User avatar
Vesuvio
Posts: 14274
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Northern England

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Hello Sasquatch and ljerams,

Sometimes I think it is such a shame that we can only communicate through the written word on the forum. I'm convinced the one-dimensional nature of our discussions here, complicated by the effect of delays between posts, is what sometimes leads us to become irritated with one another.

Were we to have the same discussions face to face, I am sure those kinds of annoyances would melt away with the smiles, raised eyebrows, nudges, winks, clarifications, explanations and other things we add to our day to day exchanges. In fact, if we shared the same neighbourhood, I would like to take you both out to dinner.

Part of that is entirely selfish—I know I could learn so much from both of you. The other part of it is that I am sure you would both get along extremely well—united by a common love for the guitar and its music.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

kelvintang12

Post by kelvintang12 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:46 pm

wow!that's great!

User avatar
James Lister
Luthier
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Post by James Lister » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Vesuvio wrote:Hello Sasquatch and ljerams,

Sometimes I think it is such a shame that we can only communicate through the written word on the forum. I'm convinced the one-dimensional nature of our discussions here, complicated by the effect of delays between posts, is what sometimes leads us to become irritated with one another.
Well said V! :applauso:

but...
Vesuvio wrote: In fact, if we shared the same neighbourhood, I would like to take you both out to dinner.
You're a braver man than I! :strizzalocchio:
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

User avatar
Vesuvio
Posts: 14274
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Northern England

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Sorry folks,

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. James, if I had the chance of an evening out with Sasquatch and ljerams I would be there in a heartbeat—and I would be delighted to have you join us. Wouldn't that be something!

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 am

I'm up for it! Where are we eating?

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:17 am

So I'm waiting here in Thailand and feeling a little hungry. When you come don't forget the present, it is "traditional" here! If you need a suggestion, I'm thinking an Alhambra 7 or above would be well received :D . I would invite James but he appears to be a little nervous for some strange reason. On reflection, he could bring me a free sample though :pace: :sage:

User avatar
Vesuvio
Posts: 14274
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Northern England

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:24 am

Hello ljerams and Sasquatch,

Thailand's great, I've never been there. If only...

Best wishes to you both, V :pace: :discussion:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

jarods

Post by jarods » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:44 am

hello, thank sasquatch for the pics and explanation.
I 'd want to bring my contribution to okdaysdays, and to complete this topics with my own method for blocking strings and the raison why.
So here are two pics to understand better than a long speech 8)
I will think this topics in the "strings and nails" section, by the way ....

in "one" of the traditional attach, we can remark the point of breaking for the string in "B" , but secondly the (bad) angle of the string in the hole, because a tension exist due to the string pulling the point B towards the back .

in the second pic i adopted this method on my two guitars, the string is straight in the hole, no point of breaking , BUT no angle at the entrance of the hole...advantage : firstly the bass strings will last more ! before dead ! secondly , sound will be a little better (*)... thirdly : you have not to reverse the three basses if you 'd want to use it again 15 days more...
right, the condition is to have a correct diameter to fill the hole twice with the same diameter! but that's possible to do with some appropriated tools...
with particular string 1 th as goldin hannabach , fill the hole three times :idea:
as you noticed , the edge of each nylon string are as a sphere ending, for more security :idea: ...i did that when the string is in its location ; be carefull and always protect the guitar, and use a (red :lol: ) soldering iron tool , for electronian... :idea:, sorry i 'll think it is the technic term :wink:

(*)a well attaching method at the machine heads, as at the bridge, then the good shape of the saddle ( and its nature : bone) in A location (point of tangence) ... the sum of these factors will tend towards a better quality for the sound...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jarods on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:32 am

Vesuvio wrote:Hello ljerams and Sasquatch,

Thailand's great, I've never been there. If only...

Best wishes to you both, V :pace: :discussion:
Oh, yeah! :okok: I love Thailand. There's about a gazillion good places to eat there. In fact, in Bangkok there 's a great seafood place on Sukhumvit Road, must be around Soi 24 or so. It's HUGE. You go through with a shopping cart and pick out the seafood you want (which all slept in the ocean the night before...very fresh). The seafood is all laid out on ice and you just take what you want...fish, shellfish, lobsters, prawns, crabs, whatever, or they have chicken, beef, pork, etc.....then you pick out what vegetables and fruits and stuff you want with it, then you check out. Just like a supermarket. Then, while you're checking out, you tell them how you want it cooked and what you want to drink, and they take you to a table. From that point, it's just like eating at any other nice restaurant. It's great!

User avatar
James Lister
Luthier
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Post by James Lister » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

ljerams wrote:So I'm waiting here in Thailand and feeling a little hungry. When you come don't forget the present, it is "traditional" here! If you need a suggestion, I'm thinking an Alhambra 7 or above would be well received :D . I would invite James but he appears to be a little nervous for some strange reason. On reflection, he could bring me a free sample though :pace: :sage:
Well, I've never been to Thailand, and I'd be happy to bring a free sample of one of my guitars. Would mp3 format be OK for you? :roll:

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:31 pm

James,

I get the feeling that I have been misunderstood again (intentionally)

Your mp3, would that be a cedar top model? :roll:

Eldert
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:27 am
Location: Hengelo the Netherlands

Post by Eldert » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:07 pm

"There have been a number of discussions on this, and I hope this isn't going to start another one guys! "

Well JMD Lister..................
there are newcomers on this forum you know......
Eldert

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Eldert wrote:"There have been a number of discussions on this, and I hope this isn't going to start another one guys! "

Well JMD Lister..................
there are newcomers on this forum you know......
Eldert
Trust me, that's not one you want to see get started in here again. Basically there are two camps...one believes it's perfectly OK to remove all of the strings at once when changing strings, the other thinks it's bad to remove all of the strings at once. The discussions tend to get a little heated, and the two sides are never going to agree, so there's no point in starting it again.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Leo and 5 guests