When changing strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
montana

Re: When changing strings

Post by montana » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:52 am

sounds like James wrapped this one up, hey why dont we all head over to the cafe and see whats happening there :grire:

bogdan101

Post by bogdan101 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:13 pm

sgreen wrote:
KeMe wrote:I just looked at the warranty pamphlet that came with my Alhambra and it advises against taking off all of the strings at one time. I suppose that if any damages occur because of it, then the warranty wouldn't cover the damage.
Kay :sorride:
That is the good thing you caught it. Although may sound like a harmless thing to do it may still cancel your warranty.

- sgreen

Yes, these new Alhambras have a sensing device; when they feel no string tension on the neck, a chemical reaction is triggered which will turn your guitar purple. Purple guitar - no warranty!

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 am

Wow! 3 years to discuss this one... Anyway if anyone got here after reading the alternative method and to Sasquatch51 if you even check back here anymore...
I'm not commenting on the benefits of this tie off approach but want to make a suggestion about making ball ends...

I don't use this exact method, and prefer to use a pretty simple approach as I find the ball end is enough to keep the strings from slipping... I DO however ball the end of the strings to avoid slippage and the only thing I would add/suggest is that the heating be done before putting strings on the guitar... This saves any risk of 'catching the guitar on fire' ;-) and does away with the need to cover it (although some may still prefer something to protect the area behind the bridge in case of breakage). I also heat the tip to make the ball, let it cool then heat the ball again very quickly. This second heating rounds out the ball and keeps it from having a hard edge that digs into the bridge.

Anyway, I usually have enough room to push the string through ball end first. When I don't, I simply push the string in from the backside of the bridge. This sometimes results in the string tip catching at the base of the bridge where the saddle is (sorry don't know the name for this) so I use one of two ways to lift string. I either bend the tip a tiny bit or use another string, making a little loop to pull the tip of the string up past the base of the saddle part of the bridge... Simple.

Or even simpler... Buy Savarez strings that already have a ball end...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 am

About purple guitars... I've read that Prince prefers them purple so he purposely removes all strings at once... Of course you can never entirely trust what you read on the interweb :-D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

naveenrogers

Post by naveenrogers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:45 pm

I am glad I saw this thread... THanks !!!

Prashanth Sebastian

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm

hi.very goooood job. :D

well done. :bravo:

it is very useful
:merci:

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 am

I thought this video on how to restring is worthy as another reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx1IG93sEs4

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks,

Nice way to string the guitar and it looks like my job nextime is going to be better and much simpler! Can you purchase the tool he has on the drill or just make one somehow?

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 pm

I've seen ssomething like that for sale but you could easily make one with a socket and some plastic or foam.
-James-

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Alan, you can look up online for a "Zap-it EZ Winder" with a 1/4" hex stem or a "Peg Winder for guitar" (manual) for a few bucks :)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks to the both of you!

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 am

dta721 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm
Alan, you can look up online for a "Zap-it EZ Winder" with a 1/4" hex stem or a "Peg Winder for guitar" (manual) for a few bucks :)
One warning... Make sure to use these on a low torque screwdriver speed. Using with a single (high) speed drill will wind the string up too quickly.
-James-

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:50 pm

robin loops wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 am
dta721 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm
One warning... Make sure to use these on a low torque screwdriver speed. Using with a single (high) speed drill will wind the string up too quickly.
Good point! Thus, the manual peg winder is a better choice, which safely speeds up the process.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”