Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
es335
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by es335 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:07 am

Dogal provides just one unified tension data which is similar unclear and mysterious as Pyramid's tension classification.

RT are called to have a tension of 7.2 kg and 7.4 kg for HT whatever this will apply to?!?
High e string, average tension ... I really don't know!!! :?

From my personal experience, the RT trebles feel softer than d'Addario or Savarez RT trebles albeit quite close in diamater. From my experiences with Cantiga reds, I would expect that they feel stronger than the Dogal RT basses which I use as well, as they fit my guitar perfectly. I highly recommend to try them first, in particular as you can't avoid to buy them as well!

From that point of view, I would suggest to use HT Dogals with Cantiga blue, in case you prefer a more balanced tension distribution opposed to light top, heavy bottom solutions like Savarez' ARJ.

Cheers es335

Toccata

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Toccata » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 am

I took advantage of SBM's sale and bought some sets, and I like them a lot. Not as dull as most nylon and not as metallic as most carbons. The basses seem fine--not astounding, but good enough!

User avatar
andi33x
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by andi33x » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi,
I finally succeeded to get a set in Munich. I think it was the last set in the whole town. :roll:

I put them on my spruce top guitar some weeks ago. Now indeed they are really good but it took very very long to get them somewhat stable.

Now I have a very interesting behaviour I never saw before. After coming at home in the evening from work I take the guitar and tune it. In general all strings are a bit too low so I tune them up correctly.
After playing some minutes the tuning is still ok except the B and G strings. They are tuned a bit to high now and I have to lower them!

Never saw this.
Does anyone understand that?

CU Andi
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

tddarco
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Vigo, Spain

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by tddarco » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Andi,
That happened to me when I was playing on La Bella 2001 strings. I would tune up to play like always then after my hands would warm up the G and B strings I would have to tune them back down - a lot. Then after taking a break I'd have to tune back up, warm up, then tune back down. Back and forth..I was constantly fine tuning, in fact more than I was playing, or so it seemed. That G string was a nightmare, for me anyway, but I do have fond memories of the bass strings on that set. They were nice. -Tony

User avatar
andi33x
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by andi33x » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:38 pm

tddarco wrote:Hi Andi,
That happened to me when I was playing on La Bella 2001 strings. I would tune up to play like always then after my hands would warm up the G and B strings I would have to tune them back down - a lot. Then after taking a break I'd have to tune back up, warm up, then tune back down. Back and forth..I was constantly fine tuning, in fact more than I was playing, or so it seemed. That G string was a nightmare, for me anyway, but I do have fond memories of the bass strings on that set. They were nice. -Tony
:merci:
Hi Tony, this is really interesting. I didn't consider the temperature. Indeed I also have the rollercoaster effect when taking breaks.
Many thanks!
Andi
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

es335
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by es335 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm

This is a known effect associated with other "new" recipe trebles.
Augustin Regals and the G string are the worst in that aspect on my guitar.

Temperature is the main influence and I just recently discovered, that giving the guitar some time (5-10min) to acclimate to room temperature reduces this rollercoaster effect significantly!

User avatar
andi33x
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by andi33x » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm

es335 wrote:This is a known effect associated with other "new" recipe trebles.
Augustin Regals and the G string are the worst in that aspect on my guitar.

Temperature is the main influence and I just recently discovered, that giving the guitar some time (5-10min) to acclimate to room temperature reduces this rollercoaster effect significantly!
This is right.
In my case the room temperature is not the key. The guitar stays always in the same room with a constant temperature. The effect then comes with playing.
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

User avatar
jpryan
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:09 am
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by jpryan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:40 am

It wasn't this thread, but someone on this forum mentioned Dogal trebles and I decided to try yet another new variety of string expecting the same disappointing results as all the others I've used over the years. I've been blaming my current guitar for a dull treble sound. These Dogal's ring wonderfully! The basses seem fine, but I haven't been paying much attention to them, really. These trebles are all I need. I don't even think I'll play the bass string any more. :lol: I never would have believed a string could make such a difference. Good job Dogal Diamante NR127B Regulars! :applauso: And thanks to whoever it was that recommended them so convincingly that I decided to give them a try. Got to get back to playing my trebles. It's like a different guitar!
--John

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:26 am

jpryan wrote:It wasn't this thread, but someone on this forum mentioned Dogal trebles and I decided to try yet another new variety of string expecting the same disappointing results as all the others I've used over the years. I've been blaming my current guitar for a dull treble sound. These Dogal's ring wonderfully! The basses seem fine, but I haven't been paying much attention to them, really. These trebles are all I need. I don't even think I'll play the bass string any more. :lol: I never would have believed a string could make such a difference. Good job Dogal Diamante NR127B Regulars! :applauso: And thanks to whoever it was that recommended them so convincingly that I decided to give them a try. Got to get back to playing my trebles. It's like a different guitar!
Hi John

Yes, they are a spectacularly good set of treble strings. I use them on both spruce and cedar, but sometimes swap out the G for an Oasis or Hense carbon. I find the bass strings OK but think the best overall match are the Dogal strongs (just a touch more projection that the normals but still very modest tension and hence easy on the left hand) paired with the Savarez Cantiga medium tenmsion bass strings. When asked (which admittedly is rather rarely!!), that is what I always recommend as my starting position for a top flight set of strings.

Hope you find some more music that uses only 3 strings.... :lol:

Peter

Vassily

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Vassily » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 pm

tddarco wrote:Hi Andi,
That happened to me when I was playing on La Bella 2001 strings. I would tune up to play like always then after my hands would warm up the G and B strings I would have to tune them back down - a lot. Then after taking a break I'd have to tune back up, warm up, then tune back down. Back and forth..I was constantly fine tuning, in fact more than I was playing, or so it seemed. That G string was a nightmare, for me anyway, but I do have fond memories of the bass strings on that set. They were nice. -Tony
I noticed that too (with La Bella 2001)! Now I just heat up the strings with the palm of my hand before playing. Sometimes I need both hands, and then I have to heat up my hand again afterwards but oh well... I also resist the urge to tune when I start playing, and only tune after a few minutes when it will stabilizes. Usually it stabilizes relatively close to the previous session's tuned value, so there is actually little need for tuning in the end.

I try to heat up the entire length of string with the palm method. I figure that I am only heating up the outsides of the string, then as I play the bits where my hands are will get heated up more, while bits like near the 19th fret will be hardly touched and therefore cool down, so the total heat of the string will be relatively consistent?

User avatar
Jae Lee
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:35 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Jae Lee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 am

As someone recommended, I've tested Dogal trebles and Savarez Cantiga basses (both are normal tension) on my 1967 Nakade guitar that I recently got.
I seldom experiment with strings because I'm a big fan of D'addario (Ej45 or 46) for a long time. But my Nakada doesn't go well with D'addario.
Dogal is definitely better than D'addario on my guitar but I'm not sure if it's greatly better. But anyway, Dogal gives more claity, volume and brightness, but something lacks (I can't explain it, sorry)
Dogal regular is very similiar to D'addario normal in terms of tension.
I'm not sure if I continue to use Dogal from now on, considering its high price. I guess D'addario titanium is a good economical alternative to Dogal trebles.
Savarez Cantiga basses are good. Highly recommended.
I think D'addario company needs more creative efforts to develope new strings like Dogal's nylon-carbon synthesis strings; otherwise, they will soon lose their leading position in the string industry and American customers will go to European string companies. I'm sorry for this kind of out-of-dated patriotism but since I change strings every month and I'm in the US, I want to use best strings with a good price, strings made by an American company.

User avatar
Moderato
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Moderato » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 am

jaesarang wrote: I'm not sure if I continue to use Dogal from now on, considering its high price. I guess D'addario titanium is a good economical alternative to Dogal trebles.
Savarez Cantiga basses are good. Highly recommended.
I think D'addario company needs more creative efforts to develope new strings like Dogal's nylon-carbon synthesis strings; otherwise, they will soon lose their leading position in the string industry and American customers will go to European string companies. I'm sorry for this kind of out-of-dated patriotism but since I change strings every month and I'm in the US, I want to use best strings with a good price, strings made by an American company.
+1

D'addario also needs to offer some different options in terms of the relative tensions between the strings.
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

Norman Spencer

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Norman Spencer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm

After reading all the raves here, I just had to trythese strings. I ordered some sets of the Dogal Extra Soft. They were totally marvelous on my Yamaha Silent Guitar, but the basses seemed to be a bit weak on my Ramirez 2NE. Next order will be for normal tension. It must be said that these extra soft stings are really easy on the left hand. Like many here, I am waiting for the SBM sale.

User avatar
chelson
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by chelson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Have been using Dogal for sometime, and should still continue with it.

Just check out the black friday sales on the mail order shop, seems that Dogal is actually one of the most expensive strings around, isn't it?
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

John Oster

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by John Oster » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:30 pm

chelson wrote:Have been using Dogal for sometime, and should still continue with it.

Just check out the black friday sales on the mail order shop, seems that Dogal is actually one of the most expensive strings around, isn't it?
A few German strings, such as certain Knobloch and Hannabach are even more expensive.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leo and 7 guests