Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm

PAN A575 wrote:Thanks Peter. I should have asked before I ordered the Dogals. I could have added the Cantiga to the order and possibly saved any addition shipping cost. If the Dogals work out as well as most reviews here, I''ll order more and include the Cantigas. Would that be the 510R Bass?
That is indeed the series. You can go into any of the Cantiga sets on the SBM menu and pick the bass only sets in the tension you want (I use medium tension Cantiga with the string Dogals) and you will be OK. The actual numbers on the bass string packets when they arrive will be 516R, 515R and 514R. These are part of the 510 set. To save on shipping I'd also get a set of Sonata basses at the same time.......

Peter

PAN A575

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by PAN A575 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 am

Thank you, good sir. Sonata basses shall be added to the order. :)

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 am

PAN A575 wrote:Thank you, good sir. Sonata basses shall be added to the order. :)
Just before you order, and for anybody else's information who might be interested, I just got an email from fretsonly.com about a two for one special on their web site to the end of April. I bought 6 sets last special and will soon be buying six more (six sets optimises the price per pack including air post).

Taking their current price, ex VAT (sorry if you are in the UK or EU) and adding the postage and doing a currency conversion to US dollars (the best currency for comparisons) gives the following prices per set including delivery:

2 sets $9.50 per set
4 sets $7.60 per set
6 sets $6.95 per set

Just so you know how sharp these prices are, SBM sells them for $15 per set PLUS shipping and their prices are normally very, very competitive over a range of brands.

These are for full sets including trebles. While I favour the Dogals the Sonata trebles are not very far behind in my taste and well ahead of most brands, at least on my guitars. Makes it a massive bargain.
Peter

User avatar
gabasa
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by gabasa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:33 pm

It has been 1 year and 8 months since this thread first began. Do we all feel the same about Dogal trebles today? Are they still "the best"?

pvg

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by pvg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm

gabasa wrote:It has been 1 year and 8 months since this thread first began. Do we all feel the same about Dogal trebles today? Are they still "the best"?
No. My own experience is that they sound pretty good at first- warm, clear tone, pretty nice G string- but after a couple of weeks (about 2hours playing a day) they start to "nag" me. And they start to fray, and are difficult to tune (i.e. to find a tuning that is agreeable over the entire fingerboard)... Just my reaction, of course.
Also, judging from the mixed reactions on this thread, there's no consensus about their uncontested superiority.
Regards
pvg

Cincy2
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Cincy2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Agree. They don't hold their tune very well at all. I've switched back to D'Addario titanium trebles which are very stable.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

User avatar
tubeman
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by tubeman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:26 pm

I just put a set of Dogal Diamante trebles with Savarez Cantiga basses on my Byers--a great combo! I previously had a set of Savarez Creation strings--the Dogal trebles are a bit brighter and richer to my ears. Intonation is fine, and tuning seems on par with the Savarez New Cristals that are in the Creation set.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Does anybody know which sets of diamanté are similar in tension to D'Addario EJ45,-and which are similar to Savarez 520R?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 pm
Does anybody know which sets of diamanté are similar in tension to D'Addario EJ45,-and which are similar to Savarez 520R?
I don't have the exact figures but the Diamanté strings are low tension, particularly the trebles. Buy either Strong or Extra Strong trebles (they are the same string). They will feel similar to EJ45 and they sound better than the lower tension Diamanté trebles in my view.

Don't bother with their basses. They are probably no better than EJ45 basses (or only marginally so). You can do better eg Savarez Cantiga Normal tension, which happen to also often work well with the Dogal trebles.

Peter

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:24 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 pm
Does anybody know which sets of diamanté are similar in tension to D'Addario EJ45,-and which are similar to Savarez 520R?
I don't have the exact figures but the Diamanté strings are low tension, particularly the trebles. Buy either Strong or Extra Strong trebles (they are the same string). They will feel similar to EJ45 and they sound better than the lower tension Diamanté trebles in my view.

Don't bother with their basses. They are probably no better than EJ45 basses (or only marginally so). You can do better eg Savarez Cantiga Normal tension, which happen to also often work well with the Dogal trebles.

Peter

Thanks, Peter, for helping me to skip trying basses I wouldn't like. If they are like the D'Addario basses, I don't want to go there. I will try those.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 am

Well, I put the Dogal trebles on (Diamanté) a few days ago. The high E String is a little pingy, but other than the first string, they really don't sound like carbons. The G string isn't tubby at all. I think that the Dogal Diamanté G string would make a nice replacement for those who don't like the Carbon G offered by Ramirez, and it isn't as plastic sounding as the Alliance G I had on my guitar.

I will probably put a nylon string on for the first string as the Diamanté 1st string is rather stiff. They sound balanced with the basses (Savarez medium tension Cantigas) that PeterMC61 recommended.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 am

I put the strings on I believe on the 18th. After some days, the pingy sound of the 1st string has settled down. I am really impressed with the Diamante G string. It's like the nylon component of the G wants to tub out, but the carbon won't let it. I am going to try it on my daughter's 2NE and see how it works with Savarez 520R.
Thanks again to PeterMC61 for suggesting the Diamante trebles with the Savarez Cantiga basses. There is an excellent balance between volume of the trebles compared to the basses with this combination.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 am
I put the strings on I believe on the 18th. After some days, the pingy sound of the 1st string has settled down. I am really impressed with the Diamante G string. It's like the nylon component of the G wants to tub out, but the carbon won't let it. I am going to try it on my daughter's 2NE and see how it works with Savarez 520R.
Thanks again to PeterMC61 for suggesting the Diamante trebles with the Savarez Cantiga basses. There is an excellent balance between volume of the trebles compared to the basses with this combination.
My pleasure, I am glad they worked for you.

ben etow
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by ben etow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I've just put a Diamante "soft" B. After 18 hours, It feels and sounds like a low tension bright sounding nylon (Savarez New Cristal as to sound and feel, not tensionwise). The sustain is much lower than the same notes on both my first Optima carbon NT and my third Dr. Junger supersona LT (and both seem to sound warmer!).
I don't think this B will make it through 48 hours.

I wasn't convinced either by their lightest tension first on another guitar, so I think it's the last time I put Dogal strings on any guitar. There are so many better options IMO...

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dogal...The best treble strings I have ever played.

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm

ben etow wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm
I've just put a Diamante "soft" B. After 18 hours, It feels and sounds like a low tension bright sounding nylon (Savarez New Cristal as to sound and feel, not tensionwise). The sustain is much lower than the same notes on both my first Optima carbon NT and my third Dr. Junger supersona LT (and both seem to sound warmer!).
I don't think this B will make it through 48 hours.

I wasn't convinced either by their lightest tension first on another guitar, so I think it's the last time I put Dogal strings on any guitar. There are so many better options IMO...
Ben

Not sure whether this will address your concerns but try the Strong tension (which are really low tension). The Soft you tried are very low in tension and have never impressed me. The Strong do, on the right guitar.

Regards
Peter

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Leo and 5 guests