Unwound D String

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.

Unwound D String

Postby MichaelBo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

I have been having problems with the D string on my guitars. This string is very thin, compared to the other wound strings, and the winding doesn't last long escpecially over the saddle. Has anyone heard of a manufacturer who makes unwound D strings? Mayvbe it's not feasible?
Thanks - m
Mike
"Adversity introduces you to yourself"
MichaelBo
Amateur luthier

Re: Unwound D String

Postby Intune » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm

I've never seen an unwound D string, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Regarding the problem you've been having with this string where it passes over the saddle, maybe the edge of the saddle is too sharp at this point and is damaging the string. I'd check out this edge and, if it's indeed too sharp, then I'd round off this spot a little bit with a piece of sandpaper. Don't take off too much material, as you don't want to alter the action -- just enough to dull the edge if it's sharp and keep it from digging into the string.The D string shouldn't be unwinding or breaking where it crosses the saddle. You could also change to a different brand of string and see if that brings better results.
Last edited by Intune on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau
Intune

Postby Guitar-ded » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Like Intune I've never seen or heard of unwound D strings, although they may exist, but I don't think so, wound Gs yes, but not at all sure of unwound Ds.
Logically the problem must be with either the string or the saddle, so if you try various sets of strings with the same problem then it must be the saddle or every guitar would have the same problem.
As Intune mentions it may be some sharpness on the edge of the saddle.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.
Guitar-ded

Postby robin loops » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:31 pm

eeeewwwwwww!

One thing that helps keep it together at the saddle is to never use the loosely wound portion of the string (on some brands) at the saddle end of things. Also once in a while you can use your nail (not one of your PIMA nails) to push the windings a little tighter together at the point it crosses saddle. Also check your saddle to make sure that it's not sharp where the string crosses it. FOr wear at frets: polish your frets as worn frets will wear away string windings much faster. Also try playing with a lighter touch (sometimes requires lower action).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-
robin loops

Postby MichaelBo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:51 pm

All good comments. Thanks. All three of my classicals do the same thing. I've tried lots of saddles, different heights, and every string I can find. Robin brought to mind something I intended to try but forgot about: Pushing the wraps together where they go over the saddle is a good idea. I was also going to try winding the string in a direction that tightens up the windings.
Thanks again - m
Mike
MichaelBo
Amateur luthier

Postby jpryan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 am

You're not having this issue are you? http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65011#p712812 That loose, floppy part of the string shouldn't be used to tie the string on. It's not strong enough.
--John
jpryan

Postby Guitar-ded » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:54 pm

If all three of your guitars are having the same problem with different brands of strings then you've got to look at how you're tying the strings, unless you are really unlucky and have the same saddle problem on all three which you have to think would be a rare coincidence.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.
Guitar-ded

Postby MichaelBo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I've tried both ends at various times - no change. Interesting, though, that Hannabach has had quality issues. I've been using them a lot.
Thanks,
m
Mike
MichaelBo
Amateur luthier

Postby Dave1947 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 am

Unwound G's sound dull enough! Unwound D's would sound pretty bad I think! Probably why you don't see them. Standard tension D string EJ45's last a fairly long time on all 4 of my guitars...like the others said, you're either tying them wrong or your saddle has sharp edges.
Dave1947

Postby brian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 am

I used to tear through ej45 d strings like
nobody's business. not at the saddle but on
the frets. then the exp45 version came out and
I haven't looked back. no more problems.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields
brian

Postby MichaelBo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks, Brian. I think I tried EXPs before and if I recall correctly, they worked well. I have never had a string come unwound at the saddle (nice round edge) but, as you said, I have them come unwound at the frets auite often and with little playing. I often wonder if it is merely the way I play. I know that I use a great deal of pressure when chording, especially barre chords.
Thanks again, m.
Mike
MichaelBo
Amateur luthier

Postby ken » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Here I am only addressing what you said about the 4th string being thin. If you use ,and I recomend Oasis normal tension carbon 3rd string (no affiliation) the thicness of th 4th and 3rd will be closer. I think you will like the tone of the carbon normal tension string better than the nylon 3rd better too. More sustain, no tubbiness.
Hill Torres 1856
ken

Postby MichaelBo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks, Ken. I'll try it. I've tried D'Addario carbons and like the way they sound.
m
Mike
MichaelBo
Amateur luthier

Postby es335 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:28 pm

MichaelBo wrote:Thanks, Ken. I'll try it. I've tried D'Addario carbons and like the way they sound.
m

I suppose you mentioned the coffee colored G string d'Addario provides with their EXP sets. These are no carbon strings! Carbon is the only type or strings d'Addario is not offering!
es335

Return to Classical Guitar Strings