Tips for restringing classical guitar

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
lagartija

Re: Tips for restringing classical guitar

Post by lagartija » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:54 am
Peskyendeavour wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:52 pm
And I thought the less squeaky the better - and that they just got broken in! Oops...... :oops:
Well it also depends on the precise make of string, some are incredibly squeaky when new and few players can control the excess noise, so its best to use them after a few hours play, but the point is after a while one is losing a whole load of tone after the squeaks are long gone. Its such a gradual process for most people, the exact point of that loss is impossible to pinpoint.
Darn!! And here I thought the lack of squeaks was an improvement in my technique. :-P
(Just kidding... ;-) )
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Peskyendeavour wrote:
And I thought the less squeaky the better - and that they just got broken in! Oops...... :oops:
Well it also depends on the precise make of string, some are incredibly squeaky when new and few players can control the excess noise, so its best to use them after a few hours play, but the point is after a while one is losing a whole load of tone after the squeaks are long gone. Its such a gradual process for most people, the exact point of that loss is impossible to pinpoint.
Yeah now you mention I realise about the wear under the string at second fret... and I had been puzzled for two weeks about tonal quality of my playing of Carcassi étude in A - the bar where barring of IX then using the D string for C# D was not producing the right sound and much less clear than the newer strings 1 2 3... and I thought it was my playing... until you said so

I tried playing the same piece on my other guitar which had a set of strings put on the same time and it sounded even and fine... so it wasn't me after all... I was blaming my own technique all this time...

I thought it was because the gut strings I was trying wears out quicker so no need for changing the bass... but actually the time is also ripe!

Thanks for this advice, much appreciated.

:merci: :oops: :roll: :lol:

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 pm

lagartija wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Peskyendeavour wrote:
Darn!! And here I thought the lack of squeaks was an improvement in my technique. :-P
(Just kidding... ;-) )
:casque: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Members' Announcements”