Do artificial nails damage your natural nails?

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
davekear

Do artificial nails damage your natural nails?

Post by davekear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 am

No, not if you know what you're doing. We have had guitarplayernails.com for over twenty years now. We have thousands of guitarists who have used, and are currently using our nails long term with nothing but great results. If you are aware of just a few simple things, you can use artificial nails every day for your entire life with no damage to your natural nails. I personally have applied, and have taken off thousands of artificial nails on my own fingers. I haven't used my real nails in well over twenty years now, and my natural nails are perfectly healthy. One important thing to remember is that your nails are always growing, so there will always be new nail. Fingernails are made from keratin. There are no nerve endings, no pores, and despite what some may believe, fingernails do not need to breathe. So it does not hurt to cover the natural nail with fingernail glue, and whatever material you may prefer; (ping pong balls, nail tips, our nails, etc). And of course, the nail will grow out in just a few weeks and there will always be new nail. When applied correctly, there is no substitute for good artificial nail material applied with fingernail glue. That way the nail becomes part of you, and feels like a really good natural nail. You just can't get the same results by using fingerpicks, Alaska picks, or Rico nails with glue dots; As a temporary solution....fine, but your playing will suffer during this time. (By the way if you like the pre-formed nails like the Rico nails, you don't have to pay $1.50 for each nail. You can get them at retail stores, drug stores etc, for a lot less. We sell them at guitarplayernails.com for less than twenty cents each). Pre-formed nails are not made from the best material for guitar nails; (ABS plastic), but some are better than others. Using silk wrap with pre-formed nails also helps. But there is material out there, that if applied correctly, sounds like great natural nails, is durable, easy to use, has great feel and tone.... and will help your guitar playing immensely.
This is what Eliot Fisk says about our nails at guitarplayernails.com:
"This is a huge revolutionary change for guitar players. I think even you do not realize how big of a revolution this represents. We are now in the realm of bassoon and oboe players with their reeds!!"
Eliot Fisk.
Anyway, no matter what kind of artificial nails you use, keep these things in mind.
Always keep the nail sealed. If the nail comes up off the natural nail, glue it back down. Never let the nail fall off on its own. Either leave it on, or take it off.This way you won't get water stuck in between the natural and artificial nail.
Always only apply artificial nails to 3/4 of your natural nail plate at the most. Always leave the back of the nail free of any nail material.
If your natural nail is thin or sensitive, (from removing acrylic nails, or you removed too much natural nail, etc.), always build it up a bit with some brush on nail glue, or any viscous nail glue, so that there is no longer any sensitivity. Then put on a new nail.
Even if fingernail glue dries out your nail, makes it brittle, feels weird etc., it's nothing to worry about, there will always be new nail growing out. Follow the above rules and your natural nails will be fine.
We have a lot more info at guitarplayernails.com that you can use no matter what nails you decide to use. We've learned a lot over the last 25 years or so, much more than I can put down here. Bottom line is you can have great sounding nails any time you want. And when you get a bit of experience, you'll be able to remove an old nail, put on a new nail and be ready to play in 4 or 5 minutes.

Cloth Ears

Re: Do artificial nails damage your natural nails?

Post by Cloth Ears » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:32 am

Since nails grow as scales, then leaving anything stuck to the surface long term can cause the growing nail to buckle underneath it. This occurs particularly with acrylic nails, where the nail bed has been filed back before application. I have seen a guitar player whose nails were permanently damaged leaving a buckled surface by the misuse of acrylic nails.

Personally just some silk and superglue do the job, and come off daily due to much practice.

I am guessing the mods will delete this thread as commercial posts are against the terms of this site.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:46 am

Cloth Ears wrote:Since nails grow as scales, then leaving anything stuck to the surface long term can cause the growing nail to buckle underneath it. This occurs particularly with acrylic nails, where the nail bed has been filed back before application. I have seen a guitar player whose nails were permanently damaged leaving a buckled surface by the misuse of acrylic nails.

Personally just some silk and superglue do the job, and come off daily due to much practice.
If done correctly, the nail will not buckle, it will simply grow out with the natural nail. Again, we've been doing this
for over twenty years with thousands of guitarists using our nails, I've never seen that. I guess that could happen if you painted the acrylic onto the skin or cuticle. There are some problems that can occur, but for every one so far there has been a solution. I also do not recommend acrylic nails, but for different reasons. Although millions of women have been using acrylic nails for many years without the problem of which you speak. I don't know exactly what occurred there, but it was a rare event. Maybe other things were going on as well.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I've been reading about this product and though I don't have breaking or growing nail problems gardening season is coming. That's when I have accidents and two weeks without a playing nail is no fun. So, I think I'll check out your product!
Thanks for the discussion!
Hauser III 2014!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:59 pm

All my experiments with artificial nailes ended with desatrous state of affairs for my natural nails. I finished it altogether and slowly regained my nailes.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:25 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:All my experiments with artificial nailes ended with desatrous state of affairs for my natural nails. I finished it altogether and slowly regained my nailes.
Yes, a lot of people have experienced less than optimum results using various types of artificial nails. I too experienced it as well. That's why over the last twenty years or so we've been developing materials and methods of application that solve these problems. And we've done that. There are various reasons why guitarists have problems with different types of artificial nails, and they are very specific problems. But they don't have to occur, and won't occur if you know how to avoid them. It actually boils down to just a few things to to be aware of. On the other hand, the benefits that can be achieved using artificial nails correctly are very desirable. You can have perfect nails anytime you want. You don't have to worry about your natural nails, just keep them short. Go chop wood or work concrete, if you break a nail take a few minutes and put a new one on. You can experiment with good artificial nails. Experiment with angle, filing techniques, length of nail etc., and if you screw up, just put a new nail on. With a good artificial nail you can even adjust the tone after the nail is applied. These are some of the reasons why Eliot Fisk says: "This is a huge revolutionary change for guitar players". Because it is. It's like a violinist with a good bow. But just like learning to do a tremolo, or a rasqueado, or any other technique, you have to learn how to apply nails properly, and there is a learning curve. But it's not rocket science. At guitarplayernails.com we do this every day. A large part of what we do is education. Our main job is to get people over that initial learning curve, so that they can create for themselves perfect nails any time they want for the rest of their lives. We Skype with our customers, talk to them, e-mail back and forth...whatever it takes. And it's not really that difficult, you just need to know how to do it. As I mentioned, I haven't used my natural nails in almost twenty five years now. I have some videos on this site you can listen to and you can hear our nails. Click on my name and then "search users posts". I recently recorded some Bach, and some other stuff there. You can also go to You Tube and just type in Dave Kear. All the tunes I'm playing are played with guitarplayernails. Or listen to Eliot Fisk or Grisha Goryachev to name a couple. Both of them use our nails all of the time.

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:52 am

See below. Don't know how to delete this one.
Last edited by davekear on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

I thought I'd add a link to one of our instructional videos. Material is very important for tone and feel, but methods of application are just as important. If the application process seems a bit invasive, it's not really. I've personally removed and applied many thousands of nails over the last twenty years or so, and my natural nails are fine. So are all of the other guitarist that use our nails. I'll re-emphasize the fact that your nails are continually growing, and will always grow out. There will always be new nail. Follow our instructions, keep the nail sealed, apply to no more than 3/4 of the nail plate, build your nail up first if its' too thin, and you'll be fine. Even if you never use our nails, this video as well as our written instructions on our site can be very helpful if you have nail problems.
Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/tIj2rLIGai0

Return to “Members' Announcements”