First solo album release date (free Walton v. preview)

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Sean Shibe

First solo album release date (free Walton v. preview)

Post by Sean Shibe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Hey Friends!

I'm releasing an album with Scottish label, Delphian. It'll contain works by Dowland, Arnold, Walton, Berkeley and Britten! You can listen to excerpts and link to pre orders on my website (www.seanshibe.com). I've uploaded some stuff I'm pretty proud of there, do please check it out :)

Love to all :casque:

Sean
what kind of strings do you use though

pogmoor

Re: First solo album release date (free Walton v. preview)

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Good for you - looking forward to its release :D
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks for the notification. Here in the US it is already available for listening on Apple Music; I look forward to my morning commute tomorrow when I will listen to it.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Bravo. This is a terrific all of the performances very much, but I will single out Nocturnal as it is the one selection on the album that I have played and I know the recordings very well. Your performance is one of the best I know of. Wonderful changes of color and dynamics, including some really fierce, percussive chords in IV - Uneasy. And lovely little details like the slight emphasis and shaping given to the repeated eighth notes in the Passacaglia.

The only complaint I have (and it is a small one, and might be entirely my imagination) is that there is a subtle but notable change in the recorded sound between the end of the Passacaglia and the beginning of the theme...the overall level of the guitar seems slightly fuller, and it provides a little extra emphasis that, to me, takes something away from an otherwise beautiful transition.

This little detail hardly dents what is otherwise a terrific performance, and this album will go from Apple Music streaming to my permanent collection!
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm
Thanks for the notification. Here in the US it is already available for listening on Apple Music; I look forward to my morning commute tomorrow when I will listen to it.
Ah awesome hadn't realised that. I think it is available in China too to coincide with my tour. Brits come last ahahaha

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm
Bravo. This is a terrific all of the performances very much, but I will single out Nocturnal as it is the one selection on the album that I have played and I know the recordings very well. Your performance is one of the best I know of. Wonderful changes of color and dynamics, including some really fierce, percussive chords in IV - Uneasy. And lovely little details like the slight emphasis and shaping given to the repeated eighth notes in the Passacaglia.

The only complaint I have (and it is a small one, and might be entirely my imagination) is that there is a subtle but notable change in the recorded sound between the end of the Passacaglia and the beginning of the theme...the overall level of the guitar seems slightly fuller, and it provides a little extra emphasis that, to me, takes something away from an otherwise beautiful transition.

This little detail hardly dents what is otherwise a terrific performance, and this album will go from Apple Music streaming to my permanent collection!
I actually haven't listened to it in iTunes or Apple Music, and don't intend to either - the mix that they use isn't the best for classical (least of all CG). Listening to a copy of the physical disc is a completely different experience with fare more range of colour/dynamic.

More importantly, I should thank you for your kind words. Vastly appreciated and very sweet.

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I forgot to finish - the iTunes mix style means that I only wonder to what extent you'd notice that change in a copy of the CD.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

One thing I forgot to ask: which transcription of "Forlorn Hope" did you use...or did you make your own?
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 pm

seanstshibe wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:03 pm

I forgot to finish - the iTunes mix style means that I only wonder to what extent you'd notice that change in a copy of the CD.
I'll let you know when I get the CD!
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm
One thing I forgot to ask: which transcription of "Forlorn Hope" did you use...or did you make your own?
Started with Luca Trabucchi published by Sinfonica but definitely changed enough to call it my own. So the score I use looks like his, but it's covered in scribbles. In recording there's the joy of using a drop D at points which really changes the structure of certain phrases.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Fantastic news Sean - of course you don't know it but I have quietly laid a hope at your feet - that of restoring my pleasure in recorded guitar music. You are the only player I've ever heard worthy to stand on the shoulders of Bream, and with a truly original voice to boot. If the CD catches even half the character of your live performances we're on to a winner.

Seriously looking forward to this (and to your Bach in Thirsk this Autumn).

An aside: Do you recall last year at Bootham School? You said that you would be switching from the "Kneck-up" to an alternative support - how did that turn out?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:53 pm

This is the first CD I've actively gone and ordered for ages. I was thinking about it, then Walton 5 came up on your website automatic play thingy and that ending is staggering! - so its ordered straight away :bravo:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:This is the first CD I've actively gone and ordered for ages.
Exactly - me too. So ... no pressure then. Heard him play Walton - Dowland - Arnold - Britten last year ... staggering is the word.

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 pm
Fantastic news Sean - of course you don't know it but I have quietly laid a hope at your feet - that of restoring my pleasure in recorded guitar music. You are the only player I've ever heard worthy to stand on the shoulders of Bream, and with a truly original voice to boot. If the CD catches even half the character of your live performances we're on to a winner.

Seriously looking forward to this (and to your Bach in Thirsk this Autumn).

An aside: Do you recall last year at Bootham School? You said that you would be switching from the "Kneck-up" to an alternative support - how did that turn out?
Hey Mark - thanks! I can only say that I'm really happy with what's been made with the label. I feel that most commercial labels see the guitar as a one trick pony, but Delphian bucks that trend. It's also a great label in that it believes in its artists; getting them 'out there' to a degree that I find truly astonishing. Of course, every label does this to an extent (or intends/purports to), but there's a reason Delphian won Gramaphone label of the year in 2015 - the editor explained to me a couple of months ago that this is why.

Anyway, I'm not sure about copyright - it's possible that I've actually gone against label wishes by making this clip available on this forum - but I know that there are 2/3 other clips on my site - some sweet part of the Arnold Fantasy and an excerpt of Walton III. Judge away ;)

Haven't yet transitioned - silly but finding a troster is something I've been saying to myself/other people that I'll do for a VERY long time and still haven't...
Last edited by Sean Shibe on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Shibe

Post by Sean Shibe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:53 pm
This is the first CD I've actively gone and ordered for ages. I was thinking about it, then Walton 5 came up on your website automatic play thingy and that ending is staggering! - so its ordered straight away :bravo:
Thanks Stephen :) Long time no see, btw, hope all is well!

Return to “Members' Announcements”