James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
James Lister
Luthier

Re: James Lister - luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks Tomzooki and George!

Lots of good feedback on the Madagascar rosewood guitar above, but probably more interest in the prototype experimental guitar I took. More information on this coming soon!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

carlEdwards

Post by carlEdwards » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

I am so glad I listened to the audio samples. Beautiful tone!

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am

Wow, nearly 6 months since I posted here, must have been too busy making guitars.

Anyway, just to say I'll be exhibiting my guitars at the Classical Guitar Weekend, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, UK this coming weekend (19th/20th). I'm hoping to have 3 guitars with me - the Madagascar rosewood instrument pictured above, another fairly standard spruce/indian rosewood instrument, and an experimental guitar I've been working on recently. Here's a pic of the head. I hope to have more pics soon, but since the back isn't on yet - I still have quite a bit of work to do this week!
DSC_8300-1.jpg
More details of the event here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=74462

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 am

Just a quick plug for my French Polishing instructional DVD, in case anyone who's interested hasn't seen it yet...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66192

James

VinD

Post by VinD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi James, again really good to meet you at BH and see your guitars in the wood. Pictures say a lot but being able to appreciate how good they look and feel is much better. Would've been better still with less back ground noise to get a better appreciation of the sound even with my limited skill. I like the arm rest on your guitars both aesthetically & ergonomically.
James Lister spruce/maple, On-one 456ti

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi Vinny,

It's taken me a while to come around to the idea of putting arm rests on my guitars - I think I was largely put off by some of the commercial "add-on" ones, which look really clumsy IMO. For me the main advantage is in comfort and ease of movement of the right hand position. On my own guitars without arm rests, I find I have to make a deliberate effort to damp the soundboard with my arm in order to hear any difference, so they don't seem that necessary to me from that point of view. If you're making guitars with really thin tops, however (like my experimental guitar), then perhaps it's more of an issue. I'm keen on trying a removable arm rest, held on by rare earth magnets, so maybe I'll try that out on the experimental guitar.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Just a quick update and a few pics of my latest "non-commission" guitar - this one was finished yesterday, and will be exhibited at a few venues this year, starting with the Classical Guitar Retreat on Cumbrae in Scotland (which actually started today). I'll be there just for the weekend (hopefully including the party on Sunday evening!), and will have with me this guitar, and the experimental one mentioned above. Looking forward to meeting a few Delcamp members again, and hopefully making some new friends as well.

Anyway, here's the guitar - Pau Ferro back and sides (3-piece back), spruce top, Alessi tuners, Cedrela neck, ebony fingerboard. This one's a bit of a departure for me as it's based not on my own design, but on a guitar by Romanillos. Early days sound wise, but so far I'm very pleased with it.
Dsc_0084.jpg
Dsc_0096.jpg
Dsc_0075.jpg
Dsc_0068.jpg
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Nice photo of Amanda Cook playing the above Pau Ferro guitar.

Her post on Twitter:

" I was lucky to try @JListerGuitars brand new guitar. Amazingly warm and rich sound for a few days old spruce guitar."
uploadfromtaptalk1374330204391.jpg
Photo by Erik Zurcher

James

James Lister
Luthier

Re: James Lister - Facebook page

Post by James Lister » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

I've been on Facebook for some years now, but have finally managed to set up a Facebook "page" for my luthiery business. I'll be posting updates about my latest projects, upcoming events and exhibitions, and photos showing work in progress as well as finished guitars. If you're on Facebook and are interested in keeping up with what I'm up to in the workshop, you can find my page here.

I am also on Twitter if you would like to follow me. Twitter

:merci:

James

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks James. I am now stalking you! :-)

Peter

kcc

Post by kcc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks for your sharing on the facebook.

love those guitars by your students :D

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:22 pm

A few photos of my latest build. This guitar was a commission for William Johnston - some of you may remember he sold his first Lister guitar through this forum a while ago in order to fund this new guitar.

A number of interesting features - this was the first elevated fingerboard guitar I've built, which required a different construction method. The neck is joined to the body with a tapered tenon joint. The elevation is achieved by sloping down the upper bout of the top, rather than changing the neck/body angle.

The scale length is 660mm (another first for me), and the neck is significantly thicker than normal to accommodate William's large hands! The back and sides are Amazon rosewood, and the top Lutz spruce. Machine heads a very nice Rodgers units - beautiful and silky smooth!

One of William's requirements was for more sustain, so I made a few tweaks to the thicknessing and weighting of the top. Together with the longer scale length, and dense back and sides, these changes definitely helped the sustain.

As you can see, I also fitted a compensated nut...
Front.jpg
Elevated.jpg
Head.jpg
Side view.jpg
Nut.jpg
James

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Lovely looking. The grain on the top is very nice as well. Hopefully William will make some recordings.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

That is a seriously beautiful guitar. If it sounds as good as it looks, and I'm sure it does, then I want one. :chaud:

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks guys. I've always been a bit unsure about the aesthetics of the elevated fingerboard, but in the end I was very pleased with it - and even more importantly so was the customer!

James

Return to “Members' Announcements”