Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Tonyyyyy

Re: Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Post by Tonyyyyy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Even Sea water .......

Glad I have just entered a no-nails period (just got a vihuela)
So I can now Kayak all day , every day! Except I am a bit of a coward, so I might not.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Good luck with the vihuela, Tonyyyy! Such a rich and still largely unexplored repertoire.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:51 pm

I cut my nails off last night LOL :) I'm starting out on my uke as it seems to be easier to get good tone on it without nails.

If anything it IS a more quiet and intimate sound...I'm sure my neighbors appreciate that!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Well done! It will certainly be quiet right now, but if you develop the correct stroke, it will definitely be as loud as you played before. I have no problem with volume. Let us know how you get on. Remember, most people who suddenly chop their nails off put false ones on within a week. You have to look at it as a long-term thing. Each person is different, so might get great results within a few days, or it might take months. It is definitely worth the effort.

Remember not to start playing with the same technique you've used for (perhaps) years. Flesh playing requires adapting your technique. Hopefully my videos will help you. Any questions, just ask.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks Rob!

Yes I've noticed almost right away that I get better sound by keeping my wrist straight and letting my thumb follow-through inside of my hand. The uke sounds quite beautiful this way :)

The guitar....not so much yet haha.

But your videos and technical advice have been very helpful so far.

Thanks!!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm

One more thing, lower-tension strings work better for this technique, and can seem louder.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh great good tip thanks!!

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:02 pm

I agree about lower tension strings ; maybe tune a semitone low, that is if you dont have to play with anyone at A440. Aquila strings are good on ukes for no-nail playing - guitar too

Dont get stressed! - I remember missing the string frequently when I first played without nails

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Glad to see your site, Rob, as no-nails playing deserves better press than it usually gets. I play both with nails and without. Not hard to do, since I use nails held on by adhesive dots, heh. I spend a few hours each week playing without nails, which I enjoy immensely. It's a different feel, and a different sound, certainly.

For me, one of the greatest factors in playing without nails is environmental noise. Now, I'm not talking about a jackhammer or boombox nearby, but things like a refrigerator in the next room, or traffic noise a half mile away... background sounds one doesn't usually notice after becoming accustomed to them. I find that when I'm playing without nails, I need something much closer to absolute environmental silence (as if that's actually possible) than when I'm playing with nails.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:06 am

How strange, Lawler. My family usually tell me I'm playing too loud! I couldn't do what you do, for the simple reason that my flesh technique is different from my nail technique. In my experience, fingers accustomed to playing with nails just don't get good volume when they play the same way without nails. To me, the techniques are very different.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Tonyyyyy wrote:I agree about lower tension strings ; maybe tune a semitone low, that is if you dont have to play with anyone at A440. Aquila strings are good on ukes for no-nail playing - guitar too

Dont get stressed! - I remember missing the string frequently when I first played without nails
Which aquilas do you like? And thanks for the encouragement! ! I do indeed miss the strings every so often...or for an unknown reason certain notes will ring out much louder than others lol. Anyway, it's a work in progress...I'm planning on recording something soon ;)

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:47 pm

On my uke is whatever Aquila set they had in the local shop - Im not sure. But I just looked on the Elderly Instruments website, and they now have ''Supernylgut ' I dont know what that is like. I've used Alabastro on guitar in the past, and probably will go back to it again as I seem to be in a no-nails period.
I do indeed miss the strings every so often...or for an unknown reason certain notes will ring out much louder than others lol.
With nails I tend to have less contact with the string - no-nails more contact. That may help to avoid misses and random louder notes. As Rob says no-nails needs a rather different technique and we find out what works partly by experimentation

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Supernylgut is a slightly different colour than the white nylgut, more yellowish - claimed to make it look like gut. It also gets and stays in tune better than old nylgut, which is a blessing. Sounds pretty much the same, though.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Rob,

I've been playing with no nails for 40 years, but sure could have used some advice and guidance about the differences in technique when I was starting out, rather than having to struggle on my own to figure it out! I've been on your web site and have enjoyed reading, watching, and listening to the information there. Way to go, and I appreciate it!

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks, Joe. Appreciated!

Return to “Members' Announcements”