Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Craig

Re: Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Post by Craig » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Rob, Thank you for the website. Have enjoyed running across your videos in the past ... didn't know you were nail-less. Also, forgot that Tárrega switched to no-nails. Or that Segovia would teach such a thing!

Am still working on nail-playing so won't change at this time. But have wondered for some time about the advantages of nail-less playing. Though relatively new to the CG world, will venture some observations, thoughts and muses ...

First, the only real disadvantage with no-nails (that I can think of) is lack of very bright tones.

But there seems to be many advantages of no-nails:
  • Being free to play other instruments that nails would interfere with
    Easier 'balancing' between right hand and slurs (hammer-on/pull-off) - afterall, these are nail-less 'plectrums'
    No more problem with broken nails or activities that might damage a nail
    Some guys feel awkward with nails (my wife does not like my nails - which is awkward ... "a happy wife makes for a happy life")
    Difficulty getting very mellow tones with nails
So, over time will enjoy reading the website. Again, thank you!
2013 Hippner Spruce/BRW 8-string

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Cheers, Craig. I never set out to change anyone's mind about playing with nails, but, yes, there are advantages. I do feel sorry, though, when players want to give it a try, cut their nails off, and then regret doing so after a week or less because they still use the same technique they used for nail playing. It will never work as well.
Since making the website, I've been getting quite a few emails from flesh players saying the website helps them a lot. Job done.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:54 am

Here's a nice Manuel Ramirez:

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p3418- ... -spcy.html

Cypress (lovely!) Back/Sides and looks to have some sort of figured wood Neck. Nice simple rosette, understated look. They don't make 'em like this anymore! and Cypress doesn't grow on trees either, at least not like it did in those days. There's a lot of soul in Guitars made form Cypress, for obvious reasons.
It probably has less in common with the later, larger Madrid style Guitars, apart from the name.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 am

I imagine it costs a pretty penny.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 am

Probably not in the real 'serious' league. I don't think we are looking at the high Torres or Bouchet prices. £15 K - something like that, perhaps a bit less. This looks to be one of his simpler or less decorated models. I also think that originally it would have been furnished with friction Pegs and the tuners are a later conversion. The tuners don't really fit, that's for certain. It's a poor conversion.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:47 am

The one I played was cypress, and had pegs. So it must have been one of his cheap models, and probably not made by him. But clearly his assistants turned out to be some of the finest makers of the new century, and it would have been his design, I imagine. Whatever, it is a superb guitar.

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:04 am

The son of a co-worker of mine plays CG w/o nails. However, I play with nails, but sometimes on the final chord of a piece I prefer the softer sound of brushing the strings with the flesh of my thumb instead of the nail.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 am

Well, it's a start ;-)

ChasW

Post by ChasW » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:55 am

Rob,
I was just enjoying the videos linked from your website. Your tone is very good.
I really like your Adelita and Lagrima. Both very expressive and heart felt.
May I ask what strings you used on the Torres Copy?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks, Chas. I think they were Aquila Ambra, though I'm not 100% sure, but most likely the were.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:44 am

slidika wrote:The son of a co-worker of mine plays CG w/o nails. However, I play with nails, but sometimes on the final chord of a piece I prefer the softer sound of brushing the strings with the flesh of my thumb instead of the nail.
I do the opposite - my default at the moment is no-nail thumb but by slightly changing the angle I can catch the nail and totally change the sound. The best of both worlds perhaps

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 pm

If wanting to play fast picado, what is the easiest/ most effective way of playing it, without nails?
I'm trying to learn this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgR7YJpOoPE

The run at the beginning is too fast for me, although I'm gradually getting closer with nails. Without nails I lose a lot of speed. Maybe I should be trying p,i, instead of i.m. ?
I've just about given up on trying to keep any nail. Commonly I play a week with nails and two or three without!
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:17 pm

You need to start smoking cigarettes if you want to burn like that!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:29 pm

Nice pun! I gave them up 5 years ago. Come to think of it I may have played a lot faster back then.
It must be possible. I'll take a guess and say that Ms. Luque could burn like that, she probably wouldn't need the nicotine either.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Certainly she could. There are speed players with and without nails. Either way, I'm not one of them. I like to boast I can player slower and quieter than anyone! ;-)

Return to “Members' Announcements”