Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Tonyyyyy

Re: Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Post by Tonyyyyy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Michael.N. wrote:If wanting to play fast picado, what is the easiest/ most effective way of playing it, without nails?
I'm trying to learn this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgR7YJpOoPE

The run at the beginning is too fast for me, although I'm gradually getting closer with nails. Without nails I lose a lot of speed. Maybe I should be trying p,i, instead of i.m. ?
I've just about given up on trying to keep any nail. Commonly I play a week with nails and two or three without!
I've not tried this one, though I love Baden's music. I think pipi on the basses would help. I think the composer would not begrudge us the occasional slur to help speed things.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:07 am

I was thinking p,i, on all the fast run notes, lute style. I can do p,i scale type notes but nowhere near the speed as some. I tend to keep the forearm static and just move the thumb and index finger. I don't think that's the way it's taught though. One tip I heard that Violinists use is to alter the rhythm of a 7 note sequence (open, up and down) using a dotted quaver, semi quaver pattern and then switching that rhythm around. That supposedly helps with the coordination and assists the speed. I'll try it on both i,m and p,i.
It's really his arrangement, done in his style. He seemed to change the way he played pieces fairly frequently, not to mention his Chopin and Bach which are hardly faithful to the originals. I guess altering things is hardly a great sin. Maybe I should forget the fast runs altogether. That will make things a bit easier.
Historicalguitars.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Maybe I should forget the fast runs altogether. That will make things a bit easier.
Don't give up! Check out Pujol's playing of the Luys Milan Pavana on Rob's site. Specifically bars 35-37 of the piece. His descending scale runs here are so clean and crisp :) Perhaps not quite as fast as Senhor Powell...but very fast nonetheless! If Pujol can do it...maybe we can too? lol
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:14 pm

No, I'll not give up. Given time, practice and providing my Back/shoulder behave, on a good day I might get close. It's fast but I'm not sure it's as fast as some of those crazy Flamenco guys. Anyway, speed is only one aspect. I get very bored of hearing fast runs if they are overdone in any one piece.
Historicalguitars.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Anyway, speed is only one aspect. I get very bored of hearing fast runs if they are overdone in any one piece.
Couldn't agree more! It's impressive and I'm like, "Wow cool" for about 3 minutes...any longer and it starts to annoy me haha.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:09 am

Just as a little aside. Around 6 months ago I emailed a Jazz loving friend of mine. He's big on the history of it all. I remarked that up until recently I hadn't been aware that Baden Powell had been a little too fond of the demon drink.
His email back simply said: 'Musicians and alcoholism. I've never heard of that before.'
:D I guess I had it coming.
Historicalguitars.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:09 am

Yes well musicians don't exactly a great track record in that regard haha. Remember VH1's behind the music? Lol

andries veldhuis

Post by andries veldhuis » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Rob,

Love your website and your playing. Being myself a no-nailer on guitar for more than 25 years, I see there is still a lot to learn.
Best regards,

Andries

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks, Andries! One day we will rise like lions after slumber! ;-)

CSeye

Post by CSeye » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:25 am

Rob,

It's reassuring that playing without nails is not some anomaly.
I will be spending time at your web site.

Thank you.

Wally
Classical guitar: Cordoba C9c. Octava small and large condenser microphones.
2012 Mac Mini, OSX 10.11.6, Logic Pro X, Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA/LGX-SA/Roland GI-20, MIDI Guitar app, JTV-59 + Fishman Triple Play.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 am

Cheers, Wally. Good to hear.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Alright...Here's my first go at this 'new' technique haha. I'm playing mostly rest strokes here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=99219

Cheers!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:39 pm

I've left a comment. Great start!

Bob Johansson

Post by Bob Johansson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks for posting. As a full time physical therapist I cannot grow nails. Good to see there are others. I also have trouble playing fast passages, but I am not losing any sleep over it!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:51 pm

Cheers, Bob. Some manage to play really fast without nails, but I'm not one of them. I don't lose sleep over it either. Plenty of repertoire to keep me busy.

Return to “Members' Announcements”