Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
tateharmann

Re: Website Devoted To No-Nails CG Technique

Post by tateharmann » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Here's my progress after a couple more weeks: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=99219

Still working to get nice rich sound from the trebles...the bass was pretty easy from the start :)
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm

And something else as I'm sick of recording the same Tarrega prelude: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=99536

I can get good sound out of 'p', 'i', and 'm' now...my 'a' finger is still a different story, though. Sounds very tinny to me. I'm hoping that it improves with time and practice :)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes, my 'A' finger doesn't produce the full sound when compared to the others. Probably still a bit weak.
Historicalguitars.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm going to practice by playing some simple pieces and scales soley with my 'A' finger. That shouldn't be too maddening, right? Hahaha

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi

I have played no nail for 40 years steel, nylon and fretless bass. I believe that opinions differ and personal taste / techniques vary. Great to see so many interested people contribute though.

Lockie

Alex Pineiro

Post by Alex Pineiro » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you for the video postings first of all as they were most entertaining, and interesting. I am by no means an "accomplished", or even very good classical guitar player, but my first instructor in classical guitar was an old, and I mean old family friend who loved Carlevaro and spoke of his methods often.

I am not sure if in his opinion of nails vs no nails he was also referring to Carlevaro or not as he did not qualify the remark as belonging to that school of thought, however as he put it and as close as I can recall, "In the striking of the strings on a guitar, there is not as much difference as is often argued between playing with nails or without. The actual striking of a skilled one who plays with nails involves not only the nail but also that little fleshy part of the finger. By a very small adjustment, one way or the other, the skillful player can change tone, and more, so really it is a question when playing of not nails vs no nails, but one of how much or how little of either."

As I have said above, I have much to learn myself, but in playing around with this idea and experimenting on even a very simple piece of music, I have to agree with this view, that the debate is a moot one, which each player unique onto themselves. In the end, of all the various musical pieces I have listened to over the years, I never paid much attention to or cared about nails or no nails when the player was obviously a skilled player and only took note when a player claimed mastery but exhibited a great deal of extraneous "noise" such as string scratching and acted as if it were a normal part of the musical piece. In the end what is important is the perfection and beauty of the music.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Well, no one should disagree that it doesn't matter what technique you have, as long as it sounds good. Or that each individual must find their own way. But life is not so simple. There are many, many guitar students who have been told that they should give up, try another instrument, if they can't or don't want to grow their nails. My evidence for this is the number of people who have written to me with their stories. My website is in part a plea to "legitimise" no-nails technique, show that it has a long and very distinguished history, to counter the claims of bad teachers, and to give encouragement to those who play without nails.

Return to “Members' Announcements”