Albinoni, Tomaso; Adagio

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename; catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico; K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A.; Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon.; Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members having made 2 posts and joined the 002 group.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Albinoni, Tomaso; Adagio

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's my attempt at a timeless classic from the Baroque period. Many thanks to jimmyblues for supplying the pdf here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27411

I also made a video of this (different performance) which you can see here if you're interested:

http://www.vimeo.com/867478

All the best

Denian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Homer is new and fresh this morning, and nothing, perhaps, is so old and tired as today's newspaper."
Charles Péguy

Vesuvio

Re: Albinoni, Tomaso; Adagio

Postby Vesuvio » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello Denian,

Yes, timeless—thank you very much for playing and recording this so beautifully for us all to enjoy,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Denian,

Thank you. This is one of my favourite pieces of music. Very nice arrangement, beautifully and movingly played.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

owl

Postby owl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Oh gosh Denian... I love this piece, and you play it so beautifully
Just a lovely expressive rendition... thank you so much

Joy in the music

Owl
PS. On my third play and I'm quite overcome! :flowers:
PPS. Is a video an option? :roll:
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks for the comments-always much appreciated. I'll have a go at making a video of it this Sunday and I'll put it on youtube. :) The severe compression necessary to make a file this size fit the 8mb Delcamp limit results in the sound being ruined. :cry:

Denian
"Homer is new and fresh this morning, and nothing, perhaps, is so old and tired as today's newspaper."
Charles Péguy

owl

Postby owl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:56 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:I'll have a go at making a video of it this Sunday and I'll put it on youtube. :) The severe compression necessary to make a file this size fit the 8mb Delcamp limit results in the sound being ruined. :cry:

Thank you Denian, that's great... I so love this piece :D
I know how frustrating it is to have to compress so heavily... but we hope for the best :roll:
YouTube is a good option for videos

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

camytay

Postby camytay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:22 am

Great to hear how well this amazing piece works on guitar. Beautifully played, thanks for posting.

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:12 am

Hello Denian,

Denian Arcoleo wrote:...I'll have a go at making a video of it this Sunday and I'll put it on youtube...

Thank you for sharing your work with us, I am looking forward to your video,

All the best, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 am

Apparently this piece isn't by Albinoni and was in fact composed in the 20thC!! I looked up Albinoni's Adagio on Wikipedia and found that:

Adagio in G minor for strings and organ is a piece composed by Remo Giazotto(1910-1998) while supposedly based on a fragment from a Sonata in G minor by Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni which was found amongst the ruins of the old Saxon State Library, Dresden, after it was firebombed by the Allies during World War II. The Adagio was first published in 1958.

:!:

Blimey, I didn't know that.
Charles Péguy

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:10 am

Hello Denian,

Denian Arcoleo wrote:...The Adagio was first published in 1958...

I would never have imagined that! Besides, I thought José de Azpiazu was a nineteenth century composer/arranger,

Best wishes, V :?

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 am

Vesuvio wrote: I thought José de Azpiazu was a nineteenth century composer/arranger

I believe Jose de Azpiazu was born in 1912 and died in 1986. I suspect this makes him a 20th century composer and arranger :?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995).
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014).

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:41 am

If Aspiazu was born 1912 and died 1986, then there's nothing to suspect, he was a 20thC composer and arranger :?
Charles Péguy

wolfgang

Postby wolfgang » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:47 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote:If Aspiazu was born 1912 and died 1986, then there's nothing to suspect, he was a 20thC composer and arranger :?

Therefore the copyright issue needs to be taken into consideration as well :(
The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind. (Katie Melua)

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:00 am

Hello Wolfgang,

wolfgang wrote:...Therefore the copyright issue needs to be taken into consideration as well :(

Yes, I guess so. The best of intentions but...

Best wishes, V

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:03 am

Didn't think of that!
I recorded it yesterday thinking of it as a piece by Albinoni and then, this morning,( after a little digging prompted by the headings on the score), I discover this story which is filed in Wikipedia under the heading 'musical hoaxes'.
Wolfgang, maybe we should ask JFD whether he thinks I should withdraw it.It does seem a rather peculiar case.
Charles Péguy

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”