Ana Vidovic

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.

Re: Ana Vidovic

Postby adey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm

That clip of her playing Asturias was my first introduction to the glorious Ana Vidovic and I've watched it many times in the last few months. She makes me feel depressed and inspired both at the same time.

Some people claim "too fast, too fast", but to these ears it can't be played too quickly. Ana plays it faster than anyone I've ever seen and it's just brain melting, dribble down your shirt stuff. With that piece she is surely approaching the limit of what a trained right hand can physically achieve. Everone should be allowed to have a firework in their box of delights somewhere.
Current guitar: Manuel Raimundo 138 solid wood guitar: Walnut, Cedar, Ebony.
adey

Postby robin loops » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:50 am

That is a crazy fast one! Truly amazing. People claim she plays it too fast, but the original (piano) is quite fast and while it may sound really nice slowed down a bit when played on guitar, there's 'intent of composer' to consider in addition to 'how it sounds best when transcribed to different instrument'. So although we may enjoy slower versions (and some prefer them) and they may be perfectly viable options, this one really can't be 'played too fast'.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-
robin loops

Postby IgorLichtmannGuitar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 am

Shes is very talanted, and also a good performer! She was invited couple of weeks ago, to give masterclass in our university, and as i teacher, none of us was impressed about her,

but.. what a woman...! ;)

Regards From Salzburg
IgorLichtmannGuitar

Postby Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:31 am

My observation so far is that for those who have heard the piano version of Asturias "too fast" for a guitarist is closer to "normal tempo" for pianists.
Jeremiah Lawson

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:58 am

IgorLichtmannGuitar wrote:.....and as i teacher, none of us was impressed about her,

Regards From Salzburg

How can this be?......................?..........................?

Bailey
Hill Performance 2013
Hippner Hauser 2011
Bailey

Postby George Crocket » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 am

Bailey wrote:
IgorLichtmannGuitar wrote:.....and as i teacher, none of us was impressed about her,

Regards From Salzburg

How can this be?......................?..........................?

Bailey

My understanding is that it was thought that her teaching skills were not especially great. There is no reason to expect that people who have wonderful skills in one area, such as playing the classical guitar, are necessarily able to impart those skills well. Teaching in itself is a talent that takes quite a lot of work to develop.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby Bailey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks George.

Yes, I think I misinterpreted the comment from IgorLichtmannGuitar.

I read it as a statement that he, being a teacher, was not impressed with her skills. I think I was thrown off by the "...as i teacher...." word usage. I realize now that I should have read it as they were not impressed with her teaching skills.

I am very familiar with the situation where subject matter experts/artists are not accomplished teachers; in many instances, not just in music.

Still, a trip to Baltimore to get a lesson or two from Anna is high up on my list of things to do............

Bailey
Hill Performance 2013
Hippner Hauser 2011
Bailey

Postby Jstanley01 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:26 pm

IgorLichtmannGuitar wrote:Shes is very talanted, and also a good performer! She was invited couple of weeks ago, to give masterclass in our university, and as i teacher, none of us was impressed about her,

but.. what a woman...! ;)

Regards From Salzburg

Yeah, I'd take that comment not with a grain of salt. More like a fifty pound bag.
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields
Jstanley01

Postby SteveGangi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Erik Zurcher:

She plays Bach, Piazzolla, Ponce, William Walton, Moreno-Torroba, Paganini, Sergio Assad, Stanley Myers, Castelnuovo-Tedesco and a few others, and she plays them exceptionally well. She used to play Sor and Giuliani.

She also plays or has played Pierre Bensusan's "Altiplano" which is very beautiful and haunting.

Copyrighted DVD link removed
SteveGangi

Postby ryanw9 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Has anyone seen her recital on youtube that begins with Paganini's Grande Sonata? (Not sure if the copyright allows me to post it or not.)
ryanw9

Postby doug » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 pm

I just purchased a couple of tickets to see her perform in Bethesda, MD on Jan 26th. She will be performing in Whitefish, MT on Feb. 23rd with the Glacier Symphony, and my daughter-in-law plays violin with that group.
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby jwp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this - I hadn't seen it. That video should be posted as the automatic first response to every post that starts "I have small hands ...."
John W. Pierce
Seguin, Tx, USA
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
jwp

Postby Nitin Nepali » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Ana is 'The Miss Beethoven' of Classical guitar no doubt :P
Nitin Nepali

Postby hyz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 am

Just wonder how she can produce such wonderful sound and tone color with a lattice braced guitar?

hyz
hyz

Postby billder99 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Love the double footstools... I can't resist opening anything with Ana's name on it, wonderful to see her as a young child.
The Tree: I was alive in the forest, I was cut by the cruel axe. In life I was silent, In death I sweetly sing.
billder99

Previous

Return to Our favourite websites